Photo

About making tiles

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 DarkLink805

DarkLink805

• Members

Posted 13 November 2004 - 07:32 PM

Ok, some of you don't get what I mean on the topic title. Well I'm trying to say what's the best size for making a tile? like I wanna make my own. Example like the picture in OoT, you know in the forest temple you aim the picture to attack the ghost? I wanna make something like that. What's the good size to make for a tile? Hope someone understand what I'm saying icon_sweat.gif

#2 Exate

Exate

Deified

• Members

Posted 13 November 2004 - 08:57 PM

For one of those portraits like in OoT's temple, probably 2x2 tiles or just one. icon_smile.gif

#3 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 13 November 2004 - 10:00 PM

tiles are 16 x 16 pixel squates, but you can make multiple tiles to make something of that size, if you need to. I actually think 16x24 (1x1.5) pixel tiles would work good

#4 Mad Dog

Mad Dog

Hooya!!!

• Members

Posted 13 November 2004 - 10:19 PM

If I can brush up on my art skills, I'm thinking of linking a bunch of tiles together for a large portrait for cutscenes. I'll really need to learn how to draw, or mooch off someone who can... icon_lol.gif

#5 DarkLink805

DarkLink805

• Members

Posted 14 November 2004 - 12:47 PM

Can I make a tile in MS paint or Adobe? and import them in ZC? If so, what format should it be to import it? icon_sigh.gif

#6 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 14 November 2004 - 01:07 PM

I'd reccommend MSPaint. it seems easier to me. it should also be a 256 (at least 16) color bitmap, or a gif

#7 LinktheMaster

LinktheMaster

Hey Listen, Kid

• Members

Posted 15 November 2004 - 04:03 PM

Yes, you can import them from a bmp, but you must release that it wouldn't fit into the palette, unless you make it work in the palette. icon_wink.gif

#8 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 18 November 2004 - 02:23 AM

Remember that color 0 in ZQuest is the transparency. So in reality you only get 15 colors, unless you intend to only use it on layer 0 (in which case the transparency color will actually show).

Also, the transparency color needs to be the first color in the color index. Remember that, too. Of course, it sounds like you're only making a small number of tiles, so you can always recolor in once you rip it. It probably won't take long.

#9 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 18 November 2004 - 11:45 AM

... Er... I'm not entirely sure of what you're about to do, Radien. It sounds extremely risky. From my interpretation of the goings-on of the thread, it sounds to me like you'll be replacing all of the black borders of terrain with the transparent color. I assume you'll only be doing this to non-sprites?

And for the use of trees, for example, you'll place a copy of the terrain tree (Totally walkable) on the ground, as its own combo, then layer over it an identical, yet background transparent copy of that tree, layering it on top. The Layer 0 combo will have the black outline in the form of the transparent color, and the layered will do the rest of the work, despite having no black border whatsoever, because it's on a layer. ... Is that what you're trying to do?

To avoid a color issue like this, I would just use Cset 9 for any extra colors I'd happen to need. I mean, the majority of those colors goes to both Slashed Leaves, and Ripples. The rest goes to those enemies that use Cset 9 for their colors. However, if you're not using any of those enemies, you can assumably use the rest of the unused colors for extra colors that you can possibly layer on to the terrain that you're using. In theory, this could actually work. icon_shrug.gif .. Albeit in a rather tedius fashion.

#10 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 18 November 2004 - 04:10 PM

Well, yeah Josh, you got what I was originally intended. But firstly, I've given up on that idea, and secondly, I suspect you're posting in the wrong thread. icon_blink.gif Here, I was only vaguely referencing what I was considering doing in my other thread.

But yes, using the transparency color for drawing is something you can only do with combos... not sprites.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users