Overrated Games

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

You know we all have thoughts about some games being overrated you know and I figured why not everyone discuss about games they think is overrated.

Here is my top 8

1. Final Fantasy X - (Never liked it and never saw what was so great about it)
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - (Everyone says this is a master piece I can't get into it at all)  
  3. Grand Theft Auto 4 
  4. Pokemon Series
  5. Call of Duty
  6. World of Warcraft
  7. Terraria
  8. Minecraft - (I like this game buts it's not that great)

Its not that I dislike these games I think they got way to much attention and they were just not as great as everyone says.

#2 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:46 PM

I don't mind Minecraft, but how it got so popular is beyond me. First of all, how the hell is ANYONE supposed to figure out how to play it WITHOUT a guide of some kind? If I found some random person to play it, he/she wouldn't know what the hell to do at all. That's HORRIBLE game design, making the Wiki, someone explaining the game or a video MANDATORY just to start off. If I made a game where I dump you off in the middle of God Knows Where with ZERO instruction and nothing being easy to figure out without using a guide, it would be a 1/10 flop easily.

The Grand Theft Auto series IMO is highly overrated. Maybe I'm a stick in the mud, but I don't see how a game that GLORIFIES crime ever was able to get so big. Hey kids, go pull a little old lady out of a car and steal it. Go beat up some random bypasser for a quick buck. Oh and go into the wrong neighborhood? Prepare to get shot and beaten to death. And while I don't mind swearing, from what I've seen someone at my gamer's group play of Grand Theft Auto V, it's just MF this, MF that. You can make dialogue that's not a spam of the F word every 4-5 words you know.

#3 SirKazuma

SirKazuma

Wind Magic User

• Members

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:52 PM

You know we all have thoughts about some games being overrated you know and I figured why not everyone discuss about games they think is overrated.

Here is my top 8

1. Final Fantasy X - (Never liked it and never saw what was so great about it)
  2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - (Everyone says this is a master piece I can't get into it at all)  
  3. Grand Theft Auto 4 
  4. Pokemon Series

Although that I agree that FFX is overrated, I think FFVII is even more insultingly overrated. As an RPG fan in general, I can compare it to a lot of RPGs, at the time, the game was amazing, I'm sure. FFVII has a great soundtrack, plot, and characters. But in general, the RPG system is quite bland. The characters themselves were not very different, there was SOME incentive to change, but they're all basically the same in the end. Sure, their stats are different, but there's really no "clear" difference in my eyes. They have different stats, materia slots, and limit breaks. I don't think those three differences give the player incentive to change around the characters. While, I do agree that it was revolutionary at it's time, I don't think it's aged well. Maybe once they make a HD-Remake (which is just inevitable at this point) everything would be better.

Another thing I wanted to bring up, the Pokemon series. Now, this is a problem with the fan base in general, maybe not the overrated-ness factor. People are attached to Red/Blue/Yellow (the first gen) and refuse to accept the fact that the series has indeed gotten better in some aspects. Sure, the plot has never really changed from the typical get 8 badges and become the champion, but you always get new scenery and pokemon to find in each generation. These people seem to believe that every pokemon made past gen 1 (or at least most of them) are badly designed and uncreative. Although, I can see their arguements against certain pokemon like Vanilluxe, but gen 1 also had some uncreative pokemon. I think it's inevitable for every set of good pokemon designs, there's some sort of bad one. But that doesn't mean every single other pokemon is bad because of it. I do agree that the pokemon games are rather overrrated, but games like Red/Blue/Yellow get undeserved praise due to nostalgia, or other misc. reasons. That's just my opinion, though.

• Ventus likes this

#4 JetBox

JetBox

Wizard

• Members

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:55 PM

Not in any order, but:

Grand Theft Auto. I mean really, since when was endangering lives and getting felonies fun? People WAY over-hype it, but when I play it, I feel sick to my stomach. Nothing is good about this game.

Ocarina of Time: First, I will say, this is my favorite or second favorite Zelda Game, depending on how I feel. But normally it is my favorite game of all time. but still, people step out of line to praise this game, which most of the time is a little too much.

Others, but my mind is eluding me.

#5 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

Overrated games? I don't know, I think that question is really hard to answer. It's entirely subjective, of course. I'd agree with Terraria though. I've played it for almost 50 hours so it's not like I didn't like it too at one point. Maybe I'm just sick of it, I don't know. I always thought the Star Wars: Battlefront-series was a bit overrated, in the sense that they were often compared to games like Battlefield 2, which were better in every way. The Battlefront games were a lot of fun, but in terms of their quality they were never on par with its peers. I am of course looking forward to the upcoming Battlefront-game made by the developers behind Battlefield, Dice. :P

I guess Call of Duty would be another obvious choice here. Bioshock Infinite (don't murder me). Spec Ops: The line... I almost lost my job because of that mediocre piece of video game.

I don't mind Minecraft, but how it got so popular is beyond me. First of all, how the hell is ANYONE supposed to figure out how to play it WITHOUT a guide of some kind? If I found some random person to play it, he/she wouldn't know what the hell to do at all. That's HORRIBLE game design, making the Wiki, someone explaining the game or a video MANDATORY just to start off. If I made a game where I dump you off in the middle of God Knows Where with ZERO instruction and nothing being easy to figure out without using a guide, it would be a 1/10 flop easily.

