Photo

Help With South By Southrule

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 salvidienus

salvidienus

• Members

Posted 21 October 2018 - 10:49 AM

I am stuck in level 3 with two keys and no door to open, Where are these doors? I have tried to bomb and pass through every wall, Please help. I can't find a way to the rooms in the northeast corner of the map. 

Edited by salvidienus, 21 October 2018 - 10:50 AM.

#32 Flynn

Flynn

ZC Fan

• Members

Posted 24 October 2018 - 10:31 PM

There is a locked door two rooms north of the Dodongo room:

Spoiler

Another locked door:

Spoiler

• salvidienus likes this

#33 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 31 December 2018 - 05:29 AM

Just finished this quest and I like it quite a lot.  I can see that you've spent quite a bit of time balancing to cater to your particular difficulty preferences and there's a consistent and lovely feel to it.  A little on the easy side for my tastes but certainly no cakewalk and no easy pushover.  But this quest is about you and the difficulty that you enjoy and I can hardly fault anyone for that.  Just a couple of things I found odd about the quest though:

1) No maze path hints were ever given that I know of.

2) The quest password "Pancakes" given when the player has almost finished the quest doesn't work.

3) You don't need to spend all the keys in order to finish dungeons.  In level 8, the key between the start and the tribute room is purely optional for example.

4) A nice map for level 9 would be really nice - its a big place and easy to get lost.  I needed to use pen and paper and draw my own map to get around.

But on the whole the quest was very entertaining - thanks for it.

• Flynn likes this

#34 Flynn

Flynn

ZC Fan

• Members

Posted 31 December 2018 - 09:11 PM

You're welcome, James. Thanks for the feedback. To address your points:

1) The clue for the NW maze is in

Spoiler
and the clue for the forest maze is in Level 2.

2) The Pancakes clue is kind of a fudge, it was really

Spoiler

3) True you don't have to have that key, but if you do it shortens up your trip on return visits or if you don't have the cash, you can exit. I'm like you though, I don't like having a bunch of extra keys, or even being able to buy one, although I did put in a very hard to find key shop just in case I messed up, or someone was pretty desperate.

4) I was hoping the average player would have to use pen and paper for many of the dungeons. That's how I used to play the original to keep track of where I'd tried bombing and what stairs led to what. Kudos to you for not needing to till the end. There is a map to be found in L9, it just doesn't show every room. It's

Spoiler

Thanks again for your analysis. It was my first quest and finally hearing that someone finished it is sure encouraging in starting another.

#35 James24

James24

Adept

• Banned

Posted 31 December 2018 - 10:18 PM

I must have missed the clues then - oh well.  I think the reward for getting past the maze was a Heart Container only so no big deal.  But if it was a mandatory dungeon then I'd be stuck.

The Pancakes password was very misleading then.  Ultimately, I think it is unnecessary since its highly unlikely that anyone would use fire on the frozen lake without a huge hint and even if they found it by accident that gauntlet to get the ring is one of the biggest challenges in the game - certainly couldn't be done at an early or mid-game stage even by very good players.

There are ways to make the quest such that if the player has visited a certain spot then they open up a permanent shortcut.  Easy script would do the trick - otherwise you can just use dungeon boss or "permanent secrets" on that screen.

I personally don't like having to use pen and paper - it slows down the game and it just isn't as fun and fast.  Also having to test every wall with a bomb just doesn't taste nice.  I know that Nintendo did that in their original Zelda 1, but I think Nintendo later realized that it was a mistake and they never repeated it in any of their future Zelda quests as far as I know.  They also got rid of obscure and arbitrary secrets like level 8's entrance in the second quest.  But hey - if pen and paper is what you enjoy then go for it - after all when you make a quest it should be about your tastes and what you enjoy and not what everyone else enjoys.

I would also advise that you should write quests for your own enjoyment and not anyone else's - certainly helps motivation.  If you like hard quests then check out Armageddon Quest or my own Liberation of Hyrule: Insanity's Extreme.  Be warned though - the monsters really bite.  You'll also see how different it is to play without secrets everywhere - you might enjoy it.

• Flynn likes this

#36 RedHouse

RedHouse

white town

• Members

Posted 21 July 2019 - 06:44 PM

In the room of the red ring, I couldn't get the ring after killing all blue wizzrobes.

Sorry. I could get it.

And I finished this quest. This wonderful quest has only zelda1 items and tricks, but very enjoyable and give me pretty new feeling.

Thank you very much, Flynn the author!

Edited by RedHouse, 25 July 2019 - 05:47 AM.

• Flynn likes this

#37 CJ7

CJ7

• Members

Posted 09 March 2021 - 02:05 PM

I am in the middle of level 3.  I have the flute, but every time I play it the screen freezes and I have to restart the game.  Suggestions?

#38 Flynn

Flynn

ZC Fan

• Members

Posted 10 March 2021 - 02:37 AM

Yikes! Never heard of this problem. I hope someone here knows the answer. What version zc?

#39 CJ7

CJ7

• Members

Posted 10 March 2021 - 09:24 AM

Yikes! Never heard of this problem. I hope someone here knows the answer. What version zc?

Its 2.53.1 (beta 54 build 33)

EDIT:  Well, the good news is that after I reset my system it is working properly again.  the bad news is that I still am missing a key in level 3.  Oh well.

Edited by CJ7, 10 March 2021 - 09:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users