Photo

Screenshot of the Week 153

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
60 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 153 (80 member(s) have cast votes)

9 shots!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Siguy

Siguy

�

• Members

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:22 PM

Aribar: Good shot, but nothing that I havn't seen before.

Anthus: Cat face needs more shading and detail.

Revfan9: Okay tiles, poor design, poor quality.

Sharon: Perfect shot, still nothing that I havn't seen before.

/M/: Beautiful setting. Great shot. Nothing wrong.

NoeL: I always like new custom graphics. But the tops of the cliffs need to be redone. Votes.

Moonwhisper: Love it. Great shot.

Nuvo: Custom graphics seem very bland. Lacking outlines and contrast. I don't like the perspective.

Shoelace: Looking good. Creative.

Overall it was hard to decide. All great shots today.

#17 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE(NoeL @ Jan 29 2007, 06:06 PM) View Post
That's an incredibly irresponsible thing to do, and I'm not impressed in the least. When you took the job of managing SOTW you took on the responsibility of getting the competition up on time. For reasons unknown you weren't able to post it on time, but delaying it further because people were "on your back" will only make people angrier. Being director of SOTW isn't your right, it's your job. You're providing a service to the PZC community and I for one expect it to be done right. If you don't like doing it, then give the job to someone else.

Wrong. There is no set date for SotW to begin, so it's entirely up to him when to put it up. As SotW manager, he has the right to hold off until people stop bugging him about it, as does anyone in charge of anything. The public may not like it, but it's his call

...Just my two cents

#18 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE(Relic @ Jan 29 2007, 09:06 PM) View Post

Wrong. There is no set date for SotW to begin, so it's entirely up to him when to put it up. As SotW manager, he has the right to hold off until people stop bugging him about it, as does anyone in charge of anything. The public may not like it, but it's his call

...Just my two cents

Well I'd rather someone more willing to do their job, and I'd like to see how many others agree/disagree with me.

#19 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:26 PM

Wow, all of the shots are pretty nice...

The best ones are NoeL's absolutely kick arse mountain screen and /M/'s pretty winter screen. But I vote for /M/ simply because that ugly Link ruins the NoeL shot for me, sorry icon_razz.gif

QUOTE(NoeL)
Well I'd rather someone more willing to do their job, and I'd like to see how many others agree/disagree with me.

Indeed. Hero Link just isn't a good SOTW "host". Someone else really needs to take over. HL doesn't seem to have the time, the passion nor even the interest to run this thing. And once again, nothing against HL... he is a good person, a good moderator, but that doesn't make him the right person fro SOTW.

#20 .TakaM

.TakaM

Junior

• Members

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:28 AM

Aribar - Simple standard screen, nothing really wrong but nothing amazing.
Anthus - Hard to make NES tiles look good, didn't succeed.
Revfan9 - Strange contrast and definition issues, looks pretty good as it is, but I know how it should look and thats what stopped my vote.
Sharon Daniel - Another pretty standard screen, though its a nice area I think most people could make it.
/M/ - Wanting the area to look covered in snow is one thing, just plain making everything white is bizarre.
NoeL - A really weird screen, the cliffs look like they're from a first generation SNES titles, and with the pillow shaded dirt its really incoherent
Moonwhisper - Really bad cliff tiles on a standard zc shot.
Nuvo - really weird saturation and contrast.
Shoelace - Vote - Creative area with nice tiles and sprites, only thing that bugs me is how strong the blue in the water is, primarily the submerged tree trunks

#21 Limzo

Limzo

_

• Members

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:56 AM

I voted for Shoelace.

Now Revfan, I want to tell you something that I keep telling you over and over:
It doesn't matter what graphics you are using, no, it depends on the actual screenshot. ALTTP would still be great if it used Minish Cap graphics originally, and Minish Cap would still be sucky if it used ALTTP graphics originally.

#22 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:40 PM

Aribar - There are some good tiles in there, but I am not wild about their combination. It feels awkward to me.

Anthus - I am not wild about the color combinations used in this shot. I give you credit for trying to compete using the classic look, but it is not enough to get a vote out of me.

Revfan9 - Great selection of tiles, but it feels awkward regarding how everything is positioned.

Sharon Daniel - This shot seems pretty standard to me. While they are not the best choice of tiles, you do a good job placing them so as to make the best of what you have. Good, but not out of this world.

/M/ - I bet it does look better in ZC. Good selection of tiles, and the placement is pretty good as well.

NoeL - Beautiful choice of tiles. The giant turd thing caught my humor as well. However, I feel as if something is missing. Something to complete the shot, but I can't be sure what it is. You would know better, considering that you know where you are going with it.

