Official "What video games are you playing right now?" topic

• Please log in to reply
4811 replies to this topic

#4501 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:24 PM

The other 5 were a Harry Potter game, a ps1 demo disc, Namco Museum 50th Anniversary, and the first 2 Tak Games. Apparently they had an extra copy of Sunshine, and they were getting rid of some other games with it.

Yeah, that's still a hell of a deal. Just curious, is it an original, or is is a player's choice edition?

I'm finishing up my second playthrough of Hat in Time, and will probably be doing a 3rd, not 100% afterwards. I'm just trying to get all the achievements, which is something I've never bothered with in a Steam game, since most of the time, there are one or two total BS achievements that are nigh impossible. This game actually compels me to play through them all, cause it is that good, and they are fair for the most part.

Oh yeah, started playing Luigi's Mansion. My friend let me borrow it a while ago, and I just started playing it. I've never played it before. I beat the first boss, and I gotta say.. it's okay. I hope it gets a little more complex than, "go in the room, suck everything, find the key, move on". It looks pretty good for a GC launch title, and I can see why it has its fans. I will admit, I've always held a small amount of disdain for this game, since it is what essentially single handily redefined Luigi's personality as a scardy-cat, but he is expressive, I'll give them that.

#4502 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:37 PM

Luigi's Mansion is short but sweet, when the Boos show up it does get a bit more interesting, and a few of the ghosts have interesting gimmicks, and there is a weapon upgrade or two. Still it's fairly simplistic at heart.

• Anthus likes this

#4503 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:53 AM

Luigi's Mansion is more about the atmosphere than the gameplay.

#4504 Fiyaball

Fiyaball

I'll stop hoarding RPGs someday

• Members

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

It's a player's choice version of Sunshine, but it has the manual, so i'm fine with it. 

It's almost Halloween, so I'm going to do another playthrough of Luigi's Mansion (and hopefully not lose the 50 boo gem by dying to the final boss without saving....)

This weekend is going to be 100% Super Mario Odyssey, so it's gonna be a blast.

• Anthus likes this

#4505 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:42 AM

Oh yeah, Odyssey comes out this weekend, doesn't it? I haven't been paying too much attention, since I don't own a Switch. I'm kind of curious how well it's going to top Galaxy. From what I've seen, Odyssey takes a more open-ended approach on collecting Moons, while Galaxy did each Star individually. I kind of liked Galaxy's way of doing things since it meant that each Star could be its own setpiece, and they could set up the presentation to be as flashy as possible. It also avoided my problem with the earlier games like 64, in that you went in a totally different direction for each Star in Galaxy, while 64 had them all in the same play-area and you'd be beyond burned out on each level before getting all of the Stars it had.

Anyways, I've been pretty busy this week, but I've been putting more time into Persona 5 and Disgaea 2. I've opened up Mementos in Persona, and I'm just killing time until the next level starts up. I only found out the other day that I can use Thief's Eye to find new Confidants in the Real World, but haven't had the time to take a good look around. I was under the impression that it was a Metaverse-only skill. Not sure if it was explained in-game and I missed it, or if the game just doesn't bother to tell you, so now I'm a bit worried that I've missed out on time that I could have spend working on new Confidants.

As for Disgaea, I accidentally broke the game a bit. I read about a level-grinding trick where you send a weak character into a high-level Item World, and continually restart until the random generator sets up Invincibility panels. Since you build up a bonus every turn that you attack without moving the character, and that bonus continues to stack up on itself, you can eventually power up a low-level character to kill an extremely powerful enemy. Once you get the EXP for that first kill, you have enough attack power to easily kill the rest of the enemies even if you move between Invincibility panels and lose the combo bonus.

I ended up launching Adell from Level 15 to 60 after one battle, and got 16 million HL to spend on better gear at the shop. On top of all that, I had sent out a Thief to steal gear while waiting for Adell to power up, and after about 100 turns at 1 percent success chance, I ended up stealing an end-game tier weapon that I gave to Taro as soon as I got him. So now a character who's meant to do a large number of incredibly weak hits per turn does a large number of barely-above-average hits. He ends up clearing maps solo since he essentially gets 8 full-power attacks each turn and one-shots everything. Any time that he dies before clearing a map, I can easily clean up the rest of the enemies with Adell, or Rozalin who's packing a gun that I got as a Stage Clear prize for that Item World excursion.

I'm thinking that I might want to reincarnate all of my OP characters early and try and level them out with the rest of my team. Not sure if I should hold off until I get the best-tier reincarnation or just go with it immediately. Or I can just finish the story as-is. It's Disgaea, being insanely overpowered is half of the point.

#4506 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:59 PM

It also avoided my problem with the earlier games like 64, in that you went in a totally different direction for each Star in Galaxy, while 64 had them all in the same play-area and you'd be beyond burned out on each level before getting all of the Stars it had.

For what it's worth, in Odyssey, you don't get booted from the level when you collect the power stars moons. 

#4507 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:59 AM

I played the Octopath Traveler demo. 

It looks really nice, and if you are into story driven RPGs, it should be a good game, but I did not exactly love it. That doesn't mean it's bad, I'm just not as much of an RPG guy as I used to be. That said, it still is decently fun, and engaging, just a bit too much text for me. I love the art style though, and you can tell they are putting a lot of time into that aspect of it. I hope it does well, but honestly, if I'm gonna play a JRPG by these guys, I'd rather it be Bravely Third or whatever they would have called it.

• Cukeman likes this

#4508 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:18 AM

Yes it is certainly a beautiful looking game, but I don't have the patience for RPGS like I used to. As a younger person they didn't feel that long and repetitive, but the way I look at things now, I still want all of the story, but not all of the turn based battles.

