• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:21 PM

Pure Tileset Basic v2.5

Download

I'm currently working on an alternate continuation of Wild Bill's Pure Tileset v2. Mr.Z took Pure Tileset Update into an extremely comprehensive direction and there is definitely nothing wrong with that. But I'm intending to take this variant in a different direction.

This continuation intends to capitalize on one of Pure Tileset's fundamentals: keeping things simple and easy to use. To be more specific, the surface isn't going to vary much from Pure Tileset v2. There will only be minor combo re-organizations (though people will have to press right-shift and the plus button at least 4 times on every overworld screen if they want to re-use overworld screens from v2), there is no intention of including every possible tile and combo someone might want to use, and there will be plenty of room to add your own graphics. Admittedly, this is partially being done out of laziness. There is no way I'd have the patience to modify a tileset that includes everything and the kitchen sink like PTUX or the DoR Tileset. But I also just like the flow of version 2 and don't want to disrupt that too much.

Besides, we have a tile database with a lot of tiles already colored for the tileset. icon_shrug.gif

But there will definitely be new features.

Screenshots

IPB Image
Here are the combo aliases that have been set up. I admit it's not much to look at (and I haven't done dungeons yet), but most of them are there for really common stuff or examples of setting them up on your own. Also, Alias 0 is a shortcut to erase one combo on all the layers.

IPB Image
Here you can see the favorite combos that have been set up.

IPB Image
The "new" enemy tiles. Let it be known I cannot draw, so I pulled the NES tactic of color variations. icon_frown.gif Some of them are from PTUX or EZGBZ, though. Also, those remaining classic tiles from enemies that were not used will probably be removed from the final release.

IPB Image
This is even more proof of my graphics "skill." I imported a lot of these graphics from PTUX or EZGBZ and did some minor editing. Some of it came out better than other stuff. I also have a few scratch and unused tiles sitting here that I need to delete.

IPB Image
Here is one of the subscreens. It needs a tiny bit more work... and the timer is broken for some reason even though I didn't have cheats on when first pulling this up and the quest rule is on.

Features

Here's a rundown of what I'm intending to do with this (most of this has already been done or is in progress):
  • All of the default 2.50 enemies will have their tiles filled in.
  • All of the default 2.50 items will be fully functional.
  • Some combo aliases have been added.
  • Some favorite combos have been added to act as bookmarks.
  • The Link sprites will work with all the 2.50 features.
  • Water has been fixed to not be solid so that drowning can work.
  • The custom subscreens New A and New A+B from the classic tileset have been copied over.
  • Graphical fixes to some of the tiles, combos, and sprites from version 2.
  • New SFX.
  • A new default overworld palette.
  • Other combo types such as lock blocks (which technically should have already been done icon_razz.gif ) and Bush->Next will be implemented properly.
  • The scrolls are not just pictures of scrolls with hard to tell variations. Yes. This is a feature. icon_frown.gif
  • There will be pre-compiled scripts for things such as signs. The idea is that you shouldn't need to edit the script files (which will also be bundled) and compile them again at all. You actually shouldn't even need to fool with FFCs that much. Thanks goes to Saffith for bringing up the idea a year ago.
Progress and Things I Need

I've completed most of the items listed in the features or at least started on them, but I still need to do a few things. I also need some graphics that I was unable to find variants for because I suck at custom sprite creation. I'd prefer to have the things such as graphics before a public beta release of the tileset happens since I want the beta to be usable.
  • I decided to use Radien's LTTP Link Tiles Full Remake for Link sprites since it had a set of tiles already recolored for Pure Tileset, tiles for things like jumping, and ALTTP Link is what Pure Tileset Link was based on to start with. However, I am missing charge sprites (the sprites where Link walks around while charging the sword). If someone could make them for this Link, I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise, Link is probably going to be a force user with a floating sword. A minor nitpick I have is that the outline style really doesn't fit with Pure Tileset entirely, but I'm not a tile artist capable of fixing that (if it even needs to be fixed).
  • I filled in ALTTP SFX for most of the classic sounds, but I am unsure what to do about the boss roars.
  • When the beta comes out, there is a lot of graphics that people will probably feel the need to replace with better graphics. Like I said before, I'm not a master tile artist. So any suggestions would be helpful.
  • If you have any suggestions for scripts I could add, feel free to bring them up. Just note that I'm probably going to be really picky about scripts that I actually add since I want them to remain simple and going with the style of the tileset (they should feel natural). At this point, I haven't started on the scripts yet.
  • There needs to be a new default overworld palette. I feel that having such a thing would be a huge face lift. While I might try to see if I can mix something from other tilesets, if someone has a palette they'd like to share that could fit for this role, feel free to do so. My only specific request here is that it's not overly yellow-brownish (particularly with the grass) since Pure Tileset is not a next gen console game. icon_razz.gif Example of what I'm talking about from the DoR Tileset.
  • The subscreens are not finished. I haven't touched the passive subscreen at all and the active subscreens still need some adjustments to look okay.
  • If you have any other ideas of things I could do, feel free to share them. icon_smile.gif
On a final note, I intend to give credits for the resources I'm yanking from tilesets such as Pure Tileset Extreme, EZGBZ, or the tile database. So if anyone does help me in collecting some of this stuff I'm asking for, I'll be giving you credit. That was mostly a given, but I wanted to clarify that in case it wasn't. icon_razz.gif

