Photo

Screenshot of the Week 211

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
67 replies to this topic

Poll: SotW 211 (68 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favorite shot.

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:06 PM

billy ronald
IPB Image
"I wonder how wet the Water Tenple is" Says Link

CastChaos
IPB Image
Walking in the valley of death... fearing the evil...

gray0x
IPB Image
Color shall burn in the monochromatic fire of doom.

Russ

IPB Image
A random screen from LttP DX.

#2 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:13 PM

gray0x gets my vote. The only person here who really seems to have a problem is Russ, though... it doesn't take long to detail a screen for SotW icon_razz.gif Like, 10, maybe 20 minutes.

#3 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE(Moonwhisper @ May 19 2008, 06:13 PM) View Post

gray0x gets my vote. The only person here who really seems to have a problem is Russ, though... it doesn't take long to detail a screen for SotW icon_razz.gif Like, 10, maybe 20 minutes.

Shoelace had no votes, so I quickly uploaded a shot I had already taken and submitted it. Then three others were taken. I just submitted it to try to get the contest going. I know it looks like c***.

#4 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:54 PM

Billy
Dude, I actually like this shot a bit. Keep it up.

CC
SKULLWOODS!
I like the forest brush a lot. That bone is sexy too. No complaints.

gray0x
Dude! Stop hacking my damn computer!

Russ
Ok, rushed shot. As long as you promise never to put this in a quest.

Oh, and can you people out there actually vote/rate on how it looks? I'm tired of you that think that it sucks just because it has 4 colors, it's not gonna change, so deal with it. Thank you.

Edited by gray0x, 19 May 2008 - 08:57 PM.

#5 DarkFlameSheep

DarkFlameSheep

Vanice in DFS' heart

• Members

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:01 PM

I voted gray0x.

#6 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:05 PM

billy ronald has a good sense of design here.

#7 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:19 PM

billy - Practice your use of DoR Mountains because thats what totally killed your shot. The mountain layout is just horrible. And the water could use more detail. - 4/10

CC: I thought your shot was a swamp shot after I saw it. Looks plain if you ask me. icon_shrug.gif - 6/10

gray0x - I owned you in MKW, but you own everyone in SotW. Everything is just right on this shot. Who the hell cares if it uses little color? (Well maybe I know one person) - 8/10

Russ - EVIL ZQUEST SHOT BE GONE! 1/10

#8 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:21 PM

I voted for CastChaos, I like the morbid graveyard like setup. icon_thumbsup.gif
And second vote for me would of gone to Billy Ronald, I quite like the selected pallete and the setup though some of the alignment is a bit too diagonal. icon_sorry.gif

#9 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:27 PM

billy ronald - 5/10
Good tile choices, but I find the long stretches of 45 degree angled phenomena (for lack of a better general word) rather distracting. It makes what is intended to be a natural looking screen look artificial, no matter how great the tiles are. Great tile choices, but the creativity of design is lacking in my mind.

CastChaos - 6/10
I see some more of these long 45 degree borders in this screen as well. It doesn't look very good. However, seeing tiles that I haven't seen before (unless my memory is going bad) has caught some of my interest. I do like the shades of green. Quite unique. The tree seems to fit in well too.

gray0x - 6/10
Ground details look good for what you are working with. The tree arangment looks a bit odd in places though, probably because I don't think the mini palm tree looks good with much of anything.

Russ - 4/10
I am not trying to be rude, but the first word that comes to my mind when looking at the whole screen is: Boring. Solid green squares without any of the detailed stuff rarely look attractive for a ground, considering what else there is to work with from the set(s) you are grabbing things from. The non-grassy parts of the ground at the south end look unusual to me. I think you are limiting yourself more than you need to with what you are trying to work with.

Nothing impressive this time around for my eyes, but my vote goes to CastChaos for what I think is the most creative of the four, with gray0x being a very close second in my view.

#10 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 19 May 2008 - 10:31 PM

Before anybody else comments on my shot, please read this:

Shoelace had received no screenshots for the contest, so I quickly scanned through my folders, found a shot, uploaded it, and submitted it, to try to get the contest going. In fact, now that it's no longer needed, Shoelace, could you please delete my shot from the contest?

#11 LostInHyru1e

LostInHyru1e

Can you take me as far as PureZC?

• Members

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:55 PM

Billy Ronald- decent shot, but it's a little hard to tell what's going on at the top. Not bad, but not great. 6/10.

CastChaos- Although the bone is cool, just trying to take in a good feeling from this shot is impossible. The entire flow of it just seems wrong. 5/10, for the cool new graphipcs.

Gray0x- Very good screen. The palette is nice. I like color more, but you pulled it off, and the screen is pretty nicely designed too. 7/10, and my vote.

Russ- Even if you were just trying to get the contest started, I would recommend going through the shot and perfecting it first, if for no other reason than to just save your rep. It's not really a bad screen, per-say, it's just nothing screenshot of the week worthy.

#12 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 19 May 2008 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE(LostInHyru1e @ May 19 2008, 09:55 PM) View Post

Russ- Even if you were just trying to get the contest started, I would recommend going through the shot and perfecting it first, if for no other reason than to just save your rep. It's not really a bad screen, per-say, it's just nothing screenshot of the week worthy.

I was rushed, and I just wanted to start the contest. I knew nobody on Earth would vote for it, but at the time there was only one submission the contest was a day late, and I thought I'd help start it.

#13 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 20 May 2008 - 03:33 AM

Billy Ronald: You could add one or two ripple to the water, but else it's very good.

CastChaos: Skull Woods. icon_love.gif

gray0x: OK, I will rate it how it looks. It looks... black and white. Just like ZC looks when I bring up the menu and everything turns grayscale. Now go into the corner and think about why black and white photos were invented first and so why thought people neccessary to invent colour photos. I think you are just envy us for we have colour TV... icon_sweat.gif
But really, like a gray foliage was layered over the screen, covering all detail, design and layout.

#14 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 20 May 2008 - 05:45 AM

gray0x gets my vote. That's even oldr skool then other recent gb style quests. Love it man. You gonna release the tileset someday? ^_^

#15 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:03 AM

Billy Ronald: This screen is a lot better than anything I've seen before from you. Still, you only use SD3 grass detail. You should use more flowers or basic details, even better, make own. Be creative.

CastChaos: I already told my opinion on this, the forest brush needs a darker outline. You improved that already, so it's good. (Not in this shot) Anyway, fine screen on all other aspects.

Gray0x: Today everybody thinks GB can be good etc. Yes the screen looks quite good, I agree. Just everyone seems to like GB for it's simple style, I like more detailed screens better.

Russ: Empty, bland. DoR has more, use all it's potential, not just the basics. The forest brush should be a lot more filled and detailed, withouth overusing the same tree and order.

I voted for CastChaos, Billy's screen also applied for me, but it's simply to symmetric.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users