Wizzrobe's Big Day Out

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 sctmorgan

sctmorgan

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:53 AM

Okay I read the description and know it's going to be an intriguing quest.  I'm in The Crypt and can't get any further.  I have the candle, ocarina, wand and 2nd sword.  I did use the ocarina in several areas and found a heart container.  I don't have the bracelet or flippers.

What am I missing here?

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:10 AM

To get to the end of the crypt, you have to leave, walk around to the side, and bomb you way in.

While we're at it, the next dungeon requires you to use the wand to enter. Not wand magic. You have to hit it with the wand itself, which apparently counts as an ice weapon.

Suffice it to say I was less than thrilled with each of these decisions, moreso the latter.

#3 sctmorgan

sctmorgan

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 04 August 2019 - 08:45 AM

To get to the end of the crypt, you have to leave, walk around to the side, and bomb you way in.

While we're at it, the next dungeon requires you to use the wand to enter. Not wand magic. You have to hit it with the wand itself, which apparently counts as an ice weapon.

Suffice it to say I was less than thrilled with each of these decisions, moreso the latter.

Thank you Russ.  I made it to Wizzrobe's Academy.  Enemies are to tough for the equipment I have.

#4 AaronJer

AaronJer

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 04 August 2019 - 03:04 PM

I made it so you hit it with the wand and not the magic so you can't get stuck due to running out of magic. If I knew how to make it be both I would do that.

Wizzrobe Academy is the 8th level. It's *possible* to beat before even beating level 1, I have discovered, but not recommended to attempt unless you're insane.

#5 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 04 August 2019 - 04:15 PM

I made it so you hit it with the wand and not the magic so you can't get stuck due to running out of magic. If I knew how to make it be both I would do that.

One way you could do it would be to place the wand melee flag on layer 0 and the wand magic flag on layer 1. Either being struck would trigger secrets on the screen. Alternatively, you could have a magic refill tile nearby. I think either would be preferable; it wasn't very clear that the wand counted as ice magic, and it definitely wasn't clear that the ice needed to be melee'd with the wand.

#6 KenLaird

KenLaird

• Members

Posted 04 August 2019 - 05:23 PM

I've been all over level 2, even found the catacombs, which is apparently not the next dungeon judging by all the blue wizzrobes and darknuts, can't find the wand anywhere. Help?

Edited by KenLaird, 04 August 2019 - 05:23 PM.

• salvidienus likes this

#7 TheCutestCarnivore

TheCutestCarnivore

Initiate

• Members

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:41 PM

How do i get to the right half of the crypt level? i have gotten the big key and triforce piece from there, but i cant seem to find out how to get into the last 3 rooms i haven't visited at this point

#8 KenLaird

KenLaird

• Members

Posted 04 August 2019 - 07:05 PM

How do i get to the right half of the crypt level? i have gotten the big key and triforce piece from there, but i cant seem to find out how to get into the last 3 rooms i haven't visited at this point

When you're in the far right room, bomb the left wall. I think it works in either of the rooms. I feel like it might be related to the wand somehow, but I'm not sure how to move the graves.

I was wrong, it's only the left wall in the top right room that you can bomb.

Edited by KenLaird, 04 August 2019 - 07:11 PM.

#9 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:33 PM

Arbitrary and unmarked secrets are a really bad thing like Russ said with the entrance to the third level.  Simply because the quest is impossible if the player doesn't think to look for them.  However, Aaron was nice enough to leave the quest unpassworded so there should not be any complaints about getting stuck and secrets.  I finished the quest without asking for help because I looked at the quest file multiple times.

Here are my predictions on how well this quest will "sell".  I don't think any of this really matters, Aaron has made his dream quest pursuant to James's first and second laws of quest making.

The modern Nintendo Zelda player demographic (type A players):  Not any beautiful graphics.  Arbitrary and unmarked secrets but no quest password so it might be ok.  No puzzles.  Difficulty not quite to their liking (too hard).  Can't see it going down well.  Give it 3 months and compare it to recent quests that have gone down well with this demographic - Rite of the Storm or Yuurei and you'll see.

The challenge quest player demographic (type B players):  Quest too easy - instant strike out.

Bottom line, it will have some fanbase but not a lot.  Mainly players will be curious and this quest is intriguing when it first starts out.

• Matthew likes this

#10 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 04 August 2019 - 09:52 PM

Jesus christ James, are you seriously going to barge into any thread that isn't a challenge quest and bash it for having anything but straightforward combat? 

I enjoyed this quest for it's humor, and for having gameplay similar to another quest I liked (Neverending Fantasy). For either of these reasons alone, the quest will no doubt have it's fans, even if it isn't mainstream popular. 

EDIT: Also, I have to disagree, the quest looks really good. Just because it isn't in DoR tileset or something doesn't mean it doesn't look nice. I'd say he could probably win Map of the Month with the overworld alone.

Edited by Dimentio, 04 August 2019 - 10:30 PM.

• Russ, Shane, Matthew and 1 other like this

#11 AaronJer

AaronJer

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 05 August 2019 - 04:19 AM

I wouldn't worry about it too much. This is just something I made for fun, if you like it cool, if you don't, that's fine. The quest was designed to be fun for my friends to play, if anyone else can have fun playing, that's a nice bonus! I actually toned down the difficulty a loooooooooot, because I realized I had gotten better at the game by testing it, and it would be impossible for my filthy casual friends to beat it. :/

Anyway, The Crypt, Level 2. There is a staircase hidden under a fairly obviously marked grave in the very top left of the map. It leads to the last few rooms of the dungeon, where you can find the happy singing ghost.

The only thing I'd likely change about the quest if I worked on it more is add in a bunch more stupid cutscenes and secrets like the faerie fight. I had an awful lot more ridiculous faeries I was gonna add, but I had to stop making the quest *eventually*.

2cNZQlV.png

#12 salvidienus

salvidienus

• Members

Posted 05 August 2019 - 05:21 AM

As someone has previously asked. Where is the wand? I have finished the first two levels and can't find the wand anywhere.

Okay I read the description and know it's going to be an intriguing quest.  I'm in The Crypt and can't get any further.  I have the candle, ocarina, wand and 2nd sword.  I did use the ocarina in several areas and found a heart container.  I don't have the bracelet or flippers.

What am I missing here?

Hi. Could you please tell me where you found the wand? Thank you.

#13 AaronJer

AaronJer

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:59 PM

The wand is on top of the mountain at the starting screen, which can be scaled if you got the happy singing ghost.

#14 TheCutestCarnivore

TheCutestCarnivore

Initiate

• Members

Posted 06 August 2019 - 10:38 AM

So, i'm wondering.

In level 4 where is the compass?

and maybe the "arrows" too? i have the orb but not the arrow equivalent, and im not sure its even in the dungeon

#15 AaronJer

AaronJer

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 06 August 2019 - 05:35 PM

Level 4 is the Armos Depository. If you're particularly lost as to where to go, every secret room in the dungeon is indicated by the floor design in the room you pick up the map. (this is the case in most dungeons) In case you forgot which room had the map, it's 2 left and 1 up from the starting room. There are both secret and bomb walls in the dungeon. In dungeons where there is a floor design indicating the location of secret rooms, there are never secret rooms that are not indicated.

If you have the orb, you're pretty far along. The 'ice scroll' which goes with the orb is not in the dungeon, it's behind one of the super-bombable glowing rocks in the desert. If you used all your super bombs in a fit of rage and hubris, you can buy more in the grassy forest to the right of the desert.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users