Zelda Classic 2.50.2

• Please log in to reply
290 replies to this topic

#241 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

King of Pridenia, Safehaven of the LGBTQ

• Members

Posted 19 October 2016 - 08:55 AM

I had problems with throttled framerate on windows 10 and I was able to fix it by tweaking some of the settings at the bottom of ag.cfg

doublebuffer = 1
triplebuffer = 1
color_depth = 8
frame_rest_suggest = 1
force_exit = 0
debug_console = 0
zc_win_proc_fix = 0
use_dwm_flush = 0
midi_patch_fix = 0
save_indicator = 0

I forget which one specifically was causing it, but I think it was use_dwm_flush.

ZC still hates Windows 10, though, and I still sometimes get inconsistent/skippy framerate. I've pretty much accepted that I'll never get it to run as smoothly as it did on Windows 7. :(

I changed my settings to what you specified and it's buttery smooth now. Thanks Moosh, you're a freaking legend!

EDIT: Now I can't open Zquest through zlaunch-w. It says

"Failed to execute ./zquest-w.exe : 740.

Press OK to ignore and risk data corruption.

Press Cancel to kill the program."

So with the settings I have set to the above, I have to use zlaunch-w.exe to be able to play Zelda Classic and I have to use zquest-w.exe to launch ZQuest. Kind of weird, but I guess sacrifices have to be made for playability.

Edited by RedmageAdam, 19 October 2016 - 09:17 AM.

#242 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 19 October 2016 - 10:39 AM

Seems to be a security thing. Apparently, error 740 has something to do with admin privileges. Maybe ZQuest is set to run as administrator and the launcher isn't?

#243 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

• Members

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:38 AM

Ugh, the lag is back. Moosh's fix worked the first time, but afterwards, the lag came back. Zelda Classic is once again unplayable no matter what compatibility mode I set it to.

EDIT: This is my ag.cfg file:

Spoiler

EDIT: I don't know what I did, but it seems inconsistent. I don't know if re-changing the settings did anything, but sometimes when I launch the game, it runs fine and other times it runs like I'm trying to play GTA V on a crappy 2010 computer infected with viruses.

EDIT3: And it randomly starts running like dog crap for no reason. It doesn't matter what I do; it'll run fine then all of the sudden unplayable. Seriously, I have 16 gigs of RAM, a 2GB graphics card and I'm running a game that has very low requirements. What gives?

EDIT4: Other things I've tried-

-Changing priority

-Opening/closing other programs (only temporary fix)

Please tell me 2.50.3, if and when it comes out, is going to work with Windows 10. I can't play quests or work in ZQuest with these horrible framerates.

Edited by RedmageAdam, 19 October 2016 - 11:58 AM.

#244 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 19 October 2016 - 01:49 PM

You could try setting the disable_direct_updating setting to 0. It's enabled by default because it fixes issues with the screen not updating on some systems, but the documentation says it impacts performance, too.

I'm looking into upgrading Allegro for 2.50.3, but I have no idea if that will help, even assuming it works at all.

#245 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

• Members

Posted 19 October 2016 - 02:02 PM

So far, so good. I played my game for about 15 minutes and the framerate stayed 60 most of the time, occasionally going to 59 or 61. I did have an issue though where I had to CTRL + ALT + DEL to close out of the game after I quit, but otherwise, things seem okay. I'll update you if any other problems arise. I don't know if it had an impact or not, but I also had a recent graphical driver update earlier today.

#246 CSD

CSD

• Members

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:12 PM

I posted in the windows 10 ZC thread with the same problem of occasional horrible fps drops, since the anniversary update. So it seems like this is not an isolated issue, yeah. I'll try the fix above and let you know if the lag comes back, though it might be a while before I get around to playing ZC some more. (EDIT: Maybe it's bad luck but after changing that setting, for the first time since switching to Win 10, I had to end task ZC to get it to close. So sign of the lag yet, but I only played it for a few minutes.)

Edited by CSD, 24 October 2016 - 11:24 PM.

#247 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

• Members

Posted 31 October 2016 - 12:27 AM

Didn't work. Still getting unplayable lag, even with all of the settings set to what you specified. Also, I cannot close out of Zelda Classic anymore without Task Manager. How is a decent lower end gaming PC unable to play something like this at playable framerates? Seriously, I can get over 100 FPS on Minecraft, but this can't even run at 60 FPS?