Moonwhisper - This is not my favorite choice of tiles (especially those cliffs), as everything still feels very boxy. Perhaps the shades of brown and green could be worked on more, as it doesn't feel all the autumny to me.

Nuvo - I like the tiles, but I am not a fan of the subscreen section. It is mainly the bubbles that I am not wild about, not the meters. In addition to that, something feels awkward about the perspective, mainly up where link is standing.

Shoelace - Very nice. I like the detail of everything, especially the trees and the see through water. The trees in the foreground seems appropriate considering that they are about the same size as the ones in the water, and take on a similar trunk shape from what I can perceive. You did a smart thing by keeping those cliffs and waterfalls in the very back of the shot. If they were further forward, it probably would have dominated the screen and thus take away the focus from the treehouse.

I see some good screenshots, but nothing gets me very excited. It was a tough decision between /M/ and Shoelace for me, but in the end I voted for Shoelace as I think he has a slight edge.

#23 WindStrike

WindStrike

Culex is the bane of my existence.

• Members

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:54 PM

Hmm... haven't really touched or replied to this SotW stuff lately... guess I'd better get back into it, eh?

Aribar: Ah, a good ol' better-than-average screenshot. The only thing I find awkward about it is the placement of the green statue in the top-left.

Anthus: Hmmm... that's a pretty interesting shot; though, the custom tiles fit ok... I suppose that maybe it can be a little more classic to fit the rest.

Revfan9: Whew! That's one heck of a shot... and one b-e-a-utiful tileset! What'd make this my vote would to -1) add tree shadows... because otherwise, though awesome looking, the tree does look a little out of place... and -2) the chest doesn't look as smooth as the rest of the shot. Tis very minor, but just pointin' that out.

Sharon Daniel: Awesome! ... and that's all.

/M/: That's jes too cool... but the way the grass is while overlapping the other terrain sticks out like a black line in a white field... which is close to what it is. If the colors were blended in more and so that the black doesn't stick out as much, I think I would have easily voted this one.

NoeL: As great as that is (I'm running out of "good" type words here...), the tops of the mountain cliffs look... odd... and a little edgy... and in comparison to the rest of the shot, - particularly the ground with all of its colors - it does look kinda bland, using only two colors. Mayhaps it kin be spiced up a bit? Good shot, nonetheless... and the cliff faces themselves look fantabulous!

Moonwhisper: The mountains are showing just a bit... but they still fit with the rest of the shot. Can't find anything wrong with a perfectly normal shot like that other than something that really doesn't count with the score of the shot - in other words... your little caption says otherwise to the darkish looking screen that looks good nonetheless.

Nuvo: Heh... nice perspective view going there. It does look a little edgy though... especially in the clouds and the sky in the back. Spectacular shot, there!

Shoelace: ... I used all of my words so uhh... hold on... it's spectabulously fantacular! WOOTXORZ for made-up words! Man... I wish I could steal those trees. Two things - The trunks of the trees are really constrasting between the part below the water and the part above. Can't suggest anything there to help though... and two... those wooden planks at the bottom look out of place compared to the rest of the shot. Regardless of such things, tis looks still... greatgood! But yiss... those problems do prevent me from voting on the shot.

Nulled! Huge tie for me though...

#24 Jonathan

Jonathan

Wizard

• Members

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:02 PM

i vote for teh sexy beast(shoelace)

i may finally submit again when i finally get settled back into my appartment

#25 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:23 PM

Well, I finally have new mountains, and there is no Autumn palette, guys. I had to substitute. I'll try to get dlbrooks to work on one or something. And maybe a spring one as well...

#26 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:54 PM

I voted for /M/, despite all the flashy pretty graphcs that NoeL or Shoelace has, it was M that had the best screen composition to me. And it had just the right amount of flair to catch my attention, so my vote goes to M.

#27 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:01 AM

QUOTE(.TakaM @ Jan 30 2007, 03:28 AM) View Post

Aribar - Simple standard screen, nothing really wrong but nothing amazing.
Anthus - Hard to make NES tiles look good, didn't succeed.
Revfan9 - Strange contrast and definition issues, looks pretty good as it is, but I know how it should look and thats what stopped my vote.
Sharon Daniel - Another pretty standard screen, though its a nice area I think most people could make it.
/M/ - Wanting the area to look covered in snow is one thing, just plain making everything white is bizarre.
NoeL - A really weird screen, the cliffs look like they're from a first generation SNES titles, and with the pillow shaded dirt its really incoherent
Moonwhisper - Really bad cliff tiles on a standard zc shot.
Nuvo - really weird saturation and contrast.
Shoelace - Vote - Creative area with nice tiles and sprites, only thing that bugs me is how strong the blue in the water is, primarily the submerged tree trunks

You know, I'm not trying to start anything guys, but you, yes, YOU, have never submitted one screenshot. I don't even know if you work with ZQuest. I can take constructive critisism (dammit I can't spell the word), but no, you just don't give a lot of that. Morely, it looks a lot like insults to our shots. And since when do you know how to set up shots (Revfan9's?) If you want to set up the shot, you rip the graphics. And you know, I bet it's a good thing Revfan9 set's it up different from you do. It's the difference in our abilities... from your none.

