Photo

Screenshot of the Week 329

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
60 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (60 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#31 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

QUOTE(Sheik91 @ Jul 18 2011, 04:01 PM) View Post

Yoshi, you nailed it. And I usually hate transparent overhangs in GB. But you make it look so good. I'm impressed!
Thanks Shiek91! That is very inspirational.

#32 Soarin

Soarin

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 18 July 2011 - 04:56 PM

It is a tie between Keiichi123 and Pabru They are both pretty good.
Pabru That shot is dark and evil looking.
Keiichi123 Your shot is good, Nice job on the house tiles love it.
:0

Edited by Rudolph043, 18 July 2011 - 04:57 PM.

#33 Aslion

Aslion

End Fascism

• Members

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:41 PM

aaa2
DEAR GOD what is this
EVERYTHING is the wrong color
even if the colors weren't that bad it's still extremely bland and straight and random and this is probably beyond repair ewffrgeffff 0/10

DigiPro31279
Too square and there's absolutely nothing special about it. There's like no detail at all. 1/10

Lightwulf
It's alright. The black outlines look weird. Other than that it's an acceptable shot but it's nothing too fantastic. 5/10

Pabru
It's toooo squareeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 2/10

Yoshidude
icon_eek.gif
It's not bad!
The transparency looks bad because it's GB, and you have some trees lined up directly behind each other. There's some useless clutter up on the mountain, too. Also you didn't transition that shallow water at all. Other than that good job. 7/10

Cukeman
This is the only shot here I haven't seen A BILLION TIMES BEFORE and I love you and I voted for you and keep on being original and maybe ZC will un-die 9/10vote

Jared
I can't even see it.
Like I'm not going to strain my eyes just to look at your shot.
No rating.

Keiichi123
Why i the brush hanging off the mountain? That looks horrible. It kills the whole shot. The palette looks bad for the area too. 7/10

linktopower
Those sure are sidescrolling graphics. Graphics =/= good screendesign.
As for the screen, it's some blocks and some pillars and it looks like no thought whatsoever went into it. 1/10

#34 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE(Lithium @ Jul 18 2011, 06:41 PM) View Post

Jared
I can't even see it.
Like I'm not going to strain my eyes just to look at your shot.
No rating.

That's like, really rude.
IT'S NOT EVEN THAT DARK.

#35 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:16 PM

QUOTE(Jared @ Jul 18 2011, 06:12 PM) View Post

IT'S NOT EVEN THAT DARK.

I not trying to say anything bad but maybe it's hard to see on a lcd screen
because i have to look pretty close icon_glare.gif the screen to make it out
i have a lcd maybe thats the cause?

linktopower-''Lithium''
Those sure are sidescrolling graphics. Graphics =/= good screendesign.
As for the screen, it's some blocks and some pillars and it looks like no thought whatsoever went into it. 1/10

thats harsh... icon_frown.gif I tried my best ....

Edited by linktopower, 18 July 2011 - 08:22 PM.

#36 William

William

Banditos

• Members

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE(Jared @ Jul 18 2011, 05:12 PM) View Post

Well, however rude it may be, I'm in agreement with Lithium. I can't make out your screen at all, and therefore I'm not voting for it.

Anyway, I went with Cukeman. Pretty solid shot, and quite different. I really like it, actually. The rest of the shots (with the exception of Yoshidude's and Link's), were pretty bad. Nothing special or all that pleasant about any of them. I like Cremeens, but the brush hanging over the edge killed it. Digi's and aaa2's are just plain gross, and Lightwulf's and Pabru's shots I've seen a hundred times (there's nothing completely wrongabout them). I can't even see Lynker's, but from what I can see it doesn't look too special. Linktopower's is fine, and gets third in my book.

Cukeman > Yoshidude > Linktopower > Cremeens > Pabru > Lightwulf > aaa2 > Digi

I'm not going to rank Lynker's, since I can't really see it. From what I can see, I'd probably rank it somewhere between Cremeens' and Pabru's.

#37 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:34 AM

aaa2
Nnnnnonononononono. Please, learn to use palettes. And remember that CSets 2, 3, 4, and sometimes 5 are the ones that can be used for overworld and dungeon combos (a.k.a. "room tiles"). Do NOT use CSets 0, 1, and 6-11 for that.

DigiPro31279
There are no design errors, but this screen is far too dull. icon_frown.gif At the very least, these cave hallways needs some torches. At best, they need far more than that.
Okay, scratch that, there's one design error: the item window subscreen frames are not designed for that CSet.

Lightwulf
Looks all right for Classic, but the screen feels just a little bit cramped. For starters, I'd move the pound combo down three squares.

Pabru
The tiles are a unexciting, and that throne looks a little too close to the center of the room IF this is where a boss fight is going to take place. But otherwise this is pretty decently designed. Not sure about those walls in that palette, though.