I'm hoping to get a public beta running sometime within the next two weeks.

#2 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

I can't look at those Pure example screens anymore without thinking Hero of Dreams.

This looks great. We really need more tilesets that are 2.5 ready. I know EZGBZ has been updated to 2.5 already, but we still need more of the big tilesets to be caught up. This is going tol be really helpful to a lot of designers.

#3 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:44 PM

This gets all of my YES!

I've wanted to do something like this for the longest time as Pure V2.2 is my favorite tileset. But due to being busy and being lazy (mostly being lazy) I never finished it.

I look forward to the completion of this. icon_smile.gif

#4 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:55 PM

You're my hero. This is amazing. Spectacular. Wonderful. While I can't really help out much (tile and palette editing really isn't my forte), I'd like to make a suggestion. Would it be possible to set up the dungeon walls and floor borders to use dungeon carving and relational modes? It's one of 2.5's handiest features, so a tileset being optimized for 2.5 really oughta have out-of-the-box support for it. Just my two cents.

Seriously though, this is a great idea. All of my approval.

#5 MoscowModder

MoscowModder

Sometimes lurking. Rarely posting.

• Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

Would it be possible to set up the dungeon walls and floor borders to use dungeon carving and relational modes? It's one of 2.5's handiest features, so a tileset being optimized for 2.5 really oughta have out-of-the-box support for it.

I second the motion, and would suggest that other things like grass/sand borders, etc be likewise optimized for relational modes.

Thanks for doing this, Nick!

#6 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

For the entire duration of my reading of your post, Nick, I was thinking was the previous three posters above me were thinking. Now that I'm here, I have but one option:

Would you accept any help, if I or we can rip and give you the tiles in their already-arranged format in the tiles page for all dungeon walls and floor borders, and so on?

#7 aaa2

aaa2

Wizard

• Banned

Posted 28 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

I also have a suggestion make all the combos that need be slash next, grass next etc that will save newcomers a LOT of time by being able to avoid a lot of undercombo mumbojumbo and will also keep minor graphical bugs from happening.

#8 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE(aaa2 @ Feb 28 2013, 12:46 PM) View Post

I also have a suggestion make all the combos that need be slash next, grass next etc that will save newcomers a LOT of time by being able to avoid a lot of undercombo mumbojumbo and will also keep minor graphical bugs from happening.
This.

The one thing that bothers me is tilesets that don't have this set up, (even though it only takes a minute to set up) it is very helpful for bushes, tall grass, and flowers. Really anything that can be slashed. icon_thumbsup.gif

#9 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

It's almost as if you planned this ahead of time just to mess with me...

With the PureZC group quest most likely being done in the original style Pure set now I need to decide if I should just go ahead with the old 1.92 version or wait for this to be finished... icon_wacky.gif

#10 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

While I do not need this tileset to be done at all, it might be useful to newcomers of ZC icon_biggrin.gif

May I offer the suggestion of using another link sprite?
http://www.purezc.co...ge=tiles&id=651
^ I think that those sprites look really great for the pure tileset. and there are even shieldless link tiles.
I don't know, but in my opinion, the alttp link sprites look kinda fat...

Also:
QUOTE(Nick)
I also have a few scratch and unused tiles sitting here that I need to delete.
Do not delete them icon_thumbsup.gif
Others might still use it.