Now... on to the shots.

Aribar- Good shot, nothing really special, although the player shot is good and I like the B-button Item, It's just a standard shot. Good, but nothing really special.

Anthus- Noice. I'm always interested in someone who expands on the classic set. And you friend, have done so. My only problem is the different colors of water everywhere. I don't know if you're trying to express shallow water or what.

Revfan9- Awesome. Much nicer. I'm surprised you were able to get the graphics back after your laptop crashed. However, it seems to lack some differentiality. You use the same flower 3 times. Maybe you can make some different varieties, such as color changes.

Sharon Daniel- I envy you. I have no skill with the PTUX set... Good shot, and the cave design is nice, but I never let one thing go all the way to a vote unless there's like, 3 shots.

/M/- Wow... you make my winter shots in OoS look like little flurries. I love that cute li'l snowman, but my only problem is the bushes. Bushes should never be placed where they can't be cut (refer to the left side of the screen) unless you're using build 119, but I doubt you are. Still... *votes*

NoeL- I almost voted for this. The mountains are incredible, I've not seen anyone try to do 3D-ness in a while... Only problem is that the pattern on the top of the mountains is repetitive.

Moonwhisper- WOW! Dude, you're like, waow cool! But do you know whay pettle! I knows those mountains suck, but blame Ccc. If you show off those cooler mountains, you'll make everyone look so bad! You're so good at this ZC stuff, I'm sooooo jealous! I would've voted for you, but I have to vote for the person who made second place, I refuse to vote for the best, as do a lot.

Nuvo- Well... the shot feels pretty bland. The 6 knights are poorly colored, and everything is the same color. The sky was well done, and I like the vines icon_wink.gif

Shoelace- HOLY (I almost crapped myself). It's just... incredible... You did a well job done, although I'm usually against using a Link bigger than the 1 square, I'll make an exception... (Although it looks like you added more that 4 pixels) You did a great job on this shot, especially contrasting trees and water together... *almost votes*

#28 Rocksfan13

Rocksfan13

Looks best in Blue

• Members

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:55 AM

All very good. I went with Revfan9. What are those things supposed to be?

I like all the colors and the layout of this pic overall.

#29 .TakaM

.TakaM

Junior

• Members

Posted 01 February 2007 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE(Moonwhisper @ Feb 1 2007, 07:01 AM) View Post

You know, I'm not trying to start anything guys, but you, yes, YOU, have never submitted one screenshot. I don't even know if you work with ZQuest. I can take constructive critisism (dammit I can't spell the word), but no, you just don't give a lot of that. Morely, it looks a lot like insults to our shots. And since when do you know how to set up shots (Revfan9's?) If you want to set up the shot, you rip the graphics. And you know, I bet it's a good thing Revfan9 set's it up different from you do. It's the difference in our abilities... from your none.
*sigh*

firstly, if you're not trying to start anything, that should be the end of your sentence.

secondly,I give constructive criticism to WIPs, and wips have no place in sotw, to me atleast.
not to mention the only thing I think constructive criticism here means is 'you have no grounds to flame me' I could write books on why I didn't vote for each shot I didn't vote for and how they can improve them, but whats the point?
all that means is 'you have no grounds to flame me' I know most of you don't actually take in constructive criticism, you just skim over it looking for some reply laced with negativity, then you try to start up a **** storm so everyone can disregard the points made.

and thirdly, I'm really getting sick of you people trying to make this personal, how I obviously have no talent since I don't partake in some small fangame competition, you don't even know who I am.

Edited by .TakaM, 01 February 2007 - 10:30 AM.

#30 Peteo

Peteo

Back in Business!

• Members

Posted 01 February 2007 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE(.TakaM @ Feb 1 2007, 05:29 PM) View Post

I could write books on why I didn't vote for each shot I didn't vote for and how they can improve them, but whats the point?

Er...? If you don't even try to give constructive criticism, why do you post here at all? What's the point? icon_glare.gif

Why are you assuming that no one would appreciate constructive criticism and try to learn from it? That's just not a very nice attitude, underrestimating and putting down fellow Pure members like that. It's true that some people can't take criticism at all, especially from a guy like you who always post in a negative tone icon_razz.gif but I'm sure most people here are smart and mature enough to take kindly to criticism, as long as it is constructive criticism. icon_wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users