Photo

Which continue hearts is better?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: Which continue hearts is better?

Which continue hearts is better?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kite

Kite

• Members

Posted 20 December 2004 - 04:38 PM

Which method of continue hearts do you think is the best to use?

I am mainly curious since I'm trying to determine which would be best for me to use.

#2 Banedon

Banedon

Adept

• Members

Posted 20 December 2004 - 05:05 PM

I like continuing with full hearts, which I see on a LOT of quests...

That's one thing I really didn't like about the original game (and most Zelda games made by Nintendo)...you start with something like 3 hearts full out of 16 when you reach the later stages of the game...

#3 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 20 December 2004 - 05:05 PM

Personally, as a designer, I don't like the idea of continuing with full hearts. It gives an incentive to quit and then continue. I don't think this should be a part of the gameplay. And since doing so causes continue bugs more often than actually dying, there's a glitchy side to it, too.

#4 Hergiswi

Hergiswi

don't look for me, i'm just a story you've been told

• Members

Posted 20 December 2004 - 05:21 PM

If the option was available, I would like to use a % when you get to a certain number of hearts, and start with full before that.

Of course, I'm in reality, and I'd vote full hearts. I agree with Radien, but I find it easiest to make use of. Maybe it's just me.

#5 plith

plith

I've been thinking.

• Members

Posted 20 December 2004 - 07:01 PM

Go percentages. Full is more likely to make people take advantage of it, but starting with just 3-5 hearts forces people to go searching for a fairy every time they restart.

#6 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 20 December 2004 - 07:17 PM

Percentages. Having a set number of hearts is aggravating, and the Quit -> Continue method gives players an incentive to kind of "cheat", if that bothers you.

I normally use percentages in most of my quests. icon_biggrin.gif

#7 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 20 December 2004 - 09:57 PM

Continue with x% hearts. This seems to me as the most fair one, and you don't get stuck with a small amount of life. Full hearst to me, seems unfair, as people could easily cheat...

#8 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:45 AM

Well I was going to put full hearts in the Hero of Dreams, however, after reading these comments, I never really thought of people restarting it. I am going to have to decide and vote later.

#9 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 21 December 2004 - 06:50 AM

Well then... now that we've got the opinions of a good number of people, may I ask another question of you all?

For those of you who prefer X%, what percentage do you like to set it at? icon_smile.gif

I will most likely go with 50% or so, but that decision will come late in my current quest's development.

#10 plith

plith

I've been thinking.

• Members

Posted 21 December 2004 - 08:57 AM

Probably just depends on how easy or hard you want the quest to be. 75% should be the absolute max, and even that is pushing it, since it's a cheap way to get your hearts close to full if you're dying. 50% is probably best, since it doesn't really reward anyone too much for restarting, nor does it punish them too much if they last left the game at full health.

To be fair, I like using Quit->Continue as a sort of unofficial Farore's Wind. Helps me get back to the start of an area quicker. If you restart at 50% all the time, and assuming the player has a fairly even distribution of how often he has whatever percentage of hearts, the end result should be nothing gained or lost.

Or you could do 25% or 10% if you want to make it a hard quest.

#11 IaN

IaN

Warrior

• Members

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:18 AM

I'm gonna have to go with percentage.

#12 4matsy

4matsy

SHE WILL WAKE ONLY WITH THE POWER OF NO. 3 CHEESEFORCE

• Members

Posted 21 December 2004 - 02:20 PM

Yeah, ditto with 50%. It's neither too much nor too little.

Only problem is that it rounds down to the nearest whole heart, so if you have 3 containers you're only going to restart with 1 filled up...icon_heh.gif

#13 Highsight

Highsight

Jake Wins

• Members

Posted 21 December 2004 - 03:55 PM

I do 70% hearts.

#14 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 21 December 2004 - 06:04 PM

I am leaning towards precentage, but I think only x number of hearts is also acceptable.

#15 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 21 December 2004 - 07:10 PM

I used to keep the percentage at 100%, but now, I think a healthy 90% will do. It makes the player take a few moments to look for health pieces, or bear the consequences in an otherwise merciless dungeon. I don't fill my dungeons with enemies. I use combo-cycling traps or puzzles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users