The Grand Theft Auto series IMO is highly overrated. Maybe I'm a stick in the mud, but I don't see how a game that GLORIFIES crime ever was able to get so big. Hey kids, go pull a little old lady out of a car and steal it. Go beat up some random bypasser for a quick buck. Oh and go into the wrong neighborhood? Prepare to get shot and beaten to death. And while I don't mind swearing, from what I've seen someone at my gamer's group play of Grand Theft Auto V, it's just MF this, MF that. You can make dialogue that's not a spam of the F word every 4-5 words you know.

What are you talking about? Grand Theft Auto doesn't glorify violence. It's satire, it's social and political commentary, and it parodies the entire american culture, and does so brilliantly. I'm so sick of seeing people berate this series when it's so clear that they've never tried to understand what actually makes these games so good. Listen, it's okay to not enjoy Grand Theft Auto, but when you're saying that it glorifies violence, you've clearly missed the point. :/

Long story short, Grand Theft Auto is not a mayhem simulator, contrary to popular belief. Saints Row is a much better example of what you guys are describing. Saints Row is dumb, sleazy entertainment. Grand Theft Auto is intelligently, brilliantly written, and it hurts when people reduce its existence into being some sort of frustration relieve by murder-simulator.

Here's one example, in the form of a really great article. If you're one of those people who just don't 'get it', give this a read. I doubt it's gonna make you love the games, but at least you might be able to appreciate why a lot of us do.

• Shane and Moldtri like this

#6 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:52 PM

Ocarina of Time (great game, but not as good as people make it out to be), Final Fantasy 7 (ditto), Minecraft (wiki-game, and vanilla gets stale extremely fast.  If a game needs mods to stay alive, I'd say the base game is lackluster.), Call of Duty (played, generic FPSes in which the sequels are rehashes, much like the Madden series), Pokemon Gen 1 (Great start, but glitchy as all hell and has many problems; Gen II is actually the best).

Edited by Koh, 28 May 2014 - 05:56 PM.

• SirKazuma and MarinaraSauce like this

#7 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:07 PM

Although that I agree that FFX is overrated, I think FFVII is even more insultingly overrated. As an RPG fan in general, I can compare it to a lot of RPGs, at the time, the game was amazing, I'm sure. FFVII has a great soundtrack, plot, and characters. But in general, the RPG system is quite bland. The characters themselves were not very different, there was SOME incentive to change, but they're all basically the same in the end. Sure, their stats are different, but there's really no "clear" difference in my eyes. They have different stats, materia slots, and limit breaks. I don't think those three differences give the player incentive to change around the characters. While, I do agree that it was revolutionary at it's time, I don't think it's aged well. Maybe once they make a HD-Remake (which is just inevitable at this point) everything would be better.

Another thing I wanted to bring up, the Pokemon series. Now, this is a problem with the fan base in general, maybe not the overrated-ness factor. People are attached to Red/Blue/Yellow (the first gen) and refuse to accept the fact that the series has indeed gotten better in some aspects. Sure, the plot has never really changed from the typical get 8 badges and become the champion, but you always get new scenery and pokemon to find in each generation. These people seem to believe that every pokemon made past gen 1 (or at least most of them) are badly designed and uncreative. Although, I can see their arguements against certain pokemon like Vanilluxe, but gen 1 also had some uncreative pokemon. I think it's inevitable for every set of good pokemon designs, there's some sort of bad one. But that doesn't mean every single other pokemon is bad because of it. I do agree that the pokemon games are rather overrrated, but games like Red/Blue/Yellow get undeserved praise due to nostalgia, or other misc. reasons. That's just my opinion, though.

Totally agree with you on FF7, its just way so overrated. I can't much you already said my thoughts on it xD And also I disagree about pokemon, I never thought that people were attached to the first games. I think the real problem for is that the people who play it make the game so competitive. I've tried playing with some freinds and they were talking about IV and stuff like that and they would hate on me for not knowing what it is.

Though I will say that the pokemon games that get way to much praise has got to be Ruby and Sapphire, never saw what the deal was with that game. xD 

• SirKazuma likes this

#8 trudatman

trudatman

one point nine hero

• Members
  • Location:State Of Love And Trust, The United State Of Amorica.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 06:15 PM

Final Fantasy (all)
The Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask
NHL '94 (Genesis)
Halo
Minecraft
Super Mario 64

#9 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

I've actually wanted to compile a top ten or maybe a top five list of what I found were among the most overrated games in the industry. Off the top of my head, here's a few:

Metroid: Other M - Actually this is an "honorable mention," mainly because it's not overrated by any stretch of the word by its fans. ... mostly. Just the media. I mean it's got an average score of about 8/10 from most media reviewers, making this one of the reasons I don't always trust video game critics. I don't need to rag on this, just feel the need to point out that video game critics are full of shit. Sometimes.

