Photo

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#46 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:28 AM

Hopefully it won't be as bad, but I don't actually frequent any places that talk about Star Wars so I can't say. All I know is there's this new small species that they revealed that's admittedly kind of cute but I'm unsure if I think it fits within the realm of Star Wars. But I guess there's also been weirder creatures in the universe. I'm not exactly going to hate on them like the rest of the internet's doing though; it would make little sense for me to want a bit more originality and then criticize something original. :P

#47 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:53 AM

Yeah, I showed my siblings the picture of the new type of alien, and they all agreed that it looked like the guinea pig from Sandler's "Bedtime Stories"

#48 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:49 AM

I was never bothered by the Ewoks. They were just another curiosity for our heroes to encounter. The Ewoks may have been cute, but they weren't intrusive; they weren't brainless buffoons taking over the movie like the Gungans. And the Ewoks tried to kill Han, Luke and Chewie for food, that's pretty uncute. The Ewoks didn't make the serious parts less serious, or dumb down the dialogue.

I know this wasn't about Ewoks, just saying that I don't mind cute and goofy as long as it's kept in balance. I don't want SW to go too dark either. There's lot of fun moments in 4 and 5.

• Anthus, The Satellite and Mitsukara like this

#49 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:49 PM

Yeah, that's a fair assessment. I too don't mind the Ewoks. People seem to forget that, after the surprise attack, they were losing until Chewie hijacked the AT-ST. So no, teddy bears didn't defeat the Empire.

• Cukeman likes this

#50 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 02 September 2017 - 12:31 AM

Loved Episode 7 and excited for 8, but I can do without all these 'unstoppable' girl power "Rey" ads I keep seeing. No thanks. Just be yourself.

#51 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:14 PM

So apparently Colin Trevorrow was dropped as the director of Episode IX due to creative differences and apparently being difficult to work with. Not sure how I feel about the "creative differences" dismissal on two Star Wars movies in a row, but to be fair to the Solo film, not sure what they expected when they hired comedy directors. As a result, JJ Abrams is actually returning to write and direct Episode IX. Which I'm honestly okay with, it'll be good to see him conclude the story he began; I don't think many people were that enthused over Trevorrow being picked anyway. It's also been pushed back to December 2019 instead of May... but I saw that coming honestly. However, JJ's return calls for a bad photoshop:

DJjF0EkUIAU2FLe.jpg

• Anthus, Adem and Russ like this

#52 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:04 PM

:awesome: nice pic, though it's pretty clear Disney wants this to be the never-ending story 

#53 SkyLizardGirl

SkyLizardGirl

Unbeknownst to danger we call upon your help

• Banned

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:01 PM

There is something strange about the Dark-side and the Light-side you guys should know about i just found..

.. There is another side in-between.  

Check this out you guys, tell us what you thinks. They may try this in the next movies, we dont know yet.

There is a prophecy to this Gray side..

This is very interesting stuff, Origins of the Jedi.

-Things you guys need to know about, that they do not speak of in mainstream starwars.

Official from Lucas - Gray side is in the prophecy.

Extra information:   

https://www.youtube....h?v=8pRDYqzyt7s 

https://www.youtube....h?v=-eQ98zUBiGc  

^Disney taking the story into another direction??

Edited by SkyLizardGirl, 12 September 2017 - 11:20 PM.

• Matthew likes this

#54 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:12 PM

#55 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:55 AM

Critics: "Force Awakens was just a New Hope rehash"

Luke: "This is not going to go the way you think!"

#56 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:35 AM

Critics: "Force Awakens was just a New Hope rehash"

Luke: "This is not going to go the way you think!"

Must contain spoilers...

General thoughts

• Cukeman likes this

#57 Mitsukara

Mitsukara

Ara?

• Members

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:31 AM

It will probably be a while before I see the movie due to still not having all my budgeting stuff worked out and not liking theaters anyway, but I am curious to see it.

I'm gonna hold off on reading your spoiler block until I do (unless it's a spoiler-lite spoiler block? Lite Spoilers have fewer calories). Hopefully I can find this thread again and remember by then.

I liked episode VII for the most part- my only real complaints (having seen it only once, mind you, because I don't have my own copy yet) were that it was a bit darker/more depressing than I'd like, they sorta missed their only (probable) opportunity to have Luke interact with Han again, I never really liked the "Han and Leia's kid turns evil" schtick in either continuity, and I feel like calling it the "Resistance" is silly/characterizing the New Republic as trying to demilitarize to the point of uselessness seems like a hokey and questionable concept. So far I feel like it would've made more sense to simply say this is simply the New Republic's army, and have them operating basically the same way.

