Urgent! Support Needed! Send Backup!

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 02 September 2016 - 03:44 PM

I've been thinking about this for a while and now that my work on Metroid: Origins is finally done; I think this is what I want to do next.

Basically, I will be attempting to recreate Metroid, Metroid II: Return of Samus and Metroid: Fusion in ZC. I already have a (mostly) complete version of Super Metroid; so that's probably where I'll start working first. I also realize that some things (like Z3 scrolling movement) may not be possible so I'm willing to forgo that in favor of getting these released someday.

Additionally, I am in need of support in the form of people who might be able to find or rip sprites, music and sound effects. There are a large number of these which are not generally available on the internet and so far my efforts have run dry.

I may also create an entirely new Metroid game while working on this, if I get a get enough idea. Considering the need to map out everything thoroughly, completing any one of these is probably going to take a great deal of time.

Here's a list of some specific things I'd like to get.

• 1 x 2 Zero Suit Samus sprites, a la Metroid: Zero Mission. I won't be doing that game, though I feel having these sprite would be good for the future.
  • Improved 1 x 2 Samus sprites for Power Suit, Varia Suit and Gravity Suit.
  • Golden Chozo statue sprites- the only ones generally available are for the normal Torizo, which aren't easily translated into the golden form.
  • Tiles for Ridley statue at entrance to that section of Norfair. As far as I can tell, these don't exist at Spriter's Resource.

Once I have a playable demo for any of these, I'll release it.

Edited by ywkls, 02 September 2016 - 03:45 PM.

• Epsalon ZX and Zaxarone like this

#2 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 03 September 2016 - 12:03 AM

So, here's a bit of progress. Today I revamped my existing Super Metroid quest to use better graphics in Crateria. This is the result so far. Maps are shown left to right.

I'll probably want to redo the "brick" tiles at some point. So far, the rocky ground is the main change that has been made.

#3 Epsalon ZX

Epsalon ZX

Dragon Of Wind

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 03 September 2016 - 09:04 AM

I wasn't expecting to see a post on your next metroid project so soon. VGMusic.com is good for midi type files...but MP3's might be harder to find if you're going for that. File sharing sites like 4shared might have entire soundtracks for the games if you're lucky. I'm not sure for Sprites or sound affects. Though I do play roms, I can't hack them. 

#4 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 03 September 2016 - 03:55 PM

I wasn't expecting to see a post on your next metroid project so soon. VGMusic.com is good for midi type files...but MP3's might be harder to find if you're going for that. File sharing sites like 4shared might have entire soundtracks for the games if you're lucky. I'm not sure for Sprites or sound affects. Though I do play roms, I can't hack them. 

Usually, for sound effects I use a free program called Audacity that will record anything sound-related playing on your computer. The problem is that with the emulators I have, shutting off the music so you only hear the sound effects isn't possible.

I got a few good midis from a download available here on PureZC, though not the music from the original Metroid games. (I'll probably use VGMusic for that.)

I don't know how one would go about getting sprites from existing games. And I'm not very good at making new ones.

As for the speed with which I decided to jump into this, I decided to cave to my obsessive tendencies rather than dither around trying to do something else. So far, I've made quite a bit of progress updating what I already have created.

I'm fairly certain I can finish Metroid 1 & 3 (especially since I've already got a rough draft of Super Metroid completed). I intend to try to do Fusion, but that's after the others. With Metroid II, the only real setback is the fact I haven't done a spider ball script yet and I don't really want to make it like AM2R. (Especially since I can't play that on my computer to see what it's actually like.)

#5 WhippyBoi

WhippyBoi

You don't belong in this world

• Members

Posted 03 September 2016 - 09:20 PM

With Metroid 1, are you going to do it with the new section of the game that Zero Mission adds?  Never mind.

Edited by Cloud Strife, 03 September 2016 - 09:21 PM.

#6 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 03 September 2016 - 09:51 PM

With Metroid 1, are you going to do it with the new section of the game that Zero Mission adds?  Never mind.

I might, some day. For now, I'm focusing on smaller; more manageable problems. Like making the speed boost work on slopes. (And soon, I hope to add the ability of the shine spark to interact with slopes like in Fusion and Zero Mission.) In fact, the sprites I have for Zero Suit Samus are from Zero Mission; but they're too big. So, that's why I asked for help with them.

#7 Epsalon ZX

Epsalon ZX

Dragon Of Wind

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 September 2016 - 11:29 AM

AM2R is much like a Zero Mission clone of Metroid 2, though I think you already knew that.

Yea...a spiderball script...that's one item that was exclusive to Metroid 2. To be honest...I'm not sure why it was only used in that one Metroid game (excluding Prime series)

Update...you managed to fix the Space Jump?

