ANNOUNCEMENT: 1st Map of the Month Special

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:12 AM

For some time now, I have been wanting to have a "special" Map of the Month, but I've always been set back when I realize that I would have to sacrifice one regular MotM, something I haven't been too keen on... today, however, I got the brilliant idea that I could just have two MotM's a month, if one of them wasn't the old regular MotM... now, don't ask me why I didn't think of that before, as it's a fairly obvious workaround, but I'm a little slow.

Anyways, the first Special MotM is to celebrate the fact that we now have gotten through 20 Map of the Months, even though so many people said it was doomed from the get-go. I'm not saying that MotM is never going to die, cause nothing lasts forever, but with your help and support, we have managed to get further than any of us thought we ever would... and that calls for celebration. Special Map of the Month 1's theme is simple: You submit a map. However, this time there's a twist. You can not submit one of your own maps, but instead you're gonna have to submit your favorite map from someone else. So let's say you really dig one of Radiens maps. What you do, is that you take it (if he has it uploaded, of course) and then you submit it to the dropbox under "Special MotM"... be sure to mark it with special. All maps without "Special" in the topic name will not be included by default. If you're not sure where to find a map you have seen before, feel free to ask the creator for a link. I personally would love it if people submitted maps from already released quests, but if you find a map in the MotM archive, or in the screenshot thread, you're free to submit that one too...

There's three main rules.
  • You can not submit your own maps.
  • You can submit any other map, as long as it's from a Zelda Classic quest.
  • Be SURE to include the name of the map creator.
Other than that, all normal MotM rules apply, unless they contradict the idea of Special MotM, such as the "only your own maps"-rule.

Special Map of the Month 1 is supposed to be up next week, but if there's not enough submissions, it will be set back a week. Are there any questions? *hopes he didn't forget anything important*

#2 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:26 AM

This sounds like a nice little bonus...just a thought for the future, it would be cool to do a "Map Rebirth" with this same concept...

#3 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:29 AM

This should be interesting

#4 cosmofield

cosmofield

Magical Girl

• Members

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:32 AM

What will happen if there's several maps getting the same number of votes?

#5 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE(Jupiter @ May 1 2010, 04:26 PM) View Post
This sounds like a nice little bonus...just a thought for the future, it would be cool to do a "Map Rebirth" with this same concept...
That would be a lot of work for the mapmakers, but I guess I'll put it down in my "book of ideas for Special MotM's of the future" or something icon_razz.gif

@cosmofield
What will happen if there's several maps getting the same number of votes?

The same that would happen if a normal MotM gets it. We will let it run for a few more days, but if it still doesn't add up, we will have a "finale" thread. Simple icon_razz.gif

#6 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:01 PM

Also, one should talk to the creator of the map first. So if I think "Hey, this map of Radien is very pretty!" than I first ask Radien wether he'd like me to "make it participate" in the special MotM. At least, I think we should talk to them first. Otherwise it's kinda... meh.

#7 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 01 May 2010 - 02:02 PM

Sounds pretty interesting. Now let me just go find a really good map...

#8 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE(Sheik @ May 1 2010, 07:01 PM) View Post
Also, one should talk to the creator of the map first. So if I think "Hey, this map of Radien is very pretty!" than I first ask Radien wether he'd like me to "make it participate" in the special MotM. At least, I think we should talk to them first. Otherwise it's kinda... meh.
It's a friendly gesture, I guess. I'm not gonna put it in the "rules", but I will encourage it.

#9 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:56 PM

What would happen if two people unintentionally submit the same map? I know the chances are very slim, but it could still happen.

#10 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 01 May 2010 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE(Moo2wo @ May 1 2010, 11:56 PM) View Post
What would happen if two people unintentionally submit the same map? I know the chances are very slim, but it could still happen.
If more people suggest a map, I will add their name to the "suggested by" line. :3

#11 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:45 PM

QUOTE(Migokalle @ May 1 2010, 11:12 AM) View Post

Be SURE to include the name of the map creator...

Where should we include the name? In the caption, or the topic title in the dropbox?

Edited by Moo2wo, 01 May 2010 - 09:46 PM.

#12 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 02 May 2010 - 03:52 AM

QUOTE(Moo2wo @ May 2 2010, 02:45 AM) View Post

Where should we include the name? In the caption, or the topic title in the dropbox?
In the topic. The topic title should be "Special MotM 1 Moo2wo", or at least indicate that it's a submission for the Special version. icon_wink.gif

#13 Joe123

Joe123

Retired

• Members

Posted 04 May 2010 - 04:06 AM

D'yu know what else'd be quite cool for a special map of the month?
If you did a 'Map Rebirth' kinda thing, but instead of re-making a classic shot you provided either an aerial photo or a real map to make in ZQuest.

#14 Evile

Evile

Dolphinslayer

• Members

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:30 PM

Then a bunch of people would have the same OW in their quest...

And making maps takes a lot of time, I know I wouldn't make a map just for a contest when I could be making a map for my quest. Just my 2 cents.

#15 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 04 May 2010 - 02:38 PM

QUOTE(Evile @ May 4 2010, 07:30 PM) View Post
Then a bunch of people would have the same OW in their quest...

And making maps takes a lot of time, I know I wouldn't make a map just for a contest when I could be making a map for my quest. Just my 2 cents.
What are you talking about? This content has nothing to do with making maps...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users