Photo

Map of the Month 20

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

Poll: Map of the Month 20 (42 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote for your favorite map!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:13 AM

Welcome to Map of the Month 20!

We're only two months away from our second annual Map of the Year, if I haven't done my math wrong, that is... and chances are that I have, cause I suck in math, but either way, that's not important right now. Before we get to the beautiful maps we have this month, I want to ask of you, a little favor. This is not a big deal, and it shouldn't be regarded as a rule as much as a friendly gesture.

You see, all the maps that I get from you, I download to my "Map of the Month" folder on my computer, to keep a full archive of everything we've had so far, even though we do have an online archive too. However, when I reupload the maps, I always name them by the name of whoever submitted the map, so it is easier for me to know what goes where. Some people already do this, but it would save me a little time if you submitted your files already named with your nickname. So that, if "iLoveMushrooms" submits his map, instead of calling it "zelda394068097.png", or maybe "Awesomeforest.png", it's "iLoveMushrooms.png". But as I said, this is not a rule, and you're not going to get disqualified for not following it... it's just a nice gesture, if you manage to remember it. It'd be well-appreciated.

Just one more note before we begin: I'm having a special MotM, starting soon. You can click here for details.

That's enough talk, let's get down to business. We have four magnificently crafted maps this month, so get your criticism-pen and voting-finger ready, cause it's time to vote for your favorite map:

Jimmyb

Jupiter
You might lose more than a limb, in the Loseyaleg Everglades.

Sephiroth
Level 2 awaits, can you take the heat?

Yoshidude

So get to it, people! Let the voting begin.

#2 cosmofield

cosmofield

Magical Girl

• Members

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:39 AM

I missed to vote in the previous one, and this month seems to be harder to choose. Jimmyb's map has appealing contures and colors. Once you look closer at Jupiter map, you noticed nice details, well-balanced shallow and deep water. I like the variated shape of things in Sephiroth's map also, and Yoshidude's map is also quite good (better than I thought in yesterday)

*voting*

#3 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:43 AM

I went with Jupiter. Those new tiles are amazing!

#4 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:01 PM

So glad to see a good showing for this event--start working on submissions for 21 people!

I nulled of course, but I'll still comment:

jimmyb: It's charming. icon_love.gif ...the colors are really nice, and that shell is great. Where'd you get that? It's a little on the small side for the competition (imo), but for what it is it's really nice. I'd love to get my hands on those craters (though I think the one by the bridge is misplaced) and the sand bunkers around the edges of the island...man...those are really great--so much better than the optical illusion tiles that are normally used for sand borders. Did you make those?

Jupiter: This doesn't show all the screens in the area...particularly, it extends to the east and south some. I would have liked some good bird and nest tiles to sit on the trees...and I think somebody should produce duck tiles (bobbing on the water) for the community.

Sephiroth: That thing looks like a monster of a dungeon. I particularly like the maze on F2. Seriously it looks like you put a lot of thought into the design of it and I think I'd feel extremely accomplished after defeating it. I am impressed that you were able to make a large dungeon where the rooms seem to each have a memorable feel to them. It looks very ZC, but epic.

Yoshidude: A nice map. I've commented on this a lot already so I won't add much here. I do think that it would look better if the land did not drop off into the water with mountain tiles...nothing geographically impossible about this it just does not seem to match the area to me. Plus, if you don't have water tiles that meet the mountains with animation I think that is less than ideal. It's really a good effort though.

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:00 PM

Jimmyb: it's Wind Waker! I think. It looks awesome!

Jupiter: I love it. The colors, design, tiles, everything, is perfect. My only complaint is that the flag near the top left looks out of place.

Sephiroth: Awesome level! It looks horribly convoluted, especially for only level two. Me wants to play it.

Yoshidude: As I've said in the screenshot thread, it's an amazing map, especially for somebody new to ZC!

Tough choice, but I'm voting for Jupiter.

#6 Jenny

Jenny

braixen

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ May 1 2010, 03:00 PM) View Post

Jimmyb: it's Wind Waker! I think. It looks awesome!

Jupiter: I love it. The colors, design, tiles, everything, is perfect. My only complaint is that the flag near the top left looks out of place.

Sephiroth: Awesome level! It looks horribly convoluted, especially for only level two. Me wants to play it.

