Speedrun Contest: Antiquity

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Aevin

Aevin

Lucas, the Reluctant

• Administrators

Posted 13 November 2016 - 03:54 PM

Welcome to the first of what I hope will be a become a recurring series of events. The idea is that we pick a quest from the database and challenge players to compete to accomplish certain objectives. The objectives could range from races, to collection contests, defeating certain foes ... With the rich variety of quests of all different types, there's lots of possibilities here! There's no schedule for these events, but if it turns out to be popular, expect to see a new one fairly soon.

Let's start this off simple with a speedrun race for the quest Antiquity. Antiquity is about as classic-styled a quest as you'll get. It mimics the style of the original Legend of Zelda so perfectly that it feels like a true sequel to the NES original. There's a few additional bosses that feel right out of an old NES game, and a brand new overworld and dungeons to explore. The quest comes from one of the lead Zelda Classic developers, Saffith himself!

To enter, simply record a video of your playthrough and Link to it here. Entries will close at 11:59 US Pacific time on Saturday, November 26th. That gives you right about 2 weeks. Feel free to study the game beforehand, watch videos, or play through it multiple times for the best you can do. Races with multiple players are fine, in fact encouraged, but each contestant must have their own entry video. For those who haven't recorded before, I recommend Open Broadcaster software, which is fairly lightweight and seems to do well even on low-end systems with a few settings tweaks. Commentary on the videos is entirely optional.

The time we use will be the completion time displayed in the classic ending after saving Zelda in the first quest. F6+Continue and uncapping is allowed (since the in-game completion time is unaffected). You're free to post your entry here any time you like, but be aware that other players may see your time and aim to beat it.

With all that said ... This contest isn't really about the winner. It's about playing a quest and having fun! Even if your time ends up not being the greatest, I hope you all will share your videos anyway. I'm excited to see how you all do. Good luck to any who enter!

• Eddy and Jared like this

#2 Dimentio

Dimentio

Procrastinator at heart

• Members

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:18 PM

Wouldn't linking to it here allow others to copy your strategies and easily get a better time than you?

#3 Aevin

Aevin

Lucas, the Reluctant

• Administrators

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:24 PM

Indeed it would. I said as much, there's definitely a bit of risk in posting ahead of time. At the same time, the contest is intended to be pretty casual. It's up to each participant when they post and how they want to approach it.

#4 Moosh

Moosh

fug :DD

• Members

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:39 PM

Wouldn't linking to it here allow others to copy your strategies and easily get a better time than you?

Isn't that pretty much the entire speedrunning community though? People build off of each other's strats, that's just how it goes. Really this doesn't seem like a contest to me so much as a way to encourage speedrunning quests. Nothing's stopping you from doing multiple runs after your PB gets beaten.

• Aevin likes this

#5 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:51 PM

Yeah, most places have demo archives where you can watch speedruns, see how they did it, and try to improve. I used to do Doom speedrunning back in the day. Difference is, most of those maps could be played through in a few minutes using the right technique. Quests are another thing entirely. Calling dibs on Lost Isle.

#6 NewJourneysFire

NewJourneysFire

Deified

• Contributors

Posted 13 November 2016 - 06:11 PM

I would do these speed runs, but speed runs take a lot of practice and a lot of time, and I'm already trying to devote as much time as I can to actually finishing my own quests I'm trying to design. lol

Otherwise I definitely would go for these speed runs. I hope maybe when that time comes this is still a thing. 

#7 Aevin

Aevin

Lucas, the Reluctant

• Administrators

Posted 13 November 2016 - 06:47 PM

I don't necessarily think everyone needs to practice really hard and make serious business out of this. I'd rather see lots of people give it their best shot to challenge themselves than only a couple of elites entering. Moosh pretty much hit the nail on the head. It's largely just an excuse to play quests you might not have tried, with a competitive element for some excitement and something different.

• Eddy and Evan20000 like this

#8 Eddy

Eddy

"The Hylian Champion"

• Database Staff

Posted 14 November 2016 - 03:44 AM

I might give this a try. Antiquity seems like the perfect quest to start on too, so I might have something done before the deadline. This might also give me an excuse to get back into ZC again, so I'm totally for this idea :P

#9 Aevin

Aevin

Lucas, the Reluctant

• Administrators

Posted 15 November 2016 - 04:20 PM

I've enjoyed every one of your videos I've watched, Eddy. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Oh, and just in case this wasn't clear, video playlists are also fine, of course.

• Eddy likes this

#10 Anthus

Anthus

the wild-eyed boy from freecloud

• Forum Moderators

Posted 18 November 2016 - 09:43 PM

This could be a good excuse to practice recording. I'm not promising anything, but I might enter, time permitting. :P
  • Aevin likes this

#11 ZeldaPlayer

ZeldaPlayer

What's up my playas

• Members

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:40 AM

Seems kind of fun, might try this sometime.

• Aevin likes this

#12 Aevin

Aevin

Lucas, the Reluctant

• Administrators

Posted 19 November 2016 - 02:07 AM

I'd love to see both of your runs. I hope you find the time!

I've decided to make a slight change to the rules. Since the in-game completion time at the end is the measure we're using for the contest, you can uncap if you like. A few people have said they have issues with the slow NES scrolling, and there's no need to scroll our lives away. ;)

Also, playlists are also fine, and if you need to pause for breaks that's fine too, as long as it's obvious from the videos that the play time is from one continuous playthrough.

There's a little over a week remaining! Take care that the deadline doesn't sneak up on you!

• ZeldaPlayer likes this

#13 Anthus

Anthus

• Forum Moderators

Posted 19 November 2016 - 11:22 AM

Antiquity has two quests. I'm guessing the run is only going to be for the first quest, right?

Edit, nevermind, apparently I can't read :P

#14 Anthus

Anthus

• Forum Moderators

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:02 PM

You might wanna update the first post to clarify that uncapping is allowed.;)

#15 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• ZC Developers

Posted 21 November 2016 - 08:26 PM

I made a zc build at one time that automatically enabled all the "fast" quest rules for any quest. Partly just for fun and partly to aid in looking for gameplay bugs that people reported. I might try a half-blind speedrun if I have time [half-blind = never played the quest before but with all secrets and item locations well known ahead of time]. This either requires looking through the quest file or having participants share that info publicly. Something else that is important is quest length: It should be speed-runable in under 2 hours, for both recording and minimizing strain on the hand.

Here's some suggestions (I have some ZC speedrunning experience):
-No A+B selectable rule. (L, R, toggle is a must)
-Zodiac screen-scrolling enabled (Available since 2.50.2) + fast dialogs.
-Allow quit-continue. ???

[edit] I see pausing is allowed for breaks. That's actually pretty nice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users