Photo

Screenshot of the Week 429

NewJourneysFire NoeL coolgamer012345 Chris Miller

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 429 (62 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#31 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:11 AM

I love advanced mountain shading in Classic. But I do love me some glowing waterfalls even more.

It's really amazing from where it's going. But it has flaws from creating the big picture. :sorry:

• Jared likes this

#32 alek

alek

posting on internet

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:45 AM

I love advanced mountain shading in Classic. But I do love me some glowing waterfalls even more.

It's really amazing from where it's going. But it has flaws from creating the big picture. :sorry:

Yeah, it really seems like he should have used transparent layers

#33 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:54 AM

I thought I already made a post explaining this.

#34 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:05 AM

You did in the official maps thread IIRC. But I don't personally see "it's not meant to be perfect" as a justifying reason to put hold a major concern that prevents an otherwise neat looking concept for an overworld from being fully shadow dynamic, which would be amazing.

I like it now. But I don't feel the "big picture" here with the shadows atm.

Edited by Shane, 22 October 2013 - 09:05 AM.

• Jared likes this

#35 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

Thanks to everybody who's been supporting this style with the classic tile set. When I decided to build using Classic tileset, I started to explore my options. I just happened to discover this style of building by fluke pretty much, but I soon went with it and am now exploring this form of shade and depth throughout this quest.
Unfortunately all npcs or Link will not take advantage of such shade as of yet (or not at all for this quest if I can't execute it). While all the rocks appear to be shaded, they are all using additional palette colours I designed myself, which is why only the backgrounds are shaded. What I could do is create additional transparent layers which will add even more depth (so that link and the npcs become darker as well, but that opens up a whole new list of problems).
What I can say is that this is the beginning of a new discovery and a new way anybody could build using the classic tileset. So I'm inviting many suggestions for improvement for all who may have some ideas.

^
  • alek likes this

#36 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:13 AM

Oh that. I didn't see that. My bad. :P

#37 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:28 AM

Shading using transparent layers have a huge history of creating undesired effects, but not all the time, I'm certain if I could execute it, I'd approach it head on, but I feel I need to thread cautiously for I could risk restarting from the ground up. Which I feel for the sake of things like npcs, it is not worth scrapping an entire game just to make this single desired effect. Because it may not be too hard for the water and ladder combos, but it will for the npcs.

Considering that all the shading effect in this game is done through palette modification. I have three options in how I could approach this style:

1: try and build combos based off the same style I use to currently build this design, to create "shading combos" and impliment it on a single screen and see how it turns out.

2: create an exclusive "version 2" of this design which people can use however they wish, but may not be easily executed into my current quest.

3: make the palette colours for the darker shades of blue, and thus create the same effect for all the water and ladder sprites, but permanently abandoning Link's sprites or the npc sprites of ever taking advantage of this effect.

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 22 October 2013 - 09:30 AM.

#38 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 09:37 AM

Would it really be worth the trouble? I know real 3D video games that have shadows, which have no effect on the characters. ;D

• David likes this

#39 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

It his sotw is so tight. :P I really believe this could go either way.

#40 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:29 PM

Damn. The two shots that really jumped out at me were NJF's and Chris Miller's. It was a difficult decision, but I had to vote for NJF's simply for his extremely high-quality use of the classic set. Nice job.

#41 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 22 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

Shading using transparent layers have a huge history of creating undesired effects, but not all the time, I'm certain if I could execute it, I'd approach it head on, but I feel I need to thread cautiously for I could risk restarting from the ground up. Which I feel for the sake of things like npcs, it is not worth scrapping an entire game just to make this single desired effect. Because it may not be too hard for the water and ladder combos, but it will for the npcs.

Considering that all the shading effect in this game is done through palette modification. I have three options in how I could approach this style:

1: try and build combos based off the same style I use to currently build this design, to create "shading combos" and impliment it on a single screen and see how it turns out.

2: create an exclusive "version 2" of this design which people can use however they wish, but may not be easily executed into my current quest.

3: make the palette colours for the darker shades of blue, and thus create the same effect for all the water and ladder sprites, but permanently abandoning Link's sprites or the npc sprites of ever taking advantage of this effect.

That's why when I do something game changing, I always save a backup version of the quest. ;)

Again you don't have to, but it'd be cool to see. The best way to go around this is real ZC transparency for the waterfalls and sprites. Good luck.

Edited by Shane, 22 October 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#42 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

ZC handles transparency by selecting the closest colour from the 256 colour palette. Since you're working in classic with only three colours per cset, this leaves a LOT of room in your palette to create the exact colours you need (or at least have a fair degree of control over it).

It his sotw is so tight. :P I really believe this could go either way.

I'm pretty sure you've got me this week, but I don't mind losing to that shot. :P

Edited by NoeL, 22 October 2013 - 08:30 PM.

#43 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:42 PM

Voted for NoeL's shot.

"WOAH NICE GRAPHICS, I'D LIKE TO GET MY HANDS ON THAT GAME!"

#44 bigjoe

bigjoe

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:08 AM

I voted for NoeL's and demand a full remake in that tileset. :D

#45 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

I just voted for Noel.

Why vote against myself right now? To tie it up and make this more interesting. :) Hehe!

I said from the beginning this could go either way. ;)

Edited by NewJourneysFire, 27 October 2013 - 11:53 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NewJourneysFire, NoeL, coolgamer012345, Chris Miller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users