Lag Zelda Classic Zelda Quest Windows 10 Issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 08 September 2015 - 11:25 PM

Ever since I moved laptops, Zelda Classic and ZQuest both have started lagging badly. ZQuest achieves only ~20 FPS at best, with slightly more when uncapped (regardless of interface - I get the same lag in both 2.5 and 2.10 interfaces). Zelda Classic itself, when I test my quest, hits 40-50 FPS when capped and ~300 FPS when uncapped.

I am running Windows 10, is there anything up with Windows 10 compatability?

#2 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 09 September 2015 - 02:57 AM

It's certainly possible, even probable. Run a cursory check for malware, and the like. If you find nothing, it'll likely be a problem with Allegro on Win 10. (Everyone should know by now, that ZC hates Win7, and anything later than Win 7 is just asking for trouble.)

Post your ag.cfg file, and perhaps we'll find a solution, but the only real solution is not to run Windows 10. (Is there any good reason to run that, at all, ever?)

You may also need to try running ZC with, and without admin rights.

Edited by ZoriaRPG, 09 September 2015 - 02:58 AM.

#3 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:48 AM

I'm sure if you call Micro$oft tech support in India they will give you a ticket so you can just pay the $1500 fee and they'll ship it over to their office in the Philippines where they handle all of their major customer support and then you should informed as to the nature of the problem.

[Otherwise I have no comment on windows 10; I still use XP :rolleyes: though you may be able to find whats wrong if you search for DirectX 3-7 compatability issues with wd10 (from now on I'm calling windows 10 wd10) since that's basically what allegro uses.]

#4 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 09 September 2015 - 05:39 AM

This is my ag.cfg file:

http://pastebin.com/JrGyG3bS

Running in admin mode did nothing, and I tried searching for results relating to possible incompatabilities with Windows 10.

Edit: Turning VSync on gets me a full 60 FPS while capped in ZC, but still only ~300 when uncapped. Turning VSync on for ZQ gives a slightly higher FPS, but still not a full 60 FPS. I guess I can live with that.

Edited by Orithan, 09 September 2015 - 05:46 AM.

#5 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:08 AM

Not sure if this helps, but I run in Windows 7 and I noticed it seems that when I have FEWER things running, ZC likes to lag a lot. But if I leave something somewhat resource intensive running in the background, it runs without any lag. Not sure how that works, but that's what works for me.

#6 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:37 PM

(Everyone should know by now, that ZC hates Win7, and anything later than Win 7 is just asking for trouble.)

That's news to me. The most problem I ever had with ZC in Windows 7 was the period of time before disable_direct_updating = 1 was added to the config file since Aero had to be disabled to play ZC in that case and some applications reacted weirdly to switching that on and off. Fullscreen even worked fine for me, which I found a bit surprising since I don't think that was the case in Vista.

Anyway, as for lagging in Windows 10, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if there's a DirectX issue happening. The other day one of the updates for Windows 10 apparently updated DirectX and it ended up making the Direct3D driver in Retroarch really unbearably laggy for me when it had been working fine before the update. I had to switch to OpenGL. I'm not sure what to do if this is what's happening with you and ZC though. :shrug:

It sounds like you've found a workaround at least.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Lag, Zelda Classic, Zelda Quest, Windows 10, Issue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users