EDIT: Although I love battling in PM: TTYD and M&L:SS, because it's more like playing a game than spending time in menus.

Edited by Cukeman, 12 November 2017 - 06:20 AM.

• Anthus likes this

#4509 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:34 PM

100%'ing Odyssey left me with an insatiable Mario itch. I was going to replay the Galaxy games, but that was a no-go when both of my battery packs for my Wiimotes were out of charge. Instead I whipped out 3D Land and have progressed though half the game (or half the main stages, I have no interest in replaying the padding levels in the special worlds). So, Mario feels a bit sluggish, and the boss variety is incredibly dull, but it's actually a lot more fun than I remember. Level design is charming and clever and, once you readjust to Mario's pace in this game, it's a lot of fun. I'm not sure why I've written this game off as average for so long. It is admittedly a touch forgettable but it's still a joy to play.

Part of me thinks it's because it wasn't what I wanted ever since Galaxy 2. Although admittedly I hadn't played Galaxy 2 until 2015, two years after I played 3D World. I just greatly preferred collectathons to linear platformers and 3D Land/World just didn't do it for me. But now that Odyssey's out and is incredibly fulfilling, I think it's lifted the veil a bit and I'm able to appreciate at least 3D Land a little more for what it was trying to accomplish (which it did pretty well so far I'd say). 

#4510 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 12 November 2017 - 11:55 PM

I think 3D Land as a standalone handheld Mario game excels in its purpose, and is a joy to play, a great game, and a must-own if you have a 3DS. I think what happened when 3D World came out was, people were mad that it was a sequel to a handheld game using similar mechanics, and not really doing anything "new" in spite of being the next big console Mario. This made people become ambivalent towards these games, even the first one. People also forget that we finally got multiplayer back, in a 3D Mario. People write it off as a chaotic after thought, but I've had a lot of fun with 3D World's multiplayer. I am still of the opinion that both games are great, and deserve to be next to any other 3D Mario, but I digress.

I started playing Mario 64 again on VC, and it actually still feels pretty decent, even 21 years later. I'll admit, the camera can be trash at times (if you don't always like the prescribed angles, that is), and they surely didn't know about culling out parts that would block the camera/ camera movement then, but hey for a first go, it was and still is pretty good. I got about 75 stars in one sitting if that says anything. Replaying some of the levels multiple times with little variation in missions (mainly the last two worlds) shows a bit more here, but thankfully, I actually like the levels so it's not that big of a deal to me. 100 coin stars suck though, especially in the last two worlds, where one minor mishap can set you back upwards of 20 minutes.

As for the Galaxy games.. I have been wanting to replay Galaxy 2, since I just got my copy back form my friend, but I just haven't got around to it yet. I remember enjoying Galaxy 2 more than 1, but one thing I never liked about the games was Mario's speed. He feels really slow, and sluggish in the Galaxy games to me. His jump also feels slow, and not very high. I also found the camera to be annoying in a small few instances where you are switching angles/ directions/ gravity, and even more so if jumping is involved with any of those things. My honest, biggest gripe with the Galaxy games is the lack of advanced camera controls. I know you can move it a little with the d-pad in some areas, but come on, even Mario 64 had more camera movement options. This is a problem that is non-existent in the more sterile, and formulaic 3D games. I prefer Luigi, as he moves faster, and plus it's Luigi. With that said, I still adore these games, and hold them in a very high place.

edit: I also think Sunshine had pretty good, and intuitive camera controls for the time. Plus it introduced the (sort of) industry standard of showing the character's outline/ shadow behind stuff. It even culled stuff out, like in the Petey Piranha battle, and in parts of the hotel level. I think that the Wii controller kind of hurt Galaxy/2 in a minor way by not allowing as advanced of a camera as a game with such advanced movement could have benefited from.

And I'm coming in on about 600 Moons in Odyssey. Minor spoilers ahead, but it's a Mario game, so is having an endgame, and collectibles really a spoiler? In my other save, I'm going to try to get all the moons in a world before activating the post game thingy that gives you more moons to find. I doubt I'll get them all, honestly. I'm good with buying all the costumes, and getting most of the moons. Mainly, I just don't want to grind for coins to buy 119 Moons. That's 11,900 coins!

#4511 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:03 AM

Speaking of grinding coins I have like 5,000 coins to unlock the next whatever in Mario Kart 3DS (was that #7?) obviously I've cleared all CC modes, mirror mode, and played lots of online and solo after that, but I feel each cup averages maybe 20 coins(?) I doubt I'll ever reach that next goal. Ugh.

• Anthus likes this

#4512 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:05 AM

That same coin grinding is in Mario Kart 8 (and Deluxe) and honestly I think it's kind of stupid. I would complain less if the threshold for unlocking parts wasn't so high but at that point I wonder why we aren't just given every piece from the start. It's not like the gold parts in 8 are actually the best parts or anything.

• Cukeman likes this

#4513 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:03 PM

A month ago i buy a Disgaea collection, whit D2,3 and 4.

I completed the 3 and now i'm at the last battle of D2, damn the final boss have really high stats!

I was grinding in another map and i captured a lv 107 nekomata, a strike of luck, but i need to develop a strategy for win the last battle, i have play blind untill now and i want complete whitout look in internet

• Anthus likes this

#4514 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:15 PM

Don't forget the optional content you can unlock at the Academy with a high enough character rank, there's also the challenge of completing all 100 floors of a Legendary Item world.

• Dark Ice Dragon likes this

#4515 Dark Ice Dragon

Dark Ice Dragon

Wizard

• Members

Posted 14 November 2017 - 04:26 PM

i really liked that item world, and the class world is great too,i have 4 legendary  items, and in 1 i already overcome floor 40, so i may try whit that untill 100

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users