Photo

Parking ~ Backing In or Driving In?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Parking

What's your preferred method of parking?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:37 PM

We're having a lot of fun with these general poll questions aren't we?  Let's capitalize on the trend~

So this time, for you drivers out there, how do you prefer to park?  Backing In or Driving In?

Backing In requires some work to get in the space, but usually means you can just drive out when you leave later.

Driving in is straight foward, but usually means you have to back out when you leave later.

Parallel Parking or driving over the line in a parking lot not included~

#2 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:48 PM

Driving in. I'm done driving for now, I'll deal with that carefully backing up stuff later when I start driving again, besides I'll have a fresh pair of eyes after taking a break.

Don't hire me for a getaway job I guess.

• The Satellite likes this

#3 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:48 PM

I prefer driving in and backing out myself.

#4 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:49 PM

Backing In requires some work to get in the space, but usually means you can just drive out when you leave later.
Driving in is straight foward, but usually means you have to back out when you leave later.

That's why I usually drive in to a double-column parking strip and cross to the other side.

Parallel Parking or driving over the line in a parking lot not included~

D'oh.
  • Koh likes this

#5 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:50 PM

Generally, I pull in, and back out. Reversing into an open parking lot "lane" is easier than backing into a space with a car on either side, imo. What I try to do also is pull in, and if the spot across from me is open, I'll pull all the way through so I can pull out too.

Edit: I'm literally sitting in my friend's car in a krogers parking lot now lol. He pulled in, but there's a cart corral in front of us.

#6 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:59 PM

Pretty much what everyone else said. It's easier to back out into a lot than to back in between cars.

• Anthus and Cukeman like this

#7 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:31 PM

And here I thought we would go from Pancakes vs. Waffles to Tacos vs. Burritos.

If we are talking about typical parking lot spaces, I prefer to drive in, because that is easier.  While that means you typically need to back out when you leave, rather than drive forward (unless you are lucky enough to not have a car parked in front of you, and no wall either), I find that backing in is still harder for me than backing out.  When you back out, you are entering a space that is not between cars (just watch for moving traffic), while when you back in, you have to often account for getting into a confined space with a car on each side, or in the case of a driveway, between two houses or two yards.

When it comes to parallel parking, if it is a space between two occupied spaces, I prefer to back in, because that is how I was taught to do it, and I am more used to it.  I also do that if the space only has a car behind it.  In the case of just a car only being in front of the space, it's easier to go in forward.

• Anthus likes this

#8 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:33 PM

And here I thought we would go from Pancakes vs. Waffles to Tacos vs. Burritos.

Eh, if you wanna get technical, burritos are a type of taco.

• Anthus likes this

#9 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:37 PM

I prefer to just pull into the parking spot. I'll back it out when I go to leave. 

#10 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 18 June 2017 - 05:18 AM

What spawned this question was actually what happened yesterday, lol.  A lot of people at this extended stay seem to enjoy backing into their spaces.   Which is fine, but it also means that when other people are coming in, they have to wait a bit because they're trying to back in, lol.  I got held up three times for that yesterday, as I was trying to leave and come back in twice.   But I wasn't mad or anything, it just had me wondering.

So far everyone's a drive in type person.  I am too actually, lol.  I do drive over the line in parking lots because it's so much easier and gives the effect of backing in without any of the work.

#11 Beefster

Beefster

Human Being

• Members

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:02 PM

Driving in. Parking spaces aren't really designed to be backed into.

EDIT: To elaborate, the angled ones really can't be backed into and there's never really enough space to back into spaces for the square ones.

Edited by Beefster, 28 June 2017 - 11:05 PM.

#12 Daniel

Daniel

v My Godess

• Members

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:06 PM

I prefer to back in. I have a private parking spot at my apartment right at the bottom of my stairs and I always back into it. Save for pretty much anywhere I go. The exception being if its a big parking lot like Walmart for example I generally Park far away so no cars will be in the spot in front of me, that way I can just pull out of it. But big parking lots are really the only place I pull into.

I drive an F-150 with a SuperCrew cab and 6.5' bed and no backup camera, so I'm pretty good at backing up as I've done it with cattle trailers and the boat numerous times. 

My brother recently got a truck with a backup camera and the first time or two I drove it I used the mirrors out of habit. Got to say I wish I had requested one added onto my truck now after using one firsthand. 

Edit: Just looked at the poll, surprised I'm the only one. Also parallel parking was mentioned and there is nowhere around here where you have to do so, so the only time I ever did it was on the driving test where I backed into it (as I seen in the book you're supposed to).

Edited by Daniel, 17 July 2017 - 09:09 PM.

• Anthus likes this

#13 coolgamer012345

coolgamer012345

🔸

• Members

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:07 AM

I prefer drifting sideways into the driveway like I'm playing Mario Kart.

• Shane and Eddy like this

#14 Magi_Hero

Magi_Hero

gubgub

• Members

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:51 PM

I'm used to driving in. I do have a friend that backs his truck in all the time though.

#15 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

I've noticed people with trucks back in more. My dad has a full sized pick up, and he almost always backs in. My other friend has a truck, and usually backs in too. My theory is it's easier to see the back end of a truck (the end of the bed is the end of the vehicle, save for a few inches) whereas in a car, it can be harder to tell where the end is, cause cars are usually contoured. Backing in becomes easier with a much clearer visual cue, and it's always easier to pull out, so it's a win win. But this is just a theory. A truck theory.

Oh, and if I'm parallel parking, I do back in. Unless there's a ton of space. For me, backing my little hatchback Pontiac Vibe into a space is easier if it is parallel parking cause like above, the end of the car is the end of the car, so it's easier to see.

• Daniel likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users