3 Button Items

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DigitalDetective47

DigitalDetective47

Quest Maker

• Members

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:31 AM

I was hoping to be able to use a script to make the Ex1 button function as a third button that you can assign items to, similar to the A & B buttons. I was also thinking that Ex2 could be used as sort of a 'pause' button, similar to what select did in the original Legend of Zelda on the NES.

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 07 April 2019 - 12:00 PM

Assigning items to button other than A and B is doable... but not easy, by any means. There's two methods. The first, which is used in the Vintage Dreams tileset (so you could copy the script from there), involves a complicated workaround of, when you press Ex1, changing your a button item to that weapon, pressing A, and swapping it back before you notice anything's changed. It works, but it has some issues. The second is to completely rescript every item and just launch the script when Ex1 is pressed. Doable - I've used this method myself - but not exactly practical if you're looking to use mostly built-in items. Either way, it's a lot of effort.

Pausing with Ex2 would be significantly easier, but would likely mess up combo cycling without a fair amount of quest-specific foresight put in, and frankly, isn't really worth it unless you're using a custom subscreen.

#3 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:47 PM

Pause is viable. IIRC, a FreezAll combo doesnt halt the active script. Russ means that the pause feature would not work when th subscreen is open. It'd be better if I just add a pause button to the controls internally. The same applies to additional button items, but that is far mor work.

A paus key already exists, so mapping it to a controllr button is somwhat trivial.

#4 DigitalDetective47

DigitalDetective47

Quest Maker

• Members

Posted 07 April 2019 - 03:39 PM

the pause feature would not work when th[e] subscreen is open.

That would actually be preferable as this is how the pause button works in the original Zelda 1.

#5 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 07 April 2019 - 07:04 PM

Pause is viable. IIRC, a FreezAll combo doesnt halt the active script. Russ means that the pause feature would not work when th subscreen is open. It'd be better if I just add a pause button to the controls internally. The same applies to additional button items, but that is far mor work.

A paus key already exists, so mapping it to a controllr button is somwhat trivial.

Russ meant that combos will still animate and cycle while paused, which is not wanted behavior.

#6 DigitalDetective47

DigitalDetective47

Quest Maker

• Members

Posted 07 April 2019 - 07:07 PM

Oh. I get it now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users