Yoshidude: As I've said in the screenshot thread, it's an amazing map, especially for somebody new to ZC!

Tough choice, but I'm voting for Jupiter.
Actually i am not all that new i have been on zc since last year summer

#7 Titanium Justice

Titanium Justice

Justice is served!

• Members

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:17 PM

I voted for Jupiter. The layout is well spread out and the tiles are great, like usual.

#8 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:41 PM

Jupiter it is.

#9 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 01 May 2010 - 04:02 PM

I went with Jupiter this time around.

#10 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:16 PM

JimmyB's just screams Wind Waker, and I really like Wind Waker...as it was my first console game that I played, and then also my first that I owned.

#11 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:25 PM

*Sephiroth nulls

QUOTE(Jupiter @ May 1 2010, 12:01 PM) View Post

Sephiroth: That thing looks like a monster of a dungeon. I particularly like the maze on F2. Seriously it looks like you put a lot of thought into the design of it and I think I'd feel extremely accomplished after defeating it. I am impressed that you were able to make a large dungeon where the rooms seem to each have a memorable feel to them. It looks very ZC, but epic.

Hehe, yeah, it took me at least 4 days to put the thing together. If it wasn't for Joe123's red/blue block script I'm utilizing in the dungeon, it would've taken at least 3 whole maps to pull off. Special thanks to Joe for the script! ^_^

Level 2 is the second major dungeon our of 5 in my quest that you will tackle. The dungeon item is the bomb bag, and the dungeon itself is designed on interior dmaps, yet with room state carry overs, I also have working off-center bombable walls. icon_biggrin.gif And yeah, this is a monster of a dungeon coming in at 108 screens total. Nearly twice the size of level 1.

The thing with me though, I'm great and designing dungeons, but when it comes to overworlds, eh, I, well, am not that good. Thanks for the comments though. ^_^

QUOTE(Russ @ May 1 2010, 02:00 PM) View Post

It's a big dungeon, one of my bigger ones I've designed. I may have a playable demo in a month or two, depending on how long it takes for me to develop my overworld.

#12 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 02 May 2010 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ May 1 2010, 02:00 PM) View Post

Thanks Russ! BTW, what about the flag looks out of place?

#13 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:26 PM

JimmyB: A good, solid map that successfully contains the Wind Waker feel. As a map gameplay-wise, it fits perfectly, but feels more like a screen than a map.

Jupiter: A nicely put together and overall appealing map. If I were to play through it with LttP scrolling, I would quickly get bored, but with the original Zelda format, it would probably flow just fine. It feels awfully flat, though. If I were to give you a suggestion, I would say try less for realism and add in a cliff or two to spice up gameplay.

Sephiroth: Very nice map! It's good to see a dungeon map for a change. If only it were less fuzzy... As has been said before, every room seems to stand out on it's own. I especially like how you linked several miniature circular rooms together. I think it was that lava maze on F2 that finally hit home for me. *votes*

Yoshidude: A nice, basic map. I feel that some of the pink and blue trees contrast with the map's overall theme though.

#14 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:33 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ May 3 2010, 03:26 PM) View Post

Jupiter: A nicely put together and overall appealing map. If I were to play through it with LttP scrolling, I would quickly get bored, but with the original Zelda format, it would probably flow just fine. It feels awfully flat, though. If I were to give you a suggestion, I would say try less for realism and add in a cliff or two to spice up gameplay.

Don't you think it would be weird to have cliffs in the everglades? Plus it would really cause problems with how wet I want this to look...I guess it could be done, but, eh, it would just feel wrong to me.

BTW, I did not look at any photos for inspiration...but I guess I did error on the side of realism:

http://www.destinati...-everglades.jpg
http://photos.igougo..._Everglades.jpg

#15 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 03 May 2010 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE(Jupiter @ May 3 2010, 02:33 PM) View Post

Don't you think it would be weird to have cliffs in the everglades? Plus it would really cause problems with how wet I want this to look...I guess it could be done, but, eh, it would just feel wrong to me.

BTW, I did not look at any photos for inspiration...but I guess I did error on the side of realism:

http://www.destinati...-everglades.jpg
http://photos.igougo..._Everglades.jpg

I didn't literally mean cliffs. I meant having multilevel terrain. If it can be done with deserts, it can be done with everglades. You just gotta be creative. icon_wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users