[2.53+] Workaround for MIDI bug proposal

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:44 PM

It's well known that when you click out of the window when listening to a midi in 2.53 everything turns to piano if you click back in. There's no good way to fix that because it's allegro's midi library at fault blahblahblah yeah that's been discussed before.

I'm here to propose a workaround to this issue that could be implemented as a QR. When the midi loops or a new midi plays after being pianofied, it fixes itself. My proposed fix is with a questrule if MIDI >0 is playing when ZC loses focus, when ZC resumes focus it'll store the position of the midi track (similar to loop coordinates), then replay the midi starting at that coordinate. I'd even accept starting over from scratch. Would something like this be feasible?

EDIT: Typos.

Edited by Evan20000, 06 November 2019 - 02:46 PM.

#2 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 06 November 2019 - 06:15 PM

What triggers this bug again? Isn't it only when you use CoolSofts midi soundtables?

#3 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 06 November 2019 - 07:03 PM

That's exactly what setting midi_patch_fix=1 does.
  • Evan20000 likes this

#4 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 06 November 2019 - 09:42 PM

Good to know. It's apparently 0 by default in the newer builds. :tard:

EDIT: Apparently it sets itself to 0 every time ZC closes.
EDIT2: Apparently ZQuest being open writes to ZC.cfg when ZC closes.

Edited by Evan20000, 06 November 2019 - 09:51 PM.

#5 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 07 November 2019 - 03:04 AM

Good to know. It's apparently 0 by default in the newer builds. :tard:

EDIT: Apparently it sets itself to 0 every time ZC closes.

Eh, wot? Give me a step-by-step procedure, please.

#6 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 07 November 2019 - 06:59 AM

That's exactly what setting midi_patch_fix=1 does.

What was the reason that those callbacks weren't always called (on win32), and that they check a setting?

It seems to me, that they can't harm anything if ZC uses them at all times.

#7 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 07 November 2019 - 10:07 AM

It was always enabled at first, but some people complained because it causes little glitches in the playback. Any held notes are cut off, and I seem to recall the volume being slightly off afterward. Most users don't have a problem in the first place, so there's no upside for them.

#8 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 07 November 2019 - 05:47 PM

It once took me ages to figure out why ZC would decline to remember my preferences. ZC + ZQuest opened at the same is not a happy couple.

• Evan20000 likes this

#9 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 08 November 2019 - 12:35 AM

Eh, wot? Give me a step-by-step procedure, please.

Open ZQuest with ZLaunch. Do things in zc.cfg. Open ZC with ZLaunch. Close ZC.

#10 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 08 November 2019 - 10:42 AM

It was always enabled at first, but some people complained because it causes little glitches in the playback. Any held notes are cut off, and I seem to recall the volume being slightly off afterward. Most users don't have a problem in the first place, so there's no upside for them.

Ah, so this is only for people who use alternative MIDI software, and doesn't affect the system default.

That'd explain why I have never experienced it.

Open ZQuest with ZLaunch. Do things in zc.cfg. Open ZC with ZLaunch. Close ZC.

I cannot reproduce this setting changing under those conditions. Are you using an outdated version of ZCL?

ZQuest has no access to zc.cfg. I could see this being a bug in ZCL, but I have repeatedly tried exactly what you posted here, and nothing overwrote the values that I changed in zc.cfg. I split up zc.cfg, and zquest.cfg specifically to prevent Allegro touching the values changed by the user from one, crossing to the other.

If it is still happening, using completely current software, then I cannot reproduce it, and it must be extremely specific to a set of actions that you are leaving out.

#11 Evan20000

Evan20000

P͏҉ę͟w͜� ̢͝!

• Members

Posted 08 November 2019 - 04:18 PM

I cannot reproduce this setting changing under those conditions. Are you using an outdated version of ZCL?

If it is still happening, using completely current software, then I cannot reproduce it, and it must be extremely specific to a set of actions that you are leaving out.

ZCL is the most recent one with the latest 2.53 download. If there's a newer one than that, I'm unaware of it.

I dunno what to tell ya for repro steps as that's basically my standard questdev setup procedure, but this is pretty consistent on my end and I know a few others consistently have this problem too.

#12 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 08 November 2019 - 05:45 PM

ZCL is the most recent one with the latest 2.53 download. If there's a newer one than that, I'm unaware of it.

I dunno what to tell ya for repro steps as that's basically my standard questdev setup procedure, but this is pretty consistent on my end and I know a few others consistently have this problem too.

The current version of ZCL is 2.8.0.

One thing that can occur, is that if you modify a value in zc.cfg while ZC is open, if that value is used internally as a variable, then ZC will often save the current value of that variable back to zc.cfg on programme exit. It does this for a lot of information, so, I can see that happening, but this has nothing to do with ZQuest, or with ZCL.

Simultaneously running multiple instances of ZC, can compound this issue.

The process for this is:

Open ZC, edit zc.cfg, close ZC.

Likewise, if you edit values in zquest.cfg while ZQ is open, it may overwrite them with the variables it has cached, when you close it.

The process for this is:

Open ZQ, edit zquest.cfg, close ZQ.

The reason this occurs is to permit the programmes to save any properties that you change using their UI. There is no valid way around that.

Opening or closing ZC Player should never affect zquest.cg.

Opening or closing ZQuest Editor should never affect zc.cfg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users