X-Men

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Thunderfist

Thunderfist

Recipient of Ways

• Banned

Posted 20 July 2018 - 07:17 AM

I like X-Men characters but their games typically suck, and I like the gameplay style of Zelda but the characters are basically boring. So. Now I'm making my own game, where you can change characters in shops while equipping powers as items. I've created tiles for about the first ten characters, I've created power items that are far from done, I've created a very basic rough draft of a small portion of map, and I plan on including about 50 playable X-Men, and about as many villains who are likely to become playable in a 2nd quest. I don't need to hear from purists saying that chocolate and vanilla should never go together, or that every fan-game has to act like a sequel in nearly every way to the original content. There was a game missing from my library that I wanted to play. It didn't exist, so I'm making it. Shower me with praise.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Edited by Thunderfist, 20 July 2018 - 07:21 AM.

#2 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:43 AM

Not to try and discourage you, but ZC has some strange bugs with the Link Tile Modifiers, so I'm not sure that many characters would be possible.

• Thunderfist likes this

#3 klop422

klop422

Guess I'm full of monsters and treasure

• Members

Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:01 AM

50 is a lot. Not a discouragement, just saying. You'll need to make every (at least most) character(s) as useful as each other (or at least give the player a reason to play as each of them; a much cooler clone of an early game character is still cool, though some people may disagree). Otherwise you fall into having a game with a bunch of extra pointless stuff tacked on.

Also, none of us (maybe most of us here) really care about purism in ZC. We've got a number on non-Zelda quests on the site - we just make Zelda games most often because that's what the program was originally intended for, and so there are the most assets for that. I'd love to see an X-men quest, though I can't say I'm too familiar (having only watched the first three movies and the end of one of the prequels).

• Binx likes this

#4 Ryunaker

Ryunaker

Junior

• Members

Posted 20 July 2018 - 11:31 PM

Not to try and discourage you, but ZC has some strange bugs with the Link Tile Modifiers, so I'm not sure that many characters would be possible.

*points to Yuurand*  It's definitely possible to have over 40, though I do not know how far it can be pushed.  However, TC, I do agree that you may want to be careful about too many 'clone characters'; don't have new faces just to have new faces, give them stories, or something to give them purpose...something Yuurei/Yuurand did quite well.  I would enjoy trying your game, though, once it is complete, either way.

• Russ likes this

#5 Thunderfist

Thunderfist

Recipient of Ways

• Banned

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:46 AM

I've found ways around the bugs I've encountered, not assigning LTM's to shields or swords, and setting Link sprites to appropriate positions to allow LTM's to work appropriately. No issues I haven't been able to work around, yet.

Each character is one from X-Men media that fans will delight in playing as simply because they're established characters, with increasing weapon strength and necessary special abilities as the game progresses. Further, the nature of my stores' set-up allows players to select a character to play as and up to two additional abilities from even other characters, not including the as of now permanent Roc's feather that so far seems necessary for proper hover boots functionality but doesn't seem to be automatically obtained through the "automatically collect lower level items" feature upon pickup.

None of the characters are clones in appearance, I've been making each sprite manually and each distinct, while the characters' abilities in each set are distinct in capabilities' nature and/or strengths. No X-Men character is an unnecessary thing tacked on, each is a desirable character to obtain access to as a fan, which additionally allows the capacity for collector players to attempt to find them all.

Their stories are already written, their identities established in comics and various X-Men media.

You may click on the link for a preview of the first ten playable charactersb to see how necessary abilities of certain characters are progressed through, the player being trapped in the beginning until joining with Jean Grey to telekinetically jump small obstacles, and further trapped until Iceman is equipped to use his ice slide hover boots to jump larger obstacles, while characters such as Cyclops and Wolverine are especially useful in initial fights with roaming enemies. An endeavor of this magnitude certainly takes a sufficient degree of effort, but I see no reason at this point that it can't be done.

#6 Jamian

Jamian

ZC enthusiast

• Members

Posted 21 July 2018 - 09:51 AM

*points to Yuurand*  It's definitely possible to have over 40, though I do not know how far it can be pushed.  

If you script it, you can have as many as you can think of.

#7 Thunderfist

Thunderfist

Recipient of Ways

• Banned

Posted 21 July 2018 - 01:39 PM

I'm trying to see how much I can do without having to learn scripting. Everything I've done I've taught myself in the last month, going so far as to create a step by step cheat sheet of how to do every kind of task so I can just search the term in a single text document.
  • Russ likes this

#8 Binx

Binx

Formerly Lineas

• Members

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:15 PM

If you script it, you can have as many as you can think of.

I'd guess that's how Yuurand handled it. Cuz, I'm hitting that issue right now with more than 8 tile pages using LTMs. It glitches out on certain animations.

#9 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 21 July 2018 - 02:29 PM

I'd guess that's how Yuurand handled it. Cuz, I'm hitting that issue right now with more than 8 tile pages using LTMs. It glitches out on certain animations.

Actually, while the unique spells and passive abilities are scripted, the sprites are handled with simple LTMs. Really big LTMs. There are other ways to do it though; Forbidden Ascent, as an example, uses copytile to copy the appropriate character and outfit sprite over the default sprites. This isn't really necessary if you're just using base features, but if you have a lot of scripted animations that are set to use particular sprites, or you want a sprite in cutscene to change, it really helps.

Anyways, as people have said, 50 characters is certainly doable, albeit a whole lot of work. Your example video shows off a basic degree of competency, so I think you can definitely pull it off, assuming you put in the time. My suggestion would be to not have lengthy conversations in shops that you need to revisit, however. It would be better to learn the various tricks to make one-time scenes so that the player doesn't have to keep scrolling through the same dialogue.

#10 Thunderfist

Thunderfist

Recipient of Ways

• Banned

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:11 PM

What animations? I didn't come across the issue with the ten basic characters shown using normal movement, jump, and fight animations, and I have about 30 more qqcharacters' graphics already halfway done.

Thank you for the compliment. I'm not sure how to avoid the lengthy conversations. I know I can add a third line of text to the message strings and that should help... Maybe use a basic informational guy in a cave on the starting screen to give all the major instructions? Unfortunately a lot of info has to be given to explain the use of phone booths, equipping weapons as characters, etc. Do you have a link you can easily post to detail how to make a one-time screen? That would really help.
*Scene

#11 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 23 July 2018 - 02:33 PM

The easiest way to do that would be to use Screen State Carryovers. What they do is say that, when secrets are triggered on one screen, they're also triggered on another. You set them from a tab in Screen Data (F9). So what you could do is have a screen with a cave that leads you to a shop. Have the dialogue there. Have secrets activate on that screen by doing something like having step->Secret combos that look like floor tiles. Have the screen state carryover change the cave combo to a Cave (B) combo. Have tile warp B take you to an identical shop without the lengthy dialogue. That way, the dialogue only plays the first time you enter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users