Edited by Epsalon ZX, 05 September 2016 - 11:31 AM.

#8 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 05 September 2016 - 08:03 PM

More map graphics updated! These are all Norfair, in no particular order. (The rest of Norfair is done, just the maps are a bit of a jumble so I'm not posting them here.

I also found those Ridley statue graphics that I needed, so those are no longer required. Next up, Maridia and the Wrecked Ship. (And save stations.)

#9 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 10 September 2016 - 09:48 PM

I'm fairly certain that ZQuest can read SPC files, so you can use the music data directly off Super Metroid. You can also check out some SNES hacking sites like SMW Central, if you decide to go that route, since they have a fairly large custom music section that's all done in SPC, as well as a tool that's commonly used to allow them to use the music samples from the ported-from game, so it sounds more accurate.

As far as Fusion music, I remember reading in an old forum post on Sonic Retro that somebody found some tools that rips GBA music in MIDI format, and rips the instrument data as a soundfont. Using the two together gives you a perfect replication of the in-game music. You could use Audacity to record it as an MP3 or something, or try to rework the MIDI to use standard instruments that would work in ZQuest directly (If looping is important to you)

Regarding the sound effects, I'm pretty sure that you can find the Super Metroid sound effects the easiest. I had found a database of sound effects ages ago that I used for my current quest, but I can't remember where I got them from. Still, considering I found them after a spur-of-the-moment search, you shouldn't have too much trouble. Once you have a set of sound effects from one game, I'm certain you can get away with using them across all three games. As long as they're recognizable as "Metroid", I'm sure nobody would mind hearing the Super Metroid missile sound in Metroid Fusion.

I'm not too good at spriting, and I gave it a try a while back when I saw your Origins game, but you might be able to Franken-sprite something together using the NES Castlevania Belmont sprites redone to look more like Samus. They should fit fairly well within your size constraints, and the walk at half-speed would be menacing enough to work for the SA-X. (Also, the walk cycle for Samus on Metroid 1 and 2 always bothered me) A bit of additional shading if needed would work well alongside the SNES and GBA graphics.

#10 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:19 PM

I'm fairly certain that ZQuest can read SPC files, so you can use the music data directly off Super Metroid. You can also check out some SNES hacking sites like SMW Central, if you decide to go that route, since they have a fairly large custom music section that's all done in SPC, as well as a tool that's commonly used to allow them to use the music samples from the ported-from game, so it sounds more accurate.

That's something I'm definitely willing to give a try. Thanks for letting me know that's possible!

As far as Fusion music, I remember reading in an old forum post on Sonic Retro that somebody found some tools that rips GBA music in MIDI format, and rips the instrument data as a soundfont. Using the two together gives you a perfect replication of the in-game music. You could use Audacity to record it as an MP3 or something, or try to rework the MIDI to use standard instruments that would work in ZQuest directly (If looping is important to you)

I'm not too worried about music... yet. One step at a time....

Regarding the sound effects, I'm pretty sure that you can find the Super Metroid sound effects the easiest. I had found a database of sound effects ages ago that I used for my current quest, but I can't remember where I got them from. 

I've found a few that are sort-of adequate. But I'd prefer authentic ones. Fortunately, another user on PureZC has provided cheat codes that let me disable the music in-game so I can play, record stuff on Audacity and move on.

Still, considering I found them after a spur-of-the-moment search, you shouldn't have too much trouble. Once you have a set of sound effects from one game, I'm certain you can get away with using them across all three games. As long as they're recognizable as "Metroid", I'm sure nobody would mind hearing the Super Metroid missile sound in Metroid Fusion.

I'm probably going to do something of the sort. I'm not entirely committed to a 100% authentic experience. (Especially when it comes to the original Metroid.)

I'm not too good at spriting, and I gave it a try a while back when I saw your Origins game, but you might be able to Franken-sprite something together using the NES Castlevania Belmont sprites redone to look more like Samus. They should fit fairly well within your size constraints, and the walk at half-speed would be menacing enough to work for the SA-X. (Also, the walk cycle for Samus on Metroid 1 and 2 always bothered me) A bit of additional shading if needed would work well alongside the SNES and GBA graphics.

I hadn't thought of using sprites from there, but I can always try it and see. The problem I've had with most of the ones that I've found is that they're too big.

I'm probably going to start the sound recording part of this project before too long. When I do, I'll make a point to share what I produce with everyone else.

Edited by ywkls, 10 September 2016 - 11:22 PM.

