Do you like driving?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:28 PM

I was just thinking about this after talking about it with a friend. Driving is something that is required for a lot of people, and also something that is more of a commodity for others. If you drive, do you enjoy driving, or is it more of a "something I have to do" type of thing? If you don't drive, is it something you want to do, or is it something you can live without?

For me, I generally enjoy driving. I enjoy it more if I'm alone in the car, as I can focus more. Driving to and from work is mundane (only about 10 miles each way), but if I'm just out, or get the urge, I'll drive around for fun. I usually leave the city though and go to parks outside of the city. I don't like driving on the freeways around where I live in town cause they are pretty congested, and there's always construction somewhere. I just dropped some friends off at a concert downtown, so I was thinking about this.

#2 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:38 PM

Good idea for a topic, Anthus. It's a pretty simple decision for me whether or not I enjoy it. Most of the time I enjoy driving, even if it's to or from work. I drive about 25 miles one way, but it's all highway, and not usually a busy one either. (Except right now with all the traffic from the dozens of people putting up wind towers around here...) It gives me time to fully wake up before I start my day at work, and lets me unwind after work. I also enjoy driving otherwise, and if I could afford to drive around and explore the countryside a little more, I certainly would. I love taking road trips too, and can usually drive a long ways before I need to take a break. Overall I enjoy driving, even when it's something that I need to do.

• Anthus likes this

#3 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:48 PM

It gets me from point A to point B. I don't particularly enjoy it nor seriously dislike it. It's like doing dishes: a chore I have to do to function as a human being in American society. Although it gets props for getting me alone in a mostly soundproof metal box where I can sing without damaging the eardrums of passersby, if that counts for anything.
  • Neppy likes this

#4 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:21 AM

Sometimes I like it, but I don't like doing it frequently, cars are a cramped space. I like to get out and stretch my legs and take in some fresh air.

Driving is a bit better than riding though.

Edited by Cukeman, 13 September 2017 - 03:35 PM.

#5 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:46 AM

Driving is very mixed for me. If it's going to work, then it's like -annoyed sigh- "Do I have to?" But if it's somewhere I want to go, it's pretty enjoyable. Unfortunately, the same cannot always be said of those that get behind me, because I'm one of those die-hard speed limit followers. I would say 98% of cars that get behind me fly up on me and ride bumper to bumper trying to make me go faster.

Going further back, before I COULD drive, when I turned 16, I dreaded the idea of driving. That and my father had no way of getting me even some beat up piece of junk to learn in. Once I turned 18 and took Driver's Ed in high school, I managed to get a permit before finishing the year out. I still didn't like the idea of driving, but I HAD TO because it was the only way I was going to get to/from college. But once I finally passed my road test (after failing the first time), things felt great. That is until I tried going the highway to get to school. I almost wanted to have my license revoked right then and there, because I almost got myself killed.

Looking back, I am very happy my father pushed me as hard as he did to get me to drive, mostly because I wouldn't be working right now without my license. That and my mother needs a ride to and from work. Kind of sucks it took three cars to get it right, but third time's the charm? First a beat up PoS Ford Tempo that I wouldn't want my worst enemy driving, then a Pontiac Grand AM that began nickle and diming me at the end. Lastly, I got a 2004 Ford Focus, and it's been by far the best car I ever owned. Although if you don't like the smell of fast food and you don't like getting to places slowly, you probably are better off taking yourself.

#6 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 13 September 2017 - 09:29 AM

Generally speaking, I quite enjoy a pleasant drive.

With my hectic schedule, I seldom get alone time. It's nice to be able to turn on an audiobook or a podcast and enjoy a bit of peace. Sometimes I'll even drive in silence as a way of being alone with my own thoughts.

While Russ compares it to doing the dishes, I would rather measure it against a warm shower. Sometimes you shower simply because you have to, but other times a long, hot shower can melt all your troubles away--even if only briefly.

• Naru likes this

#7 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:02 PM

As long as people clear the road for me, I'm fine.

• Anthus likes this

#8 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:16 PM

Driving is very mixed for me. If it's going to work, then it's like -annoyed sigh- "Do I have to?" But if it's somewhere I want to go, it's pretty enjoyable. Unfortunately, the same cannot always be said of those that get behind me, because I'm one of those die-hard speed limit followers. I would say 98% of cars that get behind me fly up on me and ride bumper to bumper trying to make me go faster.

I may go 5 over, but I generally respect people who do go the speed limit. I also still get idiots that fly up behind me and ride my ass expecting me to speed up. In fact, I will not speed up, but more than likely, I will slow down instead.I have no patience or respect for foolish drivers.

#9 Aevin

Aevin

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:22 PM

I love car rides. Being on the freeway and hearing the sounds of the road beneath the car, or driving out in nature and enjoying all the scenery. It's an easy way for me to think stuff out or talk with other people.

But I hate driving. I avoid it at all costs. If there's another person, I always want them to drive. I will put off shopping trips to times when my roommate is home to drive, or schedule appointments centered around her schedule to prevent from having to drive myself. If I could avoid it for the rest of my life, I probably would. I hate having to deal with traffic. I worry about accidents and looking stupid in those 4-way stop situations, or never, ever being able to turn left. I just HATE it.

• Neppy, Anthus, Adem and 3 others like this

#10 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:33 PM

I get my licence over a month ago and i'm really enjoying it. There's something so free about being able to just get in my car and go anywhere i want.

We'll see if i change my mind in the future.

• Neppy likes this

#11 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:52 PM

I wouldn't say I enjoy driving itself, but I do enjoy the ability to drive.  To be able to get places without relying on others for transportation has a certain freedom to it that makes most days easier.  Rush hour is no picnic, especially during those rare times of heavy snow or a car accident up ahead, but it still beats having to wait for a bus, or worse, need to take at least two buses to get to your destination.  And cabs are just too expensive.  As for driving itself, it becomes more tolerable with the radio on.  Music, or a morning radio show, has a way of typically relaxing you while on the road, while you can still just as easily pay attention to what is around you.

• Neppy and Anthus like this

#12 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:52 PM

I love car rides. Being on the freeway and hearing the sounds of the road beneath the car, or driving out in nature and enjoying all the scenery. It's an easy way for me to think stuff out or talk with other people.

But I hate driving. I avoid it at all costs. If there's another person, I always want them to drive. I will put off shopping trips to times when my roommate is home to drive, or schedule appointments centered around her schedule to prevent from having to drive myself. If I could avoid it for the rest of my life, I probably would. I hate having to deal with traffic. I worry about accidents and looking stupid in those 4-way stop situations, or never, ever being able to turn left. I just HATE it.

I'm slightly assuming you live in a larger city. If that's the case, I would agree with you about driving. I cannot stand driving around in big cities. I don't go to Minneapolis/St. aul partly because of it, mostly because I can't afford to.

#13 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:56 PM

It really depends on the city too.  Buffalo is not a difficult city to drive in, with traffic that usually isn't that bad even during rush hour, as much as I don't enjoy it.  But cities like New York and Boston I would stay away from.

• Neppy likes this

#14 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 13 September 2017 - 04:56 PM

Columbus can be annoying, mainly cause everyone around here thinks using a turn signal is optional, and no one understands how to properly use your horn. I used to get on the freeway downtown, but now I can bypass that ramp and get on somewhere where it's less of a mess so that's good.

#15 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 15 September 2017 - 07:03 AM

I hate driving. Though I might just hate the crappy car I had to use the few times I did drive after getting my license. At least I don't have the problem that I can't read while I dive myself. It indeed happened before that I had to puke while I was driven.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users