EDIT: It's pure random whether or not it will run at a playable framerate. If it IS playable, it's usually after 2-3 minutes it starts to run like dog $&#@. No compatibility settings or changing priority in task manager matters. There is LITERALLY nothing I can do about it. I can't design quests and test them when they're unplayable >_<

EDIT2: I found a fix (let's hope), but it makes as much sense as me placing a burn flag on a water tile. When I was playing a 1080p video in the background (on YouTube), everything seemed to have stayed playable. That's a really screwed up workaround for an issue that shouldn't be happening; even the lowest spec modern computer should be able to run ZC without any problems. What next? Zelda Classic runs at 45-50 FPS unless I'm wearing fairy wings singing the National Anthem while doing a handstand with one of my hands in a bowl full of molasses and the other on a sheet of metal?

Edited by RedmageAdam, 31 October 2016 - 04:34 AM.

#248 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 31 October 2016 - 06:43 AM

That sounds like your video card drivers are failing to detect Zelda Classic as a graphically intense program and thus isn't kicking the video card out of power saving mode.

#249 KingPridenia

KingPridenia

• Members

Posted 31 October 2016 - 03:14 PM

That sounds like your video card drivers are failing to detect Zelda Classic as a graphically intense program and thus isn't kicking the video card out of power saving mode.

I know I'm kind of at a disadvantage having an AMD card, but when I opened my Radeon Settings and added zlaunch-w to it, I made one change to the program's options. I clicked on Frame Rate Target Control and turned it on and put it at 60 FPS. When I ran ZC for about 10-15 minutes, everything was fine. Place your bets how long before I either edit this post saying that I'm still having problems or make a new post continuing on about my inability to play it lol.

#250 CSD

CSD

• Members

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:08 PM

It seems strange to me that 'waking up the graphics card' is the solution. If I turn off the frame limiter I can get 200 FPS, but turn it back on and it's back to 45. So why does it sometimes give me 60, sometimes give me 45, with the frame limit on?

Edited by CSD, 01 November 2016 - 12:09 PM.

#251 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 01 November 2016 - 12:56 PM

Well the video card will produce video frames as fast as possible without the frame rate being capped, effectively placing a significant enough load on the video card for its drivers to wake it up which then allows it to perform even better and produce even better frame rates. At 60FPS, Zelda Classic causes the video card to basically do diddly squat, same with the CPU (which also has various power saving stuff) because the program simply isn't demanding.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 01 November 2016 - 12:57 PM.

#252 CSD

CSD

• Members

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:27 PM

So they must have changed something in the win 10 anniversary update to cause this...

Ought we report this as a ZC bug?

Edited by CSD, 01 November 2016 - 06:59 PM.

#253 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 02 November 2016 - 04:05 AM

If you have an Nvidia video card you can read my post at either of these forums and also watch the video to learn how to keep your video card running normally/properly disable all power saving functionality:

https://board.byuu.o...?p=22911#p22911

https://forums.gefor...e-power-saving/

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 02 November 2016 - 04:06 AM.

#254 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 09 November 2016 - 03:48 AM

I just got Windows 10 laptop--although a lot of the keys on the right-side of the keyboard don't work, but who uses stuff like arrows and enter anyways, right? ...yeah.

Anyhoo, I can probably take a look at those issues once I get around to installing gigabytes worth of c++ and development tools on it and get ZC set up on it first.

So what's the main problem here? Frame Rate/Vsync/General Graphics (Driver)/Compat. instability issues? Do you guys edit the config file/options first or is it generally crappy with the default settings?

#255 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 09 November 2016 - 05:02 AM

Some people experience one or more of the following:

1) The colours tend to be incorrect because the game presumably uses a 256 colour pelleted display mode and there are various Windows system components that will change the palette that the game is using, resulting in colour corruption in the game.

2) Rapid flickering of the display. (like a poor mans implementation of Black Frame Insertion technology)

3) The frame rate seems poor or inconsistent for some people.

4) While it was working perfectly fine for me, I decided to delete the ag.cfg file to test a default configuration. The program doesn't work with a blank or missing ag.cfg file, it seems to be failing to set a display mode. https://youtu.be/MQZYRr2IjeA

Maybe more stuff, I can't remember it all. I have the very latest Windows 10 x64 1607 updates installed.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 24 January 2017 - 10:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users