Photo

Screenshot of the Week 362

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 362 (43 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#16 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(blackbishop89 @ Apr 10 2012, 09:29 AM) View Post
Question guys are those waterfall tiles suppose to be CSet 7?
Given it's Classic, I would guess they're supposed to use cset0.

#17 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:46 PM

Aslong as it looks good it can use the CSet.

#18 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 10 April 2012 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE(blackbishop89 @ Apr 11 2012, 12:59 AM) View Post

Question guys are those waterfall tiles suppose to be CSet 7?

The waterfall was originally used in the overworld Cset, but I like it in that Cset you used it in, it's nice.

#19 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE(Gonken @ Apr 10 2012, 11:45 AM) View Post
...the sand isn't used properly...

PROPERLY?? Nothing wrong with how I did it. It may be used in a way that is new and creative, but
I wouldn't have it any other way. This is one of the reasons I asked for no comments. People tell
me I have done something "wrong" by putting old tiles to new use. People were wrong about another
shot I submitted awhile back. Sure the tiles I speak of were designed not to be seen, but I LOVED
the visual effect they gave my screen. I don't necessarily want to restrict myself to doing only
what has been done before, and I don't have to.

Also, may I refer people to Rule #6 of the SotW Rules several people have broken this rule already.

I don't mean to single you out Gonken, but your post is typical of the posts that set me off,
and since I admittedly have issues keeping control of myself, I requested no comments, so
that I would not be tempted to launch into an argument

#20 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

QUOTE(Cukeman @ Apr 10 2012, 11:29 PM) View Post

PROPERLY?? Nothing wrong with how I did it. It may be used in a way that is new and creative, but
I wouldn't have it any other way. This is one of the reasons I asked for no comments. People tell
me I have done something "wrong" by putting old tiles to new use. People were wrong about another
shot I submitted awhile back. Sure the tiles I speak of were designed not to be seen, but I LOVED
the visual effect they gave my screen. I don't necessarily want to restrict myself to doing only

Also, may I refer people to Rule #6 of the SotW Rules several people have broken this rule already.

I don't mean to single you out Gonken, but your post is typical of the posts that set me off,
and since I admittedly have issues keeping control of myself, I requested no comments, so

Hey hey hey, it's alright. No need to explode. icon_smile.gif
I actually like the sand. It's used in a different say. Kind of like a wavy way.
If you simply explain why you're using the sand right/a different way, then Gonken will understand. icon_razz.gif

Edited by Jared, 10 April 2012 - 10:36 PM.

#21 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:44 PM

That being said, I would like to say thing. There's no such thing as proper usage of tiles. If there was, creativity would not exist here.

#22 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

What I think Cukeman did with the sand is perfectly fine in my opinion, I'm leaving it at that.

Also looks like Jared is going to reveal his project soon. :O

#23 Supindahood

Supindahood

Wizard

• Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE(Cukeman @ Apr 10 2012, 09:29 PM) View Post

Take it easy, what I probably meant was that you didn't use it how it originally was used, with that I mean like in SD3. But it can be used either way if you want to. I wasn't wide awake when I made that post and it seems I wrote it a bit rude too. ;s

Edit: I probably didn't notice the "no comment" either. :/

Edited by Gonken, 11 April 2012 - 04:07 AM.

#24 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:26 AM

CastChaos:

You show some rudimentary abilities with the tileset but you are bending it in certain ways that it should not be bent.

First of all, subscreen feels a little cramped. Not hard to fix, though.

Secondly, presenting so many different perspectives at the same time makes everything look incongruous. LTTP-style graphics do display perspectives in ways that don't happen in nature, but it's best to avoid being quite so obvious about it; follow the rules of realistic perspective as often as you can. Besides, ZC screens are small enough. You don't need to cramp them any more than they already are.

skateboarder11:

Very simple, and nothing bad-looking to point out. icon_smile.gif Not exciting, but for a Classic shot it's nice.

Orin XD:

Hey, the ground/trees are nicely done, with the stone walkways blending into the dirt. The building seems a little cramped, though, pressed right up against the mountains like that. Also, the brick walls become a little repetitive when spread over such a large space. Do you have any windows or something to put on them?... Make sure you notice that there is a small "wrong combo" error on the rightmost edge of the first story.

Nice crystal and NPC. icon_smile.gif I like the additions you are making to the tileset, from what we can see here. Keep it up. This wasn't my #1 favorite shot, but it came close.

Shane:

Again, a very simple shot, but not as simple as the Classic shot, by nature. You've made sure that all the pieces fit together properly on this screen, and there are no technical errors (although the walk flags behind that sign might be slightly annoying).

