Sonic Forces

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#46 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:22 AM

A lot of modern Sonic games are not to my taste, but what do the sales numbers look like? They have to have a following to keep putting them out, right?

#47 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 22 June 2017 - 02:33 AM

I'm staying somewhat optimistic. I'm willing to bet that Park Avenue is the first level. You know that looking at only Green Hill in Generations, it would look just as linear and straightforward. However, Generations opened up to give us levels like Seaside Hill, which was a ton of fun. I do admit that I'm also getting kind of tired of them playing on nostalgia and revisits so much. I mean, we've seen the Egg Dragoon how many times? Show us the promised final version of the Egg Dragoon instead of whatever prototype Eggman's on now, and move on.

My biggest complaints so far, other than the nostalgia-reliance, is

1: Why are we still getting Wisps? I get that they want to keep the power-up concept going, but Colors specifically said that they went away afterwards. I tolorated it with Lost World because it was supposed to take place on somewhere that wasn't Earth, so while it was a stretch, I could accept that the Lost Hex was naturally a Wisp-inhabited planet.

2: Oh god, why are we returning to the double-jump? The jumping mechanics killed me SO MANY TIMES in Sonic Colors. Generations didn't need a double-jump, and neither did (the good part of) Unleashed. A decent jump makes it so that a double-jump isn't needed. It's too easy to end up spacing everything out so that the double-jump becomes the standard jump, and then what? Are we going to get a triple-jump? I say "Screw It" and go full Metroid if that's the case! (pun intended)

3: Why are we still spending so much time in 2-D? If they want to make side-scrolling areas, that's what Classic Sonic is for. Let Modern Sonic have a full 3-D experience, and save any mix-and-matching for the OC character. The excuse was there for the earlier systems that they couldn't handle a decent length, full 3-D game. Now we're on the PS4. Generations did not look all that bad. If you have to, keep things at that graphics tier and focus all of the processing power on level size!

• Anthus and Avaro like this

#48 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:43 PM

Well the lyrical version of the theme song just dropped, sang by the frontman of Hoobastank of all people.

That sure sounds like a lyrical Sonic theme.

• Anthus and Avaro like this

#49 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

Here's our villain, everybody. I call him "Edgelord the OC." Although considering there's an OC maker maybe that's the point. I dunno. This could work out well. I kinda dig his theme song though. Honestly a lot of this gives me early/mid-2000s Sonic vibes and that's okay with me.

• Adem likes this

#50 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:18 PM

Or "Halface". If he's faster than Sonic he's probably mind-controlled and will be an ally later.

#51 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:22 PM

And it's voiced by Kain Highwind from Dissidia 012 and Final Fantasy 4 DS remake. That guy's voice is so easy to notice.

Apparently he also voiced Mephiles in Sonic 06. Hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Edited by Norzan, 20 July 2017 - 02:29 PM.

#52 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:32 PM

Lol, I like it.

#53 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

Apparently he also voiced Mephiles in Sonic 06. Hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Not sure where you got that information from, but Mephiles was voiced by Dan Green, not Liam O'Brien. Dan Green was also Knuckles and it was really easy to tell it was the same actor.

#54 Norzan

Norzan

Adept

• Members

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:07 PM

Not sure where you got that information from, but Mephiles was voiced by Dan Green, not Liam O'Brien. Dan Green was also Knuckles and it was really easy to tell it was the same actor.

Then i got misinformed by some people telling it was Liam O'brien.

#55 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:42 PM

"Hey, it's not his speed, he must be using the chaos emerald to warp!"

"This is the ultimate!"

Looks like he's even edgier than Shadow. But he's not as edgy as Coldsteel the Hedgehog.
  • Adem likes this

#56 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:28 PM

Here's our villain, everybody. I call him "Edgelord the OC." Although considering there's an OC maker maybe that's the point. I dunno. This could work out well. I kinda dig his theme song though. Honestly a lot of this gives me early/mid-2000s Sonic vibes and that's okay with me.

