Triggers Secrets

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:18 PM

What does the screen flag "Hit All Triggers->16-31" actually do? Based on its description, one would think it requires the player to trigger all flags before the secret combos activate or allow a simpler tiered secrets puzzle, but based on a few tests I've done, that clearly isn't the case. I honestly can't find any difference between having it checked and not having it checked. What benefit/effect does it have and how might a questmaker utilize it?

Similarly, can someone tell me what "Hit All Triggers->Perm Secrets" does precisely?

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:44 PM

Had to dig through the internet archives a bit to find it (the site apparently went under), but here you go: http://web.archive.o...om/singular.php

• Theryan likes this

#3 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

How you managed to unearth that tutorial is beyond me, Russ, but it is exactly what I needed. Thanks so much!

• Jared likes this

#4 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:04 PM

This should be part of the Wiki. Can someone add it (or give me Wiki entry access, to add this and other important things)?

Let's say you have a candle, boomerang and hammer trigger on one screen. The player has the hammer and boomerang, but not the candle. Thus he can trigger two secrets, but not all three.

All Flags = Secret should require triggering all flags on the screen to activate a secret. This is a safeguard, ad you need to have your combos set to (Trigger, Self Only) for it to work properly.

All-Triggers = Permanent is a good way to ensure that any puzzle stays alive when completed. It means that when you trigger all the secrets, they never revert, but if the player only hits some of them, they fully reset on reentering that screen. This way, if for example you need to hit two triggers to open a dungeon, the dungeon stays open forever, and the player need not trigger them again. This applies to any set of secrets, ad does not consider order.

#5 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:09 PM

That was a old, but good site from the 1.92 era. I remember reading it a long time ago, but decided to wait until 2.50 was a reality before making a game... I tried to run ZQ (o a PowerPC Mac) to make a game back when 2.50 was in its infancy, ad ZQ 2.10 o PowerPC was too buggy to use.

It's sad, you know, and I didn't know it went down, and I believe that the tutorials there should be archived here somewhere.

It only proves my remarks that content should be kept on-site whenever possible, including any downloads. There is so much that has been lost, due to being hosted on free websites, that it sickens me, including good tutorials ad excellent scripts.

When the authors vanish, and the hosting site vanishes, it's gone forever.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 11 August 2013 - 02:12 PM.

#6 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:23 PM

How you managed to unearth that tutorial is beyond me, Russ, but it is exactly what I needed. Thanks so much!

No problem. I try to keep tabs on all the tutorials I find on random corners of the internet, just in case I need to refer to them for stuff like this. And this site's actually pretty handy. Not too much there, but it's all good stuff.

It only proves my remarks that content should be kept on-site whenever possible, including any downloads. There is so much that has been lost, due to being hosted on free websites, that it sickens me, including good tutorials ad excellent scripts.

When the authors vanish, and the hosting site vanishes, it's gone forever.

Hrm... Pkmnfrk hasn't been around for a long time... I might move some of the stuff from his (now-defunct) site to the tutorials forum (and possibly the wiki too), so that we don't risk losing it. I doubt he'd mind, and if he shows up out of the blue and does mind, we can always remove it.

#7 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

So what did the Permanent Enemies->Secret flag get renamed to? I've been having an issue where the secret only triggers when I exit and reenter the screen and this is the only thing in the tutorial that I don't recognize.

#8 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 12 August 2013 - 09:50 AM

Try Enemies->Permanent Secret

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Triggers, Secrets

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users