Safety chat thread

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 LikeLike888

LikeLike888

Spicy food lover!!

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:38 AM

An arachnid is an eight legged creature.

What will happen to me if I get venom injected by North America's most venomous arachnid but I do not get any medical help at all?
  • Shane, Jenny and Matthew like this

#2 Theryan

Theryan

Burrito

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:50 PM

The brown recluse is the most venomous spider native to the north American region. If you were bitten and got no medical attention you would experience severe pain and skin necrosis at the location of the bite. You'd have plenty of time to get it looked at by a doctor, but if you didn't for some reason the necrosis could lead to further complications.

#3 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:09 PM

Besides the aforementioned necrosis (large area of dead/ decaying skin), you'll likely get a nasty infection which can lead to death, assuming the deadly neurotoxins haven't shut down your kidneys and other vital organs by now.

Let me put it this way: If you get bit by a brown recluse and let it go untreated, you're gonna have a bad time.

#4 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 14 June 2017 - 04:55 PM

There's also the black widow which can be lethal, but not always. Could be others, but those two are the most well-known as far as typical native species. Strange thread though, basically just go do some research to find more reliable answers.

#5 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:13 PM

Typically, neither the brown recluse nor the black widow is venomous enough to be fatal, assuming you're over the age of 6, under the age of 60 , and not immunocompromised. However, as pointed out above, untreated brown recluse bites CAN lead to infections that can be fatal, but as long as you keep the wound clean, it's just going to REALLY suck to be you, for a while.

Besides the aforementioned necrosis (large area of dead/ decaying skin), you'll likely get a nasty infection which can lead to death, assuming the deadly neurotoxins haven't shut down your kidneys and other vital organs by now.

Let me put it this way: If you get bit by a brown recluse and let it go untreated, you're gonna have a bad time.

Brown recluses don't have a neurotoxin, they have a necrotoxin. It eats away at flesh, but it doesn't affect the CNS.

• Anthus and Dark Ice Dragon like this

#6 Phosphor

Phosphor

Pixelating

• Members

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:27 PM

Funny how I found this thread, because I had an encounter with a brown recluse this morning while feeding my cat. It was hiding on the underside of his water bowl and when I picked up the bowl, I saw the little bastard right next to my right pinky finger. I panicked for obvious reasons and dropped the bowl, knocking him off. To be sure, I got down and got a closer look at the thing, slowly crawling around on the ground. It had the violin pattern and everything, which was really worrying. Even though there was no fang marks, I feared I had been bitten for a short while, but after 13 hours, no symptoms have set in. I guess I got lucky.

#7 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:36 AM

So, does someone know, if this guy is safe? I mean the first thing going through my head after reading this was that LikeLike888 might have written this because he got bitten and underestimated it. This thread is just somewhat weird and while it was only a few days since then, he didn't log in based on "last active" since then and I can't help but find it a bit alarming.

#8 Phosphor

Phosphor

Pixelating

• Members

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:09 PM

So, does someone know, if this guy is safe? I mean the first thing going through my head after reading this was that LikeLike888 might have written this because he got bitten and underestimated it. This thread is just somewhat weird and while it was only a few days since then, he didn't log in based on "last active" since then and I can't help but find it a bit alarming.

Yeah, that is a bit alarming. A bit weird to post something like that here, only to go missing. Hopefully the guy is okay. If he was bitten by a brown recluse or black widow, like Binx said, he should be at the very least alive, assuming he's over 7 and under 60. Mortality rates are below 1%. He's just going to have a really bad next few months.

Edited by Phosphor, 19 June 2017 - 12:09 PM.

#9 LikeLike888

LikeLike888

Spicy food lover!!

• Members

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:48 AM

http://animalsake.co...a-bark-scorpionI am an adult human can an absolute (unrestricted) first time venomous sting by an arizona bark scorpion kill me if I am not life threateningly allergic to its venom?

^ if yes or no does it apply if the arizona bark scorpion is a child or adult?

Thank you in advance for answerin' my questions - Jason
  • Shane likes this

#10 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:46 AM

It's painful, but generally non-lethal according to wikipedia- https://en.m.wikiped...a_bark_scorpion

But, like the Brown Recluse, I'd avoid it at all costs. :P
  • Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#11 LikeLike888

LikeLike888

Spicy food lover!!

• Members

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:09 PM

The meaning of stern is tough sounding authoritive voice sometimes mean.

I have read on parts of
crime-safety-security
website that victims are some times to blame for what happened to them do to the victims contributory negligence such as leaving a door unlocked and I know such victims to blame warnings are not to be unjustifyingly mean at all nor being unjustifyingly mean at all nor both even when being needingly stern.

However I still have a safety question
let's say one day I listen full blast on headphones to the song
Girl Goodbye
by the music band named
Toto
and then I bump into a life threatening dangerous Arizona Bark Scorpion and I get venom inject by the life threatening dangerous Arizona Bark Scorpion, would I be to blame for what happened negatively to me because of the venom injected into me by the life threatening dangerous Arizona Bark Scorpion?

Safety1285
  • Rambly likes this

#12 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 28 June 2018 - 05:51 PM

Girl Goodbye
by the music band named
Toto
and then I bump into a life threatening dangerous Arizona Bark Scorpion and I get venom inject by the life threatening dangerous Arizona Bark Scorpion, would I be to blame for what happened negatively to me because of the venom injected into me by the life threatening dangerous Arizona Bark Scorpion?

Safety1285

Uhh... I don't really know if it would be your fault either way? If you were to step on one without seeing it, I don't think listening to headphones would matter. If you intentionally provoke one to the point of striking, then that would be your fault, either way, headphones, or no. :P

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#13 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 05 July 2018 - 10:25 PM

Girl Goodbye
by the music band named
Toto

Safety1285

what am i reading

• Daniel and Taco Chopper like this

#14 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 06 July 2018 - 02:58 AM

Don't worry too much about those, I hear their bark is worse than their bite. Sha...zam...

Spider safety 101: Lock all your doors and windows.

1c36c0a42dcfa4469eebed326a6d12eca2aa963f

#15 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 06 July 2018 - 04:58 AM

I can't stop looking at that image and being horrified because of the spider.

Also, is that a pot undereneath it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users