The Sand Barracks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SparksTheUnicorn

SparksTheUnicorn

Lonk, Hero of Lime

• Members

Posted 04 June 2020 - 12:12 PM

This dungeon is hidden within the dust filled storms of the desert. Welcome to the Sand Barracks!

Dungeon Map: https://imgur.com/a/RAioyV1

Edited by SparksTheUnicorn, 05 June 2020 - 02:29 PM.

#2 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:59 AM

The palette leaves something to be desired, it looks like you're using something akin to the default overworld one? It does not look amazing for the interior tiles (which uses different ramping).

#3 SparksTheUnicorn

SparksTheUnicorn

Lonk, Hero of Lime

• Members

Posted 05 June 2020 - 01:41 PM

The palette leaves something to be desired, it looks like you're using something akin to the default overworld one? It does not look amazing for the interior tiles (which uses different ramping).

Okay, first off a question since I new to ZQuest. What do you mean by Ramping? Second, so it is the overworld pallete, as I felt it looked good for a sand/desert structure. However, I am always up for suggestions for what could look better. What pallete would you prefer?

EDIT: Okay I have changed the pallete and reposted the map with it above, how does this one work?

Edited by SparksTheUnicorn, 05 June 2020 - 02:30 PM.

#4 Mani Kanina

Mani Kanina

Rabbits!

• Members

Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:39 PM

The new one posted is a big step up!

Ramping isn't really zelda classic specific, it's just how the colours are put on the palette. A ramp is what is used to colour a object with the same "colour", having a few different shades depending on lightening.

The overworld palette looks like this in ZC:
unknown.png

Looking at the first row, the first colour is used for black and is part of every ramp, the row then have three ramps in totally, each one having the darker colour first, and then the lighter colour. (This is not how this would be configured on the NES, if you're curious).

The dungeon palettes in the classic tileset uses this structure instead:
unknown.png

The black is used in a similar way to the overworld palettes, but it's all just a single ramp, meaning it uses four colours to the overworlds three. So if the overworld palettes were used with the dungeon tiles... where those tiles expects the lightest shade, the overworld palette instead starts with the darkest blue shade, which makes things look off to say the least.

Anyway, for your purpose I'd put together something like this:
unknown.png
Which would look like this in practice:
unknown.png
(The mountains using a different CSet than the dungeon set!)

This is more akin of how I would do this concept in palette, but there are many good choices. If you wish to use the one I put together, just save down this image to your computer and use ZC's palette editors's Grab feature to import the colours: Clicky!

• SparksTheUnicorn likes this

#5 SparksTheUnicorn

SparksTheUnicorn

Lonk, Hero of Lime

• Members

Posted 06 June 2020 - 01:17 AM

The new one posted is a big step up!

Ramping isn't really zelda classic specific, it's just how the colours are put on the palette. A ramp is what is used to colour a object with the same "colour", having a few different shades depending on lightening.

The overworld palette looks like this in ZC:
unknown.png

Looking at the first row, the first colour is used for black and is part of every ramp, the row then have three ramps in totally, each one having the darker colour first, and then the lighter colour. (This is not how this would be configured on the NES, if you're curious).

The dungeon palettes in the classic tileset uses this structure instead:
unknown.png

The black is used in a similar way to the overworld palettes, but it's all just a single ramp, meaning it uses four colours to the overworlds three. So if the overworld palettes were used with the dungeon tiles... where those tiles expects the lightest shade, the overworld palette instead starts with the darkest blue shade, which makes things look off to say the least.

Anyway, for your purpose I'd put together something like this:
unknown.png
Which would look like this in practice:
unknown.png
(The mountains using a different CSet than the dungeon set!)

This is more akin of how I would do this concept in palette, but there are many good choices. If you wish to use the one I put together, just save down this image to your computer and use ZC's palette editors's Grab feature to import the colours: Clicky!

OMG Thank you so much! Honestly, this is so awesome of you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users