One might call him Infinite the Edgehog.

• Anthus and Deedee like this

#57 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 03 September 2017 - 12:43 PM

Thoughts on this upcoming game after beating Sonic Mania, and replaying parts of Sonic Generations for PC, and 3DS:

Short version, I'm worried about this game. I'm worried about it being another big budget Sonic game that doesn't live up to the hype, and gets shit on constantly. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but here's why. When I went back to play the Classic Sonic Stages in Generations, right after playing Sonic Mania, you can really feel the difference. Classic Sonic's physics behave differently. Classic Sonic's stages also focus a lot more on platforming. There are fewer fast parts, and pressing down on a slope does not make you role down it to pick up speed. These all sound pretty minor, and not big issues in an otherwise fun game, but I'm worried about this game having an identity crisis.

See, cause the speedy parts are reserved for Modern Sonic. After replaying some of these levels, I'm not really in love with the boost style gameplay. It's not bad, but it feels more like a racing game at times. The drifting is fun, I'll admit, but you really have little control over modern Sonic, and the stages feel like amusement park rides more than actual explorable levels. Still enjoyable, but not as good. Then, modern Sonic also had platforming, side scrolling parts. These are at odds with Classic Sonic, and beg the question of why is he even there, cause Modern Sonic is more fun to control in this game, imo.

Seeing both Sonics side by side just makes me think we'll be getting more of that. I like Classic Sonic as a character, but I feel like he should remain in 2D games. What's next, a Sonic game where you also have Advance Sonic, Classic Sonic, Adventure Sonic, and Modern Sonic? That would make sense in a game called Sonic Forces. :P

Generations was considered good cause it was the follow up to Sonic Boom, and Sonic Unleashed, and a string of other horrible Sonic games. Sonic Mania was considered good cause it's what we have been asking for for ever, and it captures the Genesis magic perfectly, for better or worse. It says a lot when a group of hackers, and modders can make a game better than the company that owns the franchise. Sega really does do what Nintendon't (There's an easter egg in Mania that says.. stuff). They could have went the AM2R route, but they gave these guys a chance, and we got an amazing game because of it. I just hope Sonic Forces can keep the momentum going. People love to hate on Sonic cause it is such an esteemed franchise, with tons of fans. I want our blue guy to succeed. 

#58 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 September 2017 - 01:20 PM

Generations was considered good cause it was the follow up to Sonic Boom, and Sonic Unleashed, and a string of other horrible Sonic games.

Er, that's not entirely accurate. Generations came out two years before Boom. And while it followed Unleashed, Unleashed's daytime stages were well-liked, and Generations capitalized off that by reusing the engine and just scrapping the less well received nighttime stages in favor of Classic Sonic stages.

Now with that said, I'm not exactly looking forward to the game, but for different reasons. I really liked the Modern Sonic gameplay in Unleashed and Generations. Buuuuuuut that doesn't look like what we're getting here. I'll plop this down.

It looks much more in line with Colors. The speed sections are more or less just straight lines which require next to no input from the player. The platforming chunks look uninspired, and those damn Wisps are back. They weren't enjoyable in Colors (Cube aside), and they don't look much better here.

Really, Classic Sonic gameplay is the only thing that looks interesting in Forces right now, but as you said, it's almost certain that Mania did it better.

#59 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 03 September 2017 - 03:00 PM

I think the wisps were enjoyable in colours, but they should have stayed in that game.

#60 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:54 PM

Yeah, you're right Russ, I've been kinda out of the Sonic loop. The last game I bought before Mania was Sonic Lost World, if that's any indication. :P

I played unleashed, but tbh I still don't really care for the boost formula. Too bad Sonic 06 pretty much single handily killed the "Adventure" formula.

I never played Colors but I found the stage in Sonic Generations with wisps to be annoying.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users