Photo

16x16 Minish Cap Link sprites (and NPCs eventually)

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:27 PM

Oh, no! Where'd the bottom of his shoes go?! *pet peeve #56873980.  Looks bizarre to me when pieces of outlines disappear in animations. Sorry, I liked the pre-Koh version better, but of course you can't please everyone ...

I don't like that either. It makes it look awkward. It's because Koh wanted Link to "bounce" as he walks/runs.

Maybe a BS version, a sprite-hop Z3, and a non-hop Z3 versions can me made? (If that makes sense. It does in my head.)

#32 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:02 PM

But the southern direction already lacked outlines at the bottom of the feet?  Thinking about consistency and the need for a "bounce" in the walking animation, I made it match up.  Without it, Link walks like in Owl in perfect equilibrium.  Now, you COULD sidestep all that if you don't want the Owl-librium, and extend Link's sprite to be 2 tiles tall (in ZC's mind), to use those extra pixels for a bounce...but it'd consume more tiles than necessary.  

#33 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:05 PM

The southern ones lacked the bottom outlines on every frame, whereas yours have it on some, but then it disappears in others. That disappearing and reappearing is what is really distracting. Though, again ... I think I'm in the minority.

Edited by Aevin, 02 June 2013 - 03:33 PM.

#34 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 01:27 AM

But the southern direction already lacked outlines at the bottom of the feet?  Thinking about consistency and the need for a "bounce" in the walking animation, I made it match up.  Without it, Link walks like in Owl in perfect equilibrium.  Now, you COULD sidestep all that if you don't want the Owl-librium, and extend Link's sprite to be 2 tiles tall (in ZC's mind), to use those extra pixels for a bounce...but it'd consume more tiles than necessary.  

If I was going to make the tiles 2 tall then I would just use the original MC sprites, so I think I'll stick with the 16x16.

The southern ones lacked the bottom outlines on every frame, whereas yours have it on some, but then it disappears in others. That disappearing and reappearing is what is really distracting. Though, again ... I think I'm in the minority.

Yeah I might edit them so they have no bottom outline on the feet in any of the frames, and see how that looks.

#35 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:22 PM

Well, I really don't see why Link can't be extended to 16x32, and only the top (black) pixel getting to the top part. Just something to think about.

#36 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:32 PM

Well, I really don't see why Link can't be extended to 16x32, and only the top (black) pixel getting to the top part. Just something to think about.

Because of all the extra tilespace it consumes for a mere 1 row of pixels....is that really what you want him to do?

Edited by Koh, 03 June 2013 - 08:32 PM.

#37 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

Because, suddenly Link will have a hitbox that's twice as tall as he is. That's just broken. :P

Also, since I haven't commented in this thread before (thought I had...), these look great! Amazing work Jimmy, and your Z3 style edits are really good Koh. I really like the kinda bouncy effect you have going on. Basically, great job, both of you.

#38 grayswandir

grayswandir

semi-genius

• ZC Developers

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:02 AM

Because of all the extra tilespace it consumes for a mere 1 row of pixels....is that really what you want him to do?

What, you're running low on tiles now? 

• Jared likes this

#39 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 04 June 2013 - 04:23 AM

It's not about running low on tiles ... It's about the size of the character being consistent with the rest of the world, and not lazily wasting space and making the whole set sloppy and difficult to use.  He's designing this set as a 16x16 Link, and it would undermine his whole project to switch it to a larger size. I really think there's a way to make it look nice while still fitting in the 16x16 space; perhaps removing the dark line beneath all the shoes and using a darker red to more clearly define a bottom to the sprite? In any case, I think my complaint earlier sounded too harsh. Koh's animation looks really nice, and the bounce effect on everything looks wonderful. But the outline issue does bug me, as it defines a sprite space visible to the player, and parts of Link's body seem to phase out of existence when they go outside it.

#40 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:15 AM

I don't mean to harp, but has any progress been made? I really want to use these.

#41 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

Me, too. They were looking so nice so far!

#42 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

Hopefully I will have it done by the end of the month. I'm a very slow spriter!

#43 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:45 PM

Sorry to necropost here, but have these been worked on? Just curious :)

• Bourkification likes this

#44 Chris

Chris

The Sun Is in Your Hand!

• Members

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:23 AM

Just found out about them through the Firebird Tileset and want to leave a note that the pictures are gone. Though what I have seen in Firebird pics looked really nice.

• Bourkification likes this

#45 Bourkification

Bourkification

Magus

• Members

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:45 AM

This is the furthest I got with the sprites. I'd recommend using them is conjunction with Warlock's FS Link found in the Database, as well as my own rolling/slashing/falling tiles in the Database, to fill the remaining missing sprites.

https://www.dropbox.... 16x16.png?dl=0

Edited by Bourkification, 28 May 2018 - 11:46 AM.

• Aevin, Chris and Evil Papagali like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users