Photo

Sonic Forces

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 July 2016 - 01:32 AM

Sonic announcements all over tonight.

Basically, Sonic Generations 2. It's not a sequel to Generations apparently, but it appears to be a similar game, just without revisiting past stages it seems. That's fine with me, as long as it's a fun game. Bring it on, Sega.

• Avaro likes this

#2 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 23 July 2016 - 01:48 AM

What kind of games are the sonic games? I think I have some negative prejudice against them, always disliked them and kind of thought "how could they" when they put Mario and Sonic together in some party-games, without even ever playing a sonic game. Might be because I watched a horrible series as kid, but as bad as it might be, it can't be bigger crap than a new series called sonic boom. But with so many great people here that do love the Sonic series it can't be so bad.

In other words, try to convert me into your little sonic sect ;)

#3 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 23 July 2016 - 03:39 AM

What kind of games are the sonic games? I think I have some negative prejudice against them, always disliked them and kind of thought "how could they" when they put Mario and Sonic together in some party-games, without even ever playing a sonic game. Might be because I watched a horrible series as kid, but as bad as it might be, it can't be bigger crap than a new series called sonic boom. But with so many great people here that do love the Sonic series it can't be so bad.

lol

You should be careful which Sonic games you play, if you want to try this series. Some are really good, some are really bad. Generally, the games differ a lot from each other. What they all have in common is that you can run really fast (except the Sonic Boom games :P)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this. I hope the focus is on new stages and not on re-imagined stages. I wonder if the game will actually play out like Sonic Generations.

Edited by Avataro, 23 July 2016 - 03:41 AM.

• Naru likes this

#4 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 23 July 2016 - 04:37 AM

Play the first three games on Genesis (& Knuckles) and then marvel at how you can count the good games since then on one hand. The Sonic series has some real gems, but it's a marvel the series has managed to stay alive this long despite the many failures in between. I guess it's the extreme loyalty the fanbase has combined with a little bit of gambler's fallacy. "Surely since the last few games ranged from mediocre to terrible, this next one will strike gold. The forces that be owe us a good game after Boom."

As for this new game, I'm feeling like it's taking itself a little too seriously. Historically when the series had a more serious story to tell it led to things like '06, Secret Rings, and Black Knight didn't it? Then again, if we get another scene with Sonic talking about the inevitability of death or something of the sort, maybe it'll be worth it...

• Ammako likes this

#5 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 23 July 2016 - 04:57 AM

Apparently Classic Sonic is Sonic's only friend.

I'll wait until I see gameplay of this before I decide whether I want it or not.

#6 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 23 July 2016 - 05:00 AM

I noticed it said NX, is this the second NX confirmed game (the first being Breath of the Wild)? And is that NX symbol something Nintendo is officially using until we get more info, or is it just a random font?

#7 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 23 July 2016 - 05:13 AM

I noticed it said NX, is this the second NX confirmed game (the first being Breath of the Wild)? And is that NX symbol something Nintendo is officially using until we get more info, or is it just a random font?

Wasn't it slipped somewhere that another game was coming to NX? I think the new Dragon Quest?

I hope this game doesn't end up a failure. Some fans are already somewhat-blindly complaining in the comments section. More excited in trying out Mania but I might give this a whirl when I get an NX.

#8 Ben

Ben

a very grumpy

• Members

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:26 AM

Looks like Crisis Rooftop City Run Zone.

#9 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:53 AM

Hey look, a nice looking pre-rendered cinematic and no gameplay footage! Sega's classic way of luring people to their games without them realizing that the gameplay is gonna be shit.

(of course I'm being hyperbolic for the lulz)

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 22 June 2017 - 12:05 PM.

• Anthus and Ammako like this

#10 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 23 July 2016 - 11:14 AM

Sonic Generations was a good entry. If this game follows that formula while tightening up some of the mechanics this should be awesome. The giant death beam during egg robots remind me of the alien mechs from war of the worlds.

Also NX release confirmed. No WiiU version though? And it would have been nice to see some gameplay. I hope they don't have to rush it together.

#11 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:36 PM

They're platform titles, like Mario, except the idea is to use momentum and speed to clear the levels. In fact, they were inspired by the creator attempting to beat Mario levels as fast as possible. They can be pretty fun games, you just have to look for the good ones. Leaving out my own opinions, the ones generally considered good by the fanbase are Sonic the Hedgehog 1, 2, 3, & Knuckles on Genesis, Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 on Dreamcast and Gamecube, Sonic Colors on Wii, and Sonic Generations on Xbox 360 and PS3.

Adding in my opinions: Adventure is meh and Colors is garbage. Also I actually enjoy Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog (Xbox, PS2, and GCN) as well as Unleashed (360/PS3). Your mileage may vary, but I haven't been as anti-Sonic as pretty much everyone has been lately in regards to recent titles. In recent years, yeah, things haven't been so good, but the early 3D Sonic days weren't as bad as everyone thinks in my opinion.

As for this new game, I'm feeling like it's taking itself a little too seriously. Historically when the series had a more serious story to tell it led to things like '06, Secret Rings, and Black Knight didn't it? Then again, if we get another scene with Sonic talking about the inevitability of death or something of the sort, maybe it'll be worth it...

Eh, Adventure and Adventure 2 took themselves seriously and they're among the most beloved games in the franchise. Heroes is the last thing I'd call "taking itself seriously" and it's generally disliked, so it's honestly more about whether they can make a fun game than whether the story takes itself seriously. Also Unleashed took itself seriously and it was still a great game, critics be damned. Plus, there's a bit of a charm to really goofy cutesy characters in a story trying to be all serious, '06 aside.

No WiiU version though?

It's a power thing, most likely, but if this game is able to work on XB1 and PS4 as well as NX... maybe that's a nice small hint to the power of the console. Or so we can hope at least.

• Anthus and Naru like this

#12 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:08 PM

Yeah, like everybody said, Sonic games are pretty hit-or-miss. They change up the mechanics so often that you can't use past games to determine if you'll like other ones. If you can emulate a game in a sub-set, you can get a pretty good idea which ones you'd like without much issue. Basically, pick a single game and try it, and if you like it, play the other related games.

Sonic The Hedgehog

Sonic 3

Sonic 3 + Knuckles

Sonic CD

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Adventure 2

Sonic Heroes   (Changes the formula slightly and plays differently, but otherwise very similar. Don't use this one as point of comparison)

Sonic Unleashed (Day Stages fit, Night Stages do not. Personally, I'd play the conversion mod for Generations)

Sonic Colors

Sonic Generations

The rest of the games in the series are more unique, so there isn't much of a way to compare them. If you're playing on a handheld, they're generally side-scrollers like the Genesis games, but relying more on a player-activated boost instead of momentum (if playing on a DS. The Advance games are much closer to Genesis)

My personal favorites are Sonic 3 + Knuckles (Best in the entire series, just make sure you have "Sonic 3 + Knuckles" for the full game. "Sonic 3" and "Sonic + Knuckles" alone only let you play half of the game), Sonic Generations, and Sonic Adventure.

• Avaro likes this

#13 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:51 PM

I will say, the apocolyptic feel of it, and the whole "VIVA LA RESISTANCE" thing around the end of the trailer kinda gives me Sonic SatAM vibes.

#14 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 24 July 2016 - 02:04 PM

Confirmed, Jaleel White voicing Classic Sonic and Jim Cummings voicing Robotnik.

(a guy can dream)

#15 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:25 PM

Why does classic sonic need a voice actor?

• Cukeman and Naru like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users