But Rey was cool (I particularly like the early scenes of her trying to make a living on Jakku and barely scraping by), Finn was awesome- Finn is the best part I think, and he's my default answer to anyone who tries to say the movie is a retread of episode IV because seriously, where does Finn fit into that metaphor?- and Kylo Ren, like the concept or not, was very well executed (reminding me of the Sam Raimi/Toby MaGuire Spiderman films, but in a good way, I liked those) as he seemed very mentally unstable and his sort of cargo-cult idea of Darth Vader, misunderstanding the core of what Darth Vader was ever really about (devotion to family above all else), is an interesting concept. Seeing old Han and Leia was great (though I don't really like the idea that they spent lots of years apart or grew distant, it just kind of comes with the evil son concept I guess), BB-8 was cute, and altogether it was a pretty good movie.

I'd sort of rank the Star Wars movies like this:

VI (personal favorite)
V (probably the best-executed one)

IV (the classic)

VII (pretty good, my complaints are more about tone than execution)
III (flawed and clunky, but with some strong moments and good imagery Also Anakin looked really cool in this movie even if his character had some writing isseus)
I (a few interesting ideas, a few bad ideas, mostly a dumb execution)
II (a clunky mess with only a few likeable qualities)

I haven't seen VIII but I suspect it'll place similarly to VII. The trailer made it look like it has almost the same feel. I think I will be disappointed on my initial hopes/thoughts, that we'd be seeing less of the 'Desperate struggle against an oppressor' dynamic and more of the 'cleanup of a collapsing mess' late-World-War-II-vs-Germany dynamic that seemed more logical after episode VII. It really seemed like the First Order was composed of high-strung officers, brainwashees, and increasingly disloyal troops, and were putting all their eggs in the basket of Starkiller Base (contrasted with how calm and collected the Empire was in episode IV). I can certainly imagine Kylo Ren continuing to do lots of damage, but he's a total nutbar, and I've generally imagined him more like that scene that gets memetically re-subtitled with Hitler freaking out in the war room and firing people and banging his fists ion a map- a crazy man already breaking down, unable to cope with the realization that his side has already lost. That would be a dramatic and fresh story for Star Wars, and ultimately more hopeful.

Buuuuut it sounds like we instead get some 'desperate struggle' by the Resistance against 'overwhelming oppression' as they flee and Starkiller Base pulls a ton of resource out of their star-butts and they're trying way to hard to claim it's "darker and edgier" than a movie I already felt overdid that. So that sounds a little disappointing and boring.

Whatever they do with Luke- kill him, boil him, put him in a stew- I can still say with certainly that I'm excited to see Mark Hammill reprise the role at all, period. Luke was my favorite character (vanilla though that may be) and I'm happy to see him again in any form, even if the material's not great. I guess this is part of why a lot of people were excited to see the Star Trek TNG films with fresh eyes back in the day; I dislike TNG's films because I feel they were all badly written, but I had the luxury of not seeing the whole show before I saw those movies so that denied them their 'reunion with old friends' advantage.

Speaking of Star Trek, I have no particular faith nor interest in JJ Abrams and I'm glad Episode VII bore as little resemblance to that stupid 2009 Star Trek movie as it did, because that movie was dumb and awful (My apologies to any Trek 2009 fans). And I say this as someone who criticizes even my favorite iterations of Star Trek (Trek has a loooot of off days, it's sort of a diamonds-in-the-rough franchise). But I don't even know who these other directors are so I have no real opinion one way or the other XD

Edited by Mitsukara, 16 December 2017 - 05:30 AM.

#58 strike

strike

life is fragile, temporary, and precious

• Members

Posted 16 December 2017 - 01:44 PM

So I felt like this movie had a lot of ups and downs. It made both better and worse decisions than episode seven in my opinion. It's highs were higher and its lows were lower. Overall I definitely think it is better than episode seven though I thought seven was pretty mediocre. Some decisions in this movie were just bad.

-Strike

#59 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 16 December 2017 - 02:12 PM

I'm gonna hold off on reading your spoiler block until I do (unless it's a spoiler-lite spoiler block? Lite Spoilers have fewer calories). Hopefully I can find this thread again and remember by then.

No plot spoilers at all yet from me. I am more polite than that.

Whatever they do with Luke- kill him, boil him, put him in a stew- I can still say with certainly that I'm excited to see Mark Hammill reprise the role at all, period. Luke was my favorite character (vanilla though that may be) and I'm happy to see him again in any form, even if the material's not great. 

I don't believe you'll be disappointed there.

And I say this as someone who criticizes even my favorite iterations of Star Trek (Trek has a loooot of off days, it's sort of a diamonds-in-the-rough franchise). But I don't even know who these other directors are so I have no real opinion one way or the other XD

Some movies I watch based on directors; others on source material. I have no idea what the director of Episode 8 did prior; nor do I care.

I will agree that the quantity of "meh" Star Trek far exceeds the excellent (in TV, movies and books) and I'm not even going to get started on my loathing for Discovery... (Burn! Let it all burn!)

Hopefully it won't be too long before you can see the new one.

• Mitsukara likes this

#60 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:24 PM

EP. 8 reaction w/spoilers

Edited by Cukeman, 17 December 2017 - 10:14 PM.

• Rambly and ywkls like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users