Yoshidude
Not bad! Not bad at all! icon_smile.gif Ummm, I'm not sure what else to say here. It's just simple, well-done GBC. The canopy shadows add a lot in this case.

Cukeman
I realize you're going for an Escher-esque thing here, but instead it just looks generally wrong. icon_confused.gif It would take more complex graphics than that to really achieve the look you want. I've seen the Escher thing done in a game before -- Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin, I think -- but it's a LOT harder to make it work in a 3/4s overhead perspective like most Zelda games use.

Jared
Overall, this is generally a well-designed screen (I think), but at this size, against a light background, it's nearly impossible to make out the details, meaning it's not the greatest choice for a screenshot. The reason I say "I think" is because I can't make out all the details even when I get up close and squint. So: screen design gets roughly an A, but choice of screen to display gets a C.

Keiichi123
Ahhh, very nice use of DoR. icon_smile.gif Creative use of walkable space to make the visible areas feel natural. Also, it's rare and nice to see LTTP mountains being used WITH those "treetops in the distance" tiles.
There's just one problem: in the upper-center, where two mountain ridges meet, there are some incorrect tiles used. In order to make it work correctly you will need to make use of layer 1. Aside from that, some very nice adaptation of DoR tiles to suit your specific purpose for this screen.

linktopower
Hmmm, a basic Zelda 2/Classic hybrid side-view screen. It's okay, but I find that you're mostly just imitating a basic Zelda 2 screen. You might want to take care in remembering that some Zelda 2 tiles will look too big next to Classic sprites. That dog-head statue sorta dwarfs Link.

Okay, all told, it came down to Yoshidude, Jared, and Keiichi. Keiichi had that mountain tile error, but I felt it was a smaller problem than the extreme darkness of Jared's screen. Yoshidude basically didn't do anything wrong; the only difference is that it's easier to build screens in GBC than DoR.

So I ask myself, "which screen makes me want to play that quest more?" And the answer is Yoshidude's. It looks vibrant, interesting, expansive, and has stuff going on. icon_smile.gif So he gets my vote.

P.S. -

QUOTE(Yoshidude @ Jul 18 2011, 12:33 AM) View Post
Believe me, I would have put a river transition, but GB doesn't have the tiles for that, (Unless somebody could give/make some custom ones for me icon_wink.gif )

That doesn't sound very hard. I did that for BS water and Sun Tower ocean surf. If you show me an image file with the tiles you want transitioned (or some other type of example first if you prefer), I might be able to help you there.

#38 judasrising

judasrising

I play guitar

• Members

Posted 19 July 2011 - 06:58 AM

icon_smile.gif

Jared got my vote like the dark feeling it`s not to dark.

#39 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:02 AM

Thank you Radien! That means so much when coming from the creator of the tileset! I feel really inspired now! But yeah, I will make sure the mistakes I made in that shot won't appear in my game icon_wink.gif

#40 Taco Chopper

Taco Chopper

protector of the darn forum

• Administrators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:13 PM

I voted a few days ago and I'm not entirely sure whether I voted for Yoshidude or Cukeman. Either way, they're my two favourite shots here. Both are Gameboy shots, and one is an effective and powerful use of the set, while the other one is just completely scattershot art. If there was ever such a thing as abstract ZC, Cukeman's shot would be the definition.

QUOTE(Jared @ Jul 19 2011, 08:42 AM) View Post

IT'S NOT EVEN THAT DARK.

To be fair I did have to strain my eyes just to see some of the detail... it'd be good in-quest, but for a SotW entry... maybe not. icon_shrug.gif

#41 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:35 PM

It's probably your computer. Like I said, when I look at it on my Desk Top, I can't see anything. But when I do it on my Lap Top, I can see it just fine.

#42 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE(Jared @ Jul 19 2011, 01:12 AM) View Post

IT'S NOT EVEN THAT DARK.

Let that guy be, he is just a troll looking for some laughs.

#43 Jenny

Jenny

Hero of Time

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 19 July 2011 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE(Twilight_Knight @ Jul 19 2011, 04:42 PM) View Post

Let that guy be, he is just a troll looking for some laughs.
No he is not, he just can't see the screen, because the screen is pretty dark.

#44 DigiPro31279

DigiPro31279

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:04 PM

like keichi....i can see it better on my laptop vs my desktop. my desktop is an lcd flat screen

#45 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:13 PM

Got to agree. Not only about the too-dark-factor but also about Lithium not being a troll. He's a little sharp, agreed, but let's appreciate the fact that his comments always are honest. I know that all these lovey dovey and "you're screens are so great"-comments are fun, but they don't help you improove. They boost motivation though, so I wouldn't go as far and call them useless.

Jared, suggestion: Delete all the black transparent tiles and place white transparent circles over those torches. Same effect, pretty much the same atmosphere, but you can see what's going on. You can make the palette a little darker, maybe, but those shadows are overkill in my honest opinion.

Edited by Sheik91, 19 July 2011 - 04:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users