#11 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:56 PM

Well, I'll certainly get the automap code done for you, for this: I stopped working on it when you released Origins. Also, if you're going to do this, I strongly advise moving all the vars for Samus into one array (Samus[]) and making accessors for them, so that setting actions and such, is simplified.

• ywkls likes this

#12 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 11 September 2016 - 09:15 PM

Well, I'll certainly get the automap code done for you, for this: I stopped working on it when you released Origins. Also, if you're going to do this, I strongly advise moving all the vars for Samus into one array (Samus[]) and making accessors for them, so that setting actions and such, is simplified.

Good, excellent... as I've already commented; deciding to do this was more along the lines of, "Well, I don't have any ideas or enthusiasm for doing anything else, so why not?"

I'm in the process of expanding/revising the code as we speak. If you'd like details (or to help with anything, like say... the spider ball) I can provide more here or on Skype.

#13 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 24 September 2016 - 06:21 PM

Well, I've gotten quite a lot of script work (and other stuff) done for the Metroid 3 (ZC Edition) remake. Here's a brief summary of what I've done so far.

Created scripted beam->Next combos.
Created rising lava script which either stands still or moves up and down.
Made Speed Boost destroy combos underneath you as you run.
Created closing barrier script.
Adjusted all bomb flags to be adjacent to their intended targets.
Adjusted all areas for 1 x 2 Samus graphics.
Switched all combos where they'll be destroyed by the beam properly.
Adjusted crumbling blocks so you can always get out.
Changed all Restore Station graphics.
Changed areas where Screw Attack works correctly.
Added in scripted Save Stations.
Removed redundant ffcs.
Installed enhanced Samus graphics.
Fixed bug with Morph ball being drawn over overhead combos.
Created rising pillar script.
Added diagonal Shine Spark.
Created code for partially shallow areas, where Gravity Suit is needed.

And this is what's left to do...

Make power bombs detonate any power bomb combos on screen.
Make power bombs reveal secret combos.
Record all authentic sound effects.
Add in all relevant scripts.
Finish updating all area graphics.
Test the game myself.

I may work up a demo for the Expo, since I think I can get everything but the sound effects done by then.

#14 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 07 October 2016 - 09:12 PM

Well, I missed the deadline for the expo; but that hasn't stopped me from continuing to work on this.

Here's what's been done since my last update.

Newly done

Made power bombs detonate any power bomb combos in effect range.
Made bombs and power bombs reveal secret combos.
Changed message for Speed Boost to cover diagonal Shine Spark.
Added in all relevant scripts.
Scripted Gadora, the eye boss door.
Finished updating all area graphics.

Still to Do

Script hopping life sucking enemies.
Script grabber enemies.
Script fire breathing seahorse, and walking seahorse
Create large Kraid.
Create Gold Chozo.
Create diagonal firing scripts and graphics.

That doesn't even cover a few script I feel the need to improve. Some of these I've kind of taken a stab at already, without finishing them off. I still don't have very good sprites for the Gold Chozo, unfortunately. I'm also probably not going to push forward on the sound effects recording until that demo is done.

As for the other games in the series, I may take a break from developing existing stuff once I get my Metroid 3 quest working. I have some ideas for a sequel to Metroid; Origins that I want to work on, so that'll probably be the next thing on my agenda.

#15 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:58 AM

And yet more work has been done on this! Here's a list!

Done

Scripted fire breathing seahorse.

Created diagonal firing scripts.

Scripted wall firing creatures. (Fune)

Imported more accurated enemy sprites.

Scripted mouse-driven subscreen.
Scripted one-button item switching.
Scripted customizable controls.
Altered all items script to run globally.
Made it where all 5 beams types can be toggled on an off at will.

And yet to do (this list seems to get longer every time I post it...)

Script hopping life sucking enemies. (Beetom)
Script grabber enemies.
Script walking seahorse. (Alcoon)
Create large Kraid.
Create Gold Chozo.
Create diagonal firing graphics.
Script jumping rays (Choot)
Script brain bug hives. (Kago)
Script enemy spawner
Script diving flies (Reo)
Script jumping lava rays (Squeept)
Script the Ceres Station Ridley fight.
Set up advanced enemy sprites.
Organize scripts and delete unneeded ones.
Test the game myself.

My current plan is to set everything up from the start of the game to you reach large Kraid and have that be the introductory demo. So far, I'm using every Ex button, along with A, B, L and R to handle the controls. These are mostly customizable to a choice of 7 preset alternatives.

Technically, you could finish the game as it is without that large Kraid fight; but since that's probably going to take the most time of the enemies I haven't done yet; I don't want to put off a demo while I wait to finish that. I'm hoping to have one out by the end of the month.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users