Battle of Olympus appreciation thread

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:32 PM

Even though we're all Zelda fans, it came to my attention that many here are not familiar with "Battle of Olympus", a game released on the NES in 1988, directly inspired by Zelda 2.

I'm a big fan of that game. Since there must be people here who'd also enjoy it, and are not familiar with it, I figured an appreciation thread wouldn't hurt.

olympus-logo.gif

The game is a mix between an action platformer and an RPG, taking place in mythological Greece. There are also some Metroid elements because you are, to an extent, free to roam and collect optional upgrades.

There are obvious similarities with Zelda 2 (acknowledged by the director)... You're going to jump, slash, duck, visit towns with NPCs providing clues, etc. but it's far from being a clone. It has its own personality and puzzles. It even had an ocarina item before the Zelda series did.

9rOHODA.gif9WJiDZs.png

You should totally play it if you enjoy:

- Zelda 2

- Challenging difficulty

- Great music (this game's soundtrack is amazing)

- Greek mythology

You should not play it if you enjoy:

- Easy games... because it really isn't easy.

Edited by Jamian, 03 August 2017 - 05:56 PM.

• ShadowTiger, Anthus, Air Luigi and 5 others like this

#2 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:56 PM

Although this game is great, it suffers from one problem: forced money grinding due to overpriced items needed to progress. And it`s all too easy to lose a full hour of mindless Olive (the in-game currency) grind just to being kicked into a bottomless pit, Castlevania-styled, by a random bird. That problem also affected speedrunning of the game: even fastest, tool-assisted run involves money grinding.

A ROM-hacking modification patch was recently released at RomHacking.net to address those issues by raising drop rates from enemies and also reduces Olive losing rate to death from 50% to 12.5%. Patch available here:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3600

• ShadowTiger likes this

#3 TK8305

TK8305

I <3 Miyu

• Members

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:12 PM

I've played & Lets Played Battle of Olympus!  It is quite the challenging game.  O_O;

#4 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:49 PM

Man the composer of this sound track was a genius! 

https://www.youtube....5BA686F70BA4AA3

Thank you for telling myself and others about this game.

-Strike

• TK8305 likes this

#5 symbiote01

symbiote01

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:41 AM

My absolute favorite part of this game is the sandals of Hermes, which allow you to jump onto and traverse the ceiling.  I have longed for something similar in the 2D sections of ZC, but have yet to see it become a reality.

The similarities to AoL are striking without  being a clone of that title.  I would love to see someone make a Battle of Olympus inspired quest.

Back when it was new, I rented this game from the local video store.  In the almost three years that store was in business, I was the *only* person ever to rent it.  (The same was true for Scheherazade).

Edited by symbiote01, 04 August 2017 - 12:45 AM.

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#6 Alucard648

Alucard648

Wizard

• Members

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:56 AM

Also level design in this game has some vibes from Castlevania, especially levels like Phrygia.

#7 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:48 PM

Good game, it's not as great as AOL, but I like how all the world is interconnected like a metroidvania. 

I made a review of this game in spanish some time ago, but I suppose it's pointless to post it here xD

Edited by Air Luigi, 04 August 2017 - 09:58 PM.

#8 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 06 August 2017 - 05:00 PM

Although this game is great, it suffers from one problem: forced money grinding due to overpriced items needed to progress. And it`s all too easy to lose a full hour of mindless Olive (the in-game currency) grind just to being kicked into a bottomless pit, Castlevania-styled, by a random bird. That problem also affected speedrunning of the game: even fastest, tool-assisted run involves money grinding.

A ROM-hacking modification patch was recently released at RomHacking.net to address those issues by raising drop rates from enemies and also reduces Olive losing rate to death from 50% to 12.5%. Patch available here:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3600

actually, there was a trick for not lose the Olives when you die, but that force you to redo a lot of road.... but rest the fact that is boring collect so much ( more that 350 in all game and you cannot carry more of 99 Olive ), collect olives and salamander's skins too is the only thing i don't liked in this game but fo the rest is great.

Edited by Dark Ice Dragon, 06 August 2017 - 05:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users