Photo

Screenshot of the Week 582

MrPow Sheik Russ Joelmacool

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 582 (60 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:25 PM

MrPow

MrPow.png

Link: "So I battled my way through a forest of trees only to find myself in a DUNGEON OF TREES!?!?... Of all the days to forget my allergy medication..."

(Please excuse the subscreen, it's a work in progress. And I build my dungeons in Overworld dmaps so the dungeon map is whack, but I think that can be fixed later)

Sheik

Sheik.png

Russ

Russ.gif

If you look closely, you can see the point where Russ's soul shatters when he realizes nobody's going to pay attention to the fact that the clouds and mountains can be seen through the window as they pass. Hurray for spending more time scripting a faux-parallax background effect than actually building the area!

Joelmacool

Joelmacool.png

:)

• Neppy, Twilight-Prince, Joelmacool and 1 other like this

#2 MarinaraSauce

MarinaraSauce

Magus

• Members

Posted 23 October 2016 - 10:37 PM

All awesome shots this week!

Ended up voting for Sheik. Considered voting for Russ, until I started getting war flashbacks to Propeller Knight's Airship, and that is not a place I like to think about. *shudders*

#3 FireSeraphim

FireSeraphim

Behold the might of legend!

• Members

Posted 23 October 2016 - 11:19 PM

I like Mr.Pow's shot the best, it's really creative use of flagstone floors, dungeon elements and trees really sell the setting, so to speak.

• Cukeman likes this

#4 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:48 AM

MrPow- that's my vote, that vote again is MrPow!   :whistle:

Edited by Cukeman, 24 October 2016 - 02:59 AM.

• MrPow likes this

#5 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:07 AM

Mr Pow - Very nice dungeon shot here. I like what you got going so far, though a few things I'd change: the statue on the bottom-left looks a bit out of place with everything, and the torch looks weird with that colour (probably go for something more white). I'd also go against stacking trees on top of each other like you did, since it just doesn't look right IMO. I'd make them diagonally spaced out like the trees at the top-left of the screen.

Sheik - Beautiful shot, I love the palette here, it makes the environment look quite dark and very forest-like. I got no criticisms with this one, nice work.

Russ - Really liking the cloud effects here and the simplistic design of the screen. I can see this being some sort of crazy challenge or something :P Nice work here though.

Joelmacool - This really reminds me of HDIPZ, with the castle walls, arrangement of trees etc. I really like how the entrance looks, and I got no criticisms for this one either. Great work!

I voted for Sheik this week, with either Russ or Joel in close second. Good job to all.

#6 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:11 AM

Mr. Pow - a very vivid screen and the one I liked the most at first, but I agree with Eddy on the details

Sheik - most likely the best forest-shadows in ZC I have ever seen, but the gray stuff in the subscreen confuses me, it is not made with ZC, or?

Joelmacool - perfect beside the slightly weird looking gate, but nothing special

Russ - I start to feel like my lacking interest in your group-project has a bit of ZC-blasphemy.

#7 MrPow

MrPow

Initiate

• Members

Posted 24 October 2016 - 10:00 AM

Mr Pow - Very nice dungeon shot here. I like what you got going so far, though a few things I'd change: the statue on the bottom-left looks a bit out of place with everything, and the torch looks weird with that colour (probably go for something more white). I'd also go against stacking trees on top of each other like you did, since it just doesn't look right IMO. I'd make them diagonally spaced out like the trees at the top-left of the screen.

Null vote because I'm in this week.

I appreciate the feedback as I am still trying to wrap my head around all the different tiles in the DoR Hybrid tileset, and, not to mention, I know little to nothing about pallets and csets. :(

Here is my human attempt to rationalize my decisions:

• This dungeon has many of those little eyeball statues, as if the whole temple is watching you, but I could probably get rid of that first one.
  • I know the torch looks weird but I was trying to go for a mossy look (I probably need to make  custom tiles or tweak the pallets or something)
  • The trees are stacked so it limits the path the player can take. (It might make more sense if you got to see more of the dungeon) It is supposed to be like "oh damn, I cant go this way because these damn trees have blocked the path." But I will see if I can come up with a more visually appealing way to do that.

That out of the way, I really liked all entries this week.

Shiek - This is beautiful. Teach me how to shading. (Is this like a Secret of Mana tileset or something? I dunno, looks SoMish to me)

Russ - This looks like a trailer for a LoZ action movie, and I LOVE IT!!

Joelmacool - This screen is just great. Link's Awakening was my first (and favorite) Zelda game so the GB graphics really hit home for me. Love the layout of the trees. This screen makes me want to explore.

Edit: Added a missing period (see if you can guess which one) :)

Edited by MrPow, 24 October 2016 - 10:01 AM.

• MermaidCim and Eddy like this

#8 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:07 AM

The shadows are a transparent layer. The tileset is DoR. The tree is custom sprited.

Thanks for everybody's feedback.

Oh, and the sunscreen is meant to be marble. It's in ZC of course. Edit: This is what it used to look like:

y5Yfn37.png

Edited by Sheik, 24 October 2016 - 02:29 PM.

#9 MrPow

MrPow

Initiate

• Members

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:19 AM

Oh, and the sunscreen is meant to be marble. It's in ZC of course.

You should really use liquid sunscreen because marble sunscreen does not block the harmful UV rays as well ;)
  • Anthus and Sheik like this

#10 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:23 AM

@Russ' screenshot caption: don't worry, I care for details like that. This effect looks great! My vote went here.

#11 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:59 PM

You should really use liquid sunscreen because marble sunscreen does not block the harmful UV rays as well ;)

You gotta adjust the marble so it throws the proper shades. I adjusted mine to throw forest shadows.

• Cukeman likes this

#12 MermaidCim

MermaidCim

Yes I'm that guy who dreamt Dani was Zelda. LOL Cimfam/zelda

• Members

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:11 PM

gonna give it to sheik. really i could make a case for him, mrpow or russ. what did it for me is how well put together sheik's is. russ's looked great and mrpow's looked great too, the coloring is decent.

joel's is good, but it doesn't stand out for me. it's nothing that special honestly.

#13 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:27 PM

Pow!

I voted for MrPow.

#14 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:00 AM

Sheik gets my vote this week. Awesome shot!

#15 MrPow

MrPow

Initiate

• Members

Posted 26 October 2016 - 07:33 AM

The tree is custom sprited.

Is that how you were able to layer the trunks in the top right corner?, by making custom tiles that had transparent backgrounds instead of grass? Because I can not figure out how to achieve that visual effect.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MrPow, Sheik, Russ, Joelmacool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users