I could vote for this, as it is a solid screen to put in a quest, except that there isn't really anything to pique my curiosity. The "!" bubble is the only thing of interest, and since it's just a cave, I have no way to guess what it could possibly be.

Anyway, if you change anything here, all you need to do is add one object that specifically makes the player curious. icon_smile.gif

Jared:

Another simple screen, but I like it. I can find no errors in it, and the screen looks both functional and interesting. Of course, there are no enemies, but given he is claiming his reward, I can just assume Link already killed them all. This one got my vote. icon_smile.gif

Rambly:

A solid Pure shot, good in any Pure quest, but so basic that I can't get worked up about it. Also: a dog? What dog?... If that Link sprite has something to do with it, I can't make out what any reason why.

blackbishop89:

Perfectly good Classic shot, though fairly simple. I like the waterfall. Assuming this is directly from Zelda II, what area does this screen correspond to?...

Cukeman:

---- --- ------. icon_smile.gif ------, -------------- -------- ---- -------. -----, ------------- --- ----- ------ -----? --------... ----------- ------ ---------- -------. icon_confused2.gif ------- ---------, ----- --------- ---- -------------? ....!!! ---------?!?! icon_ahha.gif -----.... ------- --- ---------- ---- ------!!! icon_naughty.gif -------, ----- ------------- --- -------- -----. ---------, ----? icon_wink.gif

#25 NoeL

NoeL

Legend

• Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:47 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Apr 11 2012, 04:26 AM) View Post
Cukeman:

---- --- ------. icon_smile.gif ------, -------------- -------- ---- -------. -----, ------------- --- ----- ------ -----? --------... ----------- ------ ---------- -------. icon_confused2.gif ------- ---------, ----- --------- ---- -------------? ....!!! ---------?!?! icon_ahha.gif -----.... ------- --- ---------- ---- ------!!! icon_naughty.gif -------, ----- ------------- --- -------- -----. ---------, ----? icon_wink.gif
wat is dis i cant even reed wot ur saying icon_eek.gif icon_sorry.gif WthSmiley.gif

#26 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:53 AM

QUOTE(NoeL @ Apr 11 2012, 04:47 AM) View Post
wat is dis i cant even reed wot ur saying icon_eek.gif icon_sorry.gif WthSmiley.gif

Cukeman asked for no comments. This is how it is done!!... icon_glare.gif

#27 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

I apologize Cukeman. I didn't read your caption beforehand, most likely because it's been a while since somebody has asked for no comments. Since it is clearly in the SotW rules, I decided to remove mine, even though I am personally against the existence of such a rule. Then again, I don't run SotW, so it isn't my call. I don't mean to derail the topic with discussion of that rule, so I think we can leave it at that, at least within this topic.

#28 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 11 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

CastChaos - Pretty good layout, nice overhang, the only things I see issue with is that stone in the middle of the spikes on the left side of the screen, as the border looks off for some reason, and the fact that only two boxes under the overhang have a shadow over it while the other two don't.

skateboarder11 - It looks very neat except for the ground grass tiles. Not the cuttable grass, but the path. It just doesn't look right to me. Otherwise, great screen.

Orin XD - The palette's kind of monotonous, which probably works for its intended purposes, and I feel like there may be one or two too many trees in this shot. The ground detail is nice though.

Shane - I voted here. This kind of shot is common, but it's really the only one that stands out. It's pretty, I actually like the palette, and it's laid out very well. Nice job. icon_thumbsup.gif

Jared - That message is blocking too much of the screen below. I'd kinda like to see the entire screen to judge better, but what I can see looks fine. icon_shrug.gif

Rambly - Looks fine, nothing much to say about it, might have a tiny touch too much grass detail and fallen leaves, but otherwise, good shot.

Cukeman - comments

blackbishop89 - A good Classic shot. Nothing needs more be said, nothing to this shot needs to be done.

#29 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

QUOTE(Radien @ Apr 11 2012, 05:26 AM) View Post

Rambly:
Also: a dog? What dog?... If that Link sprite has something to do with it, I can't make out what any reason why.

It's from a Yu-Gi-Oh card description that me and Ebola Zaire and Alison find funny because we're smartasses. icon_frown.gif I just threw it in there because it happened to be on my mind, and I didn't have any other ideas for a description.

Also it's Descendant. Y'all youngins don't even know your tilesets anymore. Shameful shameful. icon_frown.gif

Anyway, I voted for Shane this week.
Thanks to everyone who voted for me! icon_shy.gif

icon_cry.gif

#30 SpikeReynolds

SpikeReynolds

Ironically bald furry

• Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:13 AM

Voted for skateboarder11. That shot just has, you know...that feel. It's all lively and s***.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users