#11 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Feb 27 2013, 11:55 PM) View Post

Would it be possible to set up the dungeon walls and floor borders to use dungeon carving and relational modes? It's one of 2.5's handiest features, so a tileset being optimized for 2.5 really oughta have out-of-the-box support for it. Just my two cents.

QUOTE(MoscowModder @ Feb 28 2013, 12:59 AM) View Post

I second the motion, and would suggest that other things like grass/sand borders, etc be likewise optimized for relational modes.

Yeah. I forgot to mention that I'd probably try to insert relational and dungeon carving combos. I have to figure out where to stuff them though since there are 4 sets of dungeon walls and there are several things that could benefit from relational combos. I'll probably be taking the classic tileset approach of putting them off to the side, but I'll be sure to include favorite combos as a bookmark to them.

QUOTE(ShadowTiger @ Feb 28 2013, 08:13 AM) View Post

Would you accept any help, if I or we can rip and give you the tiles in their already-arranged format in the tiles page for all dungeon walls and floor borders, and so on?

If you can do this for the relational tiles and other things, it would be really appreciated since it would save me time having to edit together the tiles. icon_smile.gif

I have to note one thing, though:

IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB Image

I edited these dungeon walls a tiny bit by doing some rotation as opposed to flipping (the pictured sets are the only ones I did this with, so you can rip them if you want).

Here's the old version of the first set of walls from v2 for reference of why I did this:

IPB Image

Compare the corners. While what I did isn't a perfect solution (I did not edit the doors and wall set 3 couldn't work with this tweak), I think this still looks better overall.

QUOTE(aaa2 @ Feb 28 2013, 12:46 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Tingle @ Feb 28 2013, 01:14 PM) View Post

This.

The one thing that bothers me is tilesets that don't have this set up, (even though it only takes a minute to set up) it is very helpful for bushes, tall grass, and flowers. Really anything that can be slashed. icon_thumbsup.gif

I'm already on that. icon_wink.gif I've already set this up for all of the bushes and I'm definitely going to set it up for the pots. I'll have to move a few combos around to fit in grass and flowers, but it shouldn't be too bad.

QUOTE(Moosh @ Feb 28 2013, 01:22 PM) View Post

It's almost as if you planned this ahead of time just to mess with me...

With the PureZC group quest most likely being done in the original style Pure set now I need to decide if I should just go ahead with the old 1.92 version or wait for this to be finished... icon_wacky.gif

I'm not expecting this to take more than a month at most (I'm still expecting around 2 weeks before the beta, which should be usable for quest projects). What I've done so far just took me a week at most and the tileset is already almost usable out of the box for 2.50.

#12 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 28 February 2013 - 01:56 PM

QUOTE(Avataro @ Feb 28 2013, 01:49 PM) View Post

Also:Do not delete them icon_thumbsup.gif

If I might provide a counterargument, unnecessary tiles clutter up a tileset. One thing I found frustrating with the EZGBZ 2.5 tileset was how many incomplete or out of place tiles are floating around in it. Sure there's always someone who can use that stuff, but it isn't worth it when it becomes a hassle for everyone else.

#13 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE(Avataro @ Feb 28 2013, 12:49 PM) View Post
Also:Do not delete them icon_thumbsup.gif
Well, part of the reason for this tileset is to break away from the current tileset mentality of "include everything!" This tileset, at least from my view, is intended to be a very basic 2.50 tileset with everything needed to make a quest - and not a whole lot more. Essentially, we wanted a very "newbie-friendly" tileset where people wouldn't get overwhelmed from all of the extras in the tileset. icon_shrug.gif

Personally, I've felt the lack of a modern, simple tileset has been a bit of a hindrance to the ZC community. When someone new comes along, there's not really a good non-classic tileset to point people to. I guess there's the EZGBZ 2.50 tileset, but even it has way too many combos to introduce someone brand new to ZC to, in my opinion.

#14 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

This is perfect. This is my personal favorite version of Pure (cause I favor simplicity over a ton of tiles I probably won't use). I have been thinking of doing something similar for Classic, but this would more or less include things like dungeon carving wall sets, and completed enemies/ Link sprites, etc.

I think this will be a great learning resource for new users too. I like the idea of having simple scripts pre-compiled. I agree that more sets should have this, as well as other 2.5 features.

