Photo

Screenshot of the Week 324

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (57 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:18 PM

Very harsh man. Will, you don't have to put people down. There is way easier ways to tell people there screen isn't very good without hurting there feelings. And saying the screen is oddly similar to Linkers is just plain stupid. It's just a remake of another screen he made.

Lot's of other people like his screen.

It's one thing to have an opinion, (nothing wrong with that at all icon_smile.gif ) but going out of your way to cause harm to someone is just plain mean.

#17 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 June 2011 - 05:51 PM

I agree. You should be ashamed of yourself, William.
You have NO right to say Yoshidude copied my screen. In fact, I think i showed mine after him. And even if he did, I wouldn't care one bit. This is a community, and we're supposed to help each other. And he's my friend.
Leave him alone.
And critiquing meanly without even telling him how to change it helps NO ONE either.
I've lost a huge deal of respect for you.

Edited by Lynker, 15 June 2011 - 05:52 PM.

#18 Isdrakthül

Isdrakthül

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:03 PM

Strictly speaking, he said only that it looked "oddly similar to Lynker's". That's far from an accusation of plagiarism, and I don't think that accusing Yoshidude was his intent. It seemed to me as though he was using it to introduce the comparison.

#19 William

William

Banditos

• Members

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:29 PM

QUOTE(Lynker @ Jun 15 2011, 05:51 PM) View Post

I agree. You should be ashamed of yourself, William.

It's an internet forum, fo' rizzle. I will never be ashamed of myself for what I've done on an internet forum.

You have NO right to say Yoshidude copied my screen.

You seriously need to start reading and thinking before you rage out. That's not what I said at all. Let's not put words in other's mouths. icon_wink.gif

In fact, I think i showed mine after him. And even if he did, I wouldn't care one bit. This is a community, and we're supposed to help each other. And he's my friend.

This is all pretty random, considering I wasn't accusing him of copying anyway.

Leave him alone.

Yes, sir!

And critiquing meanly without even telling him how to change it helps NO ONE either.

I was a little short on time, and couldn't figure it out for him. I don't see anything wrong with pointing out the bad in a screen. icon_shrug.gif

I've lost a huge deal of respect for you.

I LOVE when I lose someone's respect due to their own misunderstanding!

QUOTE(Keiichi123 @ Jun 15 2011, 05:18 PM) View Post

Very harsh man. Will, you don't have to put people down. There is way easier ways to tell people there screen isn't very good without hurting there feelings.

I'm sorry man if I hurt his feelings. That wasn't my intention at all. It's just, sometimes I don't have the time to sugarcoat everything. If I am correcting something and it sounds mean, no that I'm not trying for it to be mean.

And saying the screen is oddly similar to Linkers is just plain stupid. It's just a remake of another screen he made.

It IS oddly similar. What's wrong with pointing that out? I was doing it simply as an example of what would look better detail-wise, even if they had similar designs.

Lot's of other people like his screen.

Random, much? Did I say that nobody liked it? I don't think so. icon_eyebrow.gif

It's one thing to have an opinion, (nothing wrong with that at all icon_smile.gif ) but going out of your way to cause harm to someone is just plain mean.

But you see, man, I wasn't going out of my way to hurt his feelings. And frankly, if that hurt his feelings, he should grow some thicker skin and take the criticism with a grain of salt.

People REALLY need to stop jumping to conclusions. It's pretty frustrating, and REALLY annoying. :/

Edit: Ninja'd by Isdrakthil. As it is, my post wasn't too hard to decipher. Izzy did it with no problems. (And thanks, by the way Isdrakthil, for trying to explain it to them. I really appreciate it.)

Edited by William, 15 June 2011 - 07:38 PM.

#20 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 15 June 2011 - 07:44 PM

Ok, Guys lets not start a fight, If William hates my screens, that's his opinion.

Edited by Yoshidude, 15 June 2011 - 07:51 PM.

#21 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:11 PM

Sepulcher - 6/10
Certainly nice graphics to choose from, but I find the design (and thus usage of the tiles) to be slightly better than mediocre. The cliff arrangement and bushes on the south side are probably the best parts of the screen. However, the ground details feel a bit uncomfortable to me. Also, the placement of the hut seems to waste a lot of useful space behind it, when it could get better use by being at least a little closer to the cliff, although it doesn't necessarily have to be right up against it either. The flower arrangement on the higher ledges feel a bit phony to me, and the tree so close to the hut also doesn't feel right to me, since it looks like they might possibly share some of the same space, or be very close to being so.

King Harkinian - 6/10
It's an okay dungeon screen. I love experimentation with black and white and similar color arrangements, but despite that, the design of the screen looks okay. Certainly busy and leaves plenty to the imagination though. A run of the mill game boy dungeon screen, which is okay for most dungeon screens that use it, but probably won't be good enough to win SotW on most weeks.

Isdrakthul - 7/10
Certainly a screen of significance, and the ground details are in good taste, as they show good attention to the detail without looking like it's trying too hard. I'm not a huge fan of symmetry in an overworld screen, but I take exception to manmade objects in a clearing, such as graves. I like the tree and bush arrangements, with just one exception: The tree near the right grave looks too close for comfort. A very well designed screen for the most part, but leaves me desiring a little more for it to get that in awe sort of reaction.

link1996 - 5/10
I certainly understand the intention here, which is fine, but from the design standpoint, I don't think there is much creativity here beyond finding the right tiles for everything.