Kid Icarus: Uprising - Horrible controls, repetitive gameplay, terrible dialogue. The actual overall story was pretty good, and the writing and story in the Chariot Master chapter was especially good, but a lot of the fourth wall and anachronism jokes fell flat, and there were just far too many chapters that all felt the same. Because honestly, they were.

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - This is only of late, but the likes of Zelda Dungeon and Operation Moonfall have made this game even less desirable than it was before. It was a decent game but it had plenty of flaws, and now that fanboys have come out of the woodwork for it, that has really started to tip this into being one of the most overrated games to me.

Halo 3 - I'm a big Halo fan. But Halo 3 was very lackluster compared to its brethren. Storywise it was solid and was an excellent ending to the trilogy. Gameplay-wise... it wasn't as interesting, unique, or varied as 1, 2, or even 4. Sure, it had a kickass escape sequence, but the rest of it was too straightforward and generic. I'll be the first to say that I don't find the level "Cortana" to be as bad as everyone says, but on the whole, the game just isn't as interesting as its peers.

• Shane likes this

#10 DragonDePlatino

DragonDePlatino

Pixel Dragon

• Members

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:40 PM

Well, I do have a game or two in mind that I see as "overrated", but I tend to avoid using the term. Almost all the time, people tend to label genre-reinventing games with the term simply because they don't hold up to modern games. Take for example, Ocarina of Time. It might not quite hold up a candle to later Zelda games, but it was a really revolutionary game because it showed us what the N64 was capable of. Keep in mind, up to that point, many N64 games simply took older genres and put them into 3D, or had segmented overworlds like Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie.

Or Final Fantasy VII. Sure, it's hard to find anyone who hates the game nowadays (aside from it's melodramatic storyline) but it was a pivotal RPG game because it introduced the JRPG to the mainstream western audience in ways that Dragon Quest had failed to in the past.

So what I'm saying is, these "overrated" games were loved for how revolutionary they were, not their face value. And honestly, I think it's unfair to take them for granted.
  • Shane likes this

#11 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

I may have games that I personally don't see the appeal for, but I'm not about to say they don't have merit to those who love them. Saying something is "overrated" implies that I just know better than those thousands of fans. If there's something in those games that truly moves them, then if anything, I feel regretful that I'm unable to find joy in those things as well.

Also, my heart hurts a little every time someone says Majora's Mask. :(

#12 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:21 PM

I've mentioned (by which I mean ranted about) how I don't like Majora's Mask, but I've recently realized that if it were a stand alone game instead of being a part of the Zelda franchise, I probably wouldn't have a problem with it.  The reason I say this is because it feels more like a strategy game than an adventure game.  It's a similar problem to what Four Swords had (and I apologize to anybody who likes MM for making that analogy) in that it was too different from the rest of the series.  You could argue that Z2 has the same problem, in fact I would agree with you completely, but the difference is this; hardly anybody thinks that Z2 is the best out of the series.  In conclusion, Majora's Mask didn't really live up to its praise to me.

• Shane likes this

#13 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:28 PM

Skyward Sword (overrated by reviewers, not so much the players).

In conclusion, Majora's Mask didn't really live up to its praise to me.

Majora's Mask is praised for its themes and atmosphere more than its mechanics (though the time mechanic/bombers notebook was really well done). It's one of the few Zelda titles to do something with more depth than "Save the princess!"

Edited by NoeL, 28 May 2014 - 09:30 PM.

#14 Tabletpillow

Tabletpillow

Hi

• Members

Posted 28 May 2014 - 09:30 PM

Ocarina of time and A Link to the past may be overrated, but it deserves to. Majora's mask on the other hand, is overrated. Don't get me wrong, I love Majora's mask and all, but I just don't get why it's everybody's favorite zelda game. I feel like there are better zelda games than it.

And then comes minecraft. I like the game, but it's so popular that once I just typed in "m" on google, minecraft is one of the first things to come up.

Another overrated game is Smash bros 64. This game only has 12 fighters and lacks the air dodging. But yet many people say it is better than melee and even brawl! I don't know what they were thinking!

• MarinaraSauce likes this

#15 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 28 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

Wind Waker. Not because it's a bad game, but because it is a symbol of Nintendo's choice to abandon the "good guy" gamer-friendly veneer and start to just look like another company out to get your money. Seriously, Wind Waker is an unfinished game, and I can't play it without a niggling feeling in the back of my mind bothering me. What's there is good, but a lot of it feels super rushed, and nowhere near as deep as it could have been.

I'll jump on the Minecraft bandwagon, as well. Although it's not a game -- it's Legos.

Most open-world sandbox games (GTA, Far Cry, etc.) lack a lot of depth and are pretty tedious. I don't really enjoy GTA 4 because I played a terrible person doing terrible things to people, and ... that's just not my thing, I guess. Far Cry 3 got old fast, mostly because in my mind I keep comparing it to Fallout 3 and New Vegas which are a lot more involved and have more variation. I had no trouble getting into Skyrim, though. Just Cause 2 is also one of my favorite games and it also did the sandbox thing incredibly well.

The yearly Quake II reskins excreted by Activision are also baffling to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users