EDIT:
QUOTE(Nick @ Feb 27 2013, 11:21 PM) View Post

Progress and Things I Need

I've completed most of the items listed in the features or at least started on them, but I still need to do a few things. I also need some graphics that I was unable to find variants for because I suck at custom sprite creation. I'd prefer to have the things such as graphics before a public beta release of the tileset happens since I want the beta to be usable.
  • I decided to use Radien's LTTP Link Tiles Full Remake for Link sprites since it had a set of tiles already recolored for Pure Tileset, tiles for things like jumping, and ALTTP Link is what Pure Tileset Link was based on to start with. However, I am missing charge sprites (the sprites where Link walks around while charging the sword). If someone could make them for this Link, I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise, Link is probably going to be a force user with a floating sword. A minor nitpick I have is that the outline style really doesn't fit with Pure Tileset entirely, but I'm not a tile artist capable of fixing that (if it even needs to be fixed).
  • I filled in ALTTP SFX for most of the classic sounds, but I am unsure what to do about the boss roars.
  • When the beta comes out, there is a lot of graphics that people will probably feel the need to replace with better graphics. Like I said before, I'm not a master tile artist. So any suggestions would be helpful.
  • If you have any suggestions for scripts I could add, feel free to bring them up. Just note that I'm probably going to be really picky about scripts that I actually add since I want them to remain simple and going with the style of the tileset (they should feel natural). At this point, I haven't started on the scripts yet.
  • There needs to be a new default overworld palette. I feel that having such a thing would be a huge face lift. While I might try to see if I can mix something from other tilesets, if someone has a palette they'd like to share that could fit for this role, feel free to do so. My only specific request here is that it's not overly yellow-brownish (particularly with the grass) since Pure Tileset is not a next gen console game. icon_razz.gif Example of what I'm talking about from the DoR Tileset.
  • The subscreens are not finished. I haven't touched the passive subscreen at all and the active subscreens still need some adjustments to look okay.
  • If you have any other ideas of things I could do, feel free to share them. icon_smile.gif
On a final note, I intend to give credits for the resources I'm yanking from tilesets such as Pure Tileset Extreme, EZGBZ, or the tile database. So if anyone does help me in collecting some of this stuff I'm asking for, I'll be giving you credit. That was mostly a given, but I wanted to clarify that in case it wasn't. icon_razz.gif

I'm hoping to get a public beta running sometime within the next two weeks.

For the boss roars, you could use the BS versions. As for some scripts, other than the signpost script, I'd go with the item message script, pit/ lava script, and maybe the slippery ice script? These are all scripts that add basic functionality not found in the original, but I think they would be appropriate in Pure. Do you think you would have ghost.zh imported and set up? Also, did you plan on adding dungeon carving wall sets?

EDIT 2: This just came to mind. Will this version be compatible with Pure v.2.2?

Edited by Anthus, 28 February 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#15 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

Pure Tileset Update V2.2 was made by Mr.Z and is pretty much the prequel to Pure Tileset Update Extreme. So unfortunately, Pure Tileset Basic 2.5 won't be compatible with it. Of course, you can rip the tiles back and forth without problem since the palette structure is identical, but there won't be any compatibility beyond that.

As far as scripts, the only one of those I'm iffy about is slippery ice, if only because the version of the script I came across doesn't work and ice physics seem like a wonky thing. I'll see if something can be done with that since Pure Tileset has enough "ice" tiles floating around by default, though. But don't be too disappointed if it doesn't get added. icon_shrug.gif

I'm probably going to have ghost.zh and ffcscript.zh bundled (with instructions on how to update them since I can't update the tileset every single time Saffith updates those icon_razz.gif ). The latter is a bit essential for several of the things I intend to do, but ghost.zh would be handy to have also.

QUOTE(Avataro @ Feb 28 2013, 01:49 PM) View Post

May I offer the suggestion of using another link sprite?
http://www.purezc.co...ge=tiles&id=651
^ I think that those sprites look really great for the pure tileset. and there are even shieldless link tiles.
I don't know, but in my opinion, the alttp link sprites look kinda fat...

While I know that ALTTP Link is kind of fat, I really don't want to switch him with a cartoony Link. Otherwise, I would have gone with Hybrid Link like PTUX did. Those tiles you've suggested also lack more 2.50 stuff than I'm comfortable with. My reasoning here is mostly that Pure Tileset has always been a mix between Gameboy and ALTTP, with emphasis on the ALTTP sprites and alternating to Gameboy if no ALTTP option exists. icon_shrug.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users