Yoshidude - 6/10
It's decent. The cliff walls are pretty straight, but I think your choice of them doesn't make them look so bad. The tree arrangement is okay, but there isn't much you can do with that when they are that dense. While there isn't much walkable space, I think what you have there is good, as it doesn't try to do too little or too much. Probably not the best screen in the world for functionality, because the area of action is limited, but sometimes you need screens like that in an overworld. So for the sake of an entire overworld, it plays its part well.

Lynker - 7/10
Looks pretty good to me. It offers just the right amount for such an overworld screen. While not the most interesting screen in terms of being vote worthy for me, it is certainly full of functionality, and I do like the design of it all.

Moo2wo - 7/10
I enjoy screens like these a lot, so it is nice to see them in SotW once in a while. I really like the detailing quite well, as I certainly think the effort in it was high. Very well done, and well detailed for a screen with a lot of walkable space, although still not among the most interesting screens I have seen.

William - 7/10
You certainly seem to have a knack for classic screens, something I see from only a small handful of others too. Ground details are very good for classic. I like the orange sky and the horizon a lot. It certainly does its job well to indicate a sunset.

This week presented a good problem to have: Picking a favorite, as it was hard for me to decide. Plenty of good screens to choose from, even though none got an outstanding reaction from me (thus a lack of 8, 9, or 10 from me). I decided to go with Lynker this time, as I thought attention to detail was the best among them, although there are some very close calls to that too. In my opinion, always.

Guys, stop bickering. We don't need to take this too seriously. I thought William's comments were perfectly legit, even though I disagree with some of them. People are allowed to be honest, even if it includes telling people what they don't want to hear. "Worse" should not be an offensive word, and I don't think he was indicating that one screen was a copy of another, but rather saw some similarities, which is okay. A lot of this is spawned by people thinking what someone said was worse than it actually was, thus simple misunderstandings. I didn't get any hint of flaming or trolling from him either, after reading through his post more than once. If you don't agree with the criticism, just ignore it. We have to grow a thick skin eventually, or the pressures of adulthood will eat you alive when you reach it, if you know what I mean.

#22 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:22 PM

IPB Image
But the REAL theft went unnoticed!
Hah. I think this screen design MAY be the new 744. icon_razz.gif

#23 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 15 June 2011 - 08:26 PM

Well, I simply stated something, and Lynker and that other fellow made it turn into a war witch wasn't necessarily. You could really do that in PM so threads aren't ruined or any were close to ruined.

And Will, if you're not trying to hurt people, how come Yoshi got hurt?
If you have a response, answer it in a PM. Not in a great thread icon_razz.gif

Edited by Keiichi123, 15 June 2011 - 08:28 PM.

#24 link1996

link1996

• Members

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE(Lord Settra! @ Jun 15 2011, 10:57 AM) View Post

Wooow, lots of amazing pictures again.
But my favourite one ist Isdrakthül's pic. ^^

@link1996:
Please tell me, where you got the micofone-tiles from, I MUST have them! XD

I had to hand draw the tiles, sorry. icon_razz.gif

#25 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 16 June 2011 - 07:41 PM

Sepulcher
1) Looks perfect. 'Nuff said.
9.5/10

King Harkinian
1) Bringing flashbacks of LA, Level 7 to be more precise.
2) Looks perfect. 'Nuff said.
8.5/10

Isdrakthül
1) You have done how screens should be in the DoR tileset.
2) You've keep it simple and kept the detail balanced quite nicely.
9.5/10

link1996
1) While it looks bland it brings something new to the ZC table.
2) The man who sells beer is laying down I don't think that was you intention.
3) Some tiles like the tables are in a different perspective.
6.5/10

Yoshidude
1) The River on the top is straight and bland.
2) The water shadows on the bottom are layout in a odd fashion.
3) The sand trail just looks bad, I know there is sand trails in real life but I prefer dirt trails more.
4) Palette is well picked.
6/10

Lynker
1) Looks perfect. 'Nuff said.
9.5/10

Moo2wo
1) The wall looks very oddly coloured.
2) Other then that: Looks perfect. 'Nuff said.

William
1) I don't like those edited mountains. I can't dig 'em.
2) I don't like the fence tiles. No shading, no perspective.
3) Water tiles look kind of bad.
4) But the sunset scene is perfect I guess.

Voted Moo2wo.

Edited by Midnight_King, 16 June 2011 - 07:44 PM.

#26 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:28 PM

I liked both Isdrakthül and Yoshidude's very much. Isdrakthül's was a little more striking, and I felt Yoshidude could use slightly bigger trees.

#27 Rastael

Rastael

Wizard

• Members

Posted 19 June 2011 - 03:12 PM

QUOTE(Keiichi123 @ Jun 16 2011, 03:26 AM) View Post

Well, I simply stated something, and Lynker and that other fellow made it turn into a war witch wasn't necessarily. You could really do that in PM so threads aren't ruined or any were close to ruined.

And Will, if you're not trying to hurt people, how come Yoshi got hurt?
If you have a response, answer it in a PM. Not in a great thread icon_razz.gif

Can you upload the tiles please or send me an email? ^^

#28 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:05 PM

Sepulcher - 7 votes = [14.29%]
King Harkinian - 5 votes = [10.20%]
Isdrakthül - 3 votes = [6.12%]
link1996 - 7 votes = [14.29%]
Yoshidude - 2 votes = [4.08%]
Lynker - 5 votes = [10.20%]
Moo2wo - 12 votes = [24.49%]
William - 8 votes = [16.33%]

Total Votes: 49

Moo2wo
IPB Image
Link's gonna have to time this jump well...

Congratulations Moo2wo!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users