Zelda Classic 2.50 RC5

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
234 replies to this topic

#16 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:56 AM

Now I'm not sure to about this but in ZC RC4, I just tried running it in Windows 8... and there is a crippling bug makes playing anything full screen not even possible.
Now why I'm bringing this here is This might happen as well in RC5, But I can't give it a try. Its too big for me to download at my preset location.

Okay What happens is when you open ZC-RC4 in windows 8 fullscreen it starts off normal then when it hits the title screen. the whole thing goes to hell icon_neutral.gif
Everything starts flashing blue and a part of the screen is mirror'ed on the left side of the screen but its squashed a bit.
Now you can play it on Windowed mode with no issue's but can't play on full screen on Windows 8 icon_eyebrow.gif

#17 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

That sounds like the sort of problems we had with the 32-bit color mode. You don't have that enabled, do you? It's color_depth in ag.cfg; that should be set to 8.
Does it make a difference if you match the resolution to the screen's?

#18 Ventus

Ventus

Legend

• Members

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

I checked the ag.cfg and the color_depth is set to 8.
I tried running the program at the resolution of the screen and I think it makes it worse. It slows down like crazy and still flips the hell out.

Hmm... I wonder whats up with that.

#19 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 05 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

QUOTE(Orin XD @ Nov 5 2012, 03:28 AM) View Post

Tell me, were any of the item prices in Z1 so high that you were expected to abuse that bug?

The blue ring in Z1 cost a near full rupee counter. I recall using the shop trick (I refuse to call it a bug if it took this long to change it) to get the bait for level 7 when buying the blue ring.

I'd be fine with these types of changes if you guys didn't take down links to old versions of ZC whenever a new version comes out. How am I supposed to play RC1, RC2, or RC2.5 quests without a download of the proper version?

#20 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

Play them in the new one. icon_razz.gif But no one's taking down the old versions that I'm aware of. Some of them are missing from Shardstorm for various reasons, but all the old MediaFire links still work as far as I know.

If I can confirm that the shop bug existed in the NES game, I'll make the fix a quest rule.

#21 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE(Moosh @ Nov 5 2012, 09:43 PM) View Post

The blue ring in Z1 cost a near full rupee counter. I recall using the shop trick (I refuse to call it a bug if it took this long to change it) to get the bait for level 7 when buying the blue ring.

I'd be fine with these types of changes if you guys didn't take down links to old versions of ZC whenever a new version comes out. How am I supposed to play RC1, RC2, or RC2.5 quests without a download of the proper version?

I'd call it a bug, because it really doesn't make sense and it'd not be good if it were possible to cheat in my quest like this, so I'm glad it's fixed. Though, you are right about that version issue...
icon_biggrin.gif
I am downloading this and testing it out.

Edited by Avataro, 05 November 2012 - 02:31 PM.

#22 Orithan

Orithan

Studying Scientist - Commission from Silvixen

• Members

Posted 05 November 2012 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE(Moosh @ Nov 6 2012, 05:43 AM) View Post

Seriously Moosh, seriously. That price of 250 rupees was reasonable, if not a little cheap, for the Blue Ring. That is the single most powerful item you can get before the Magic Key, Magic Sword and the Red Ring. After buying it, you can simply leave and grind up some more rupees (that sucks, I know). My point being Nintendo probably did not intend this feature. If they did, then the prices for the other items would be much higher.
Also, do you delete your old RC builds? If so; then it may be your problem, not ours, that you don't have them. The devs may be simply trying to save serverspace by removing the old files.

Edit: Redacted a posdible trolling comment.

Edited by Orin XD, 05 November 2012 - 02:41 PM.

#23 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 05 November 2012 - 03:09 PM

Okay, so I tested this on the only version of official LoZ I own, which is on the GCN Collector's Edition.

It's not possible, the amount of time it takes to pick up the Blue Ring, leave, return and wait for the string to finish (as you can't speed it up like in ZC), the Rupees are way below 60 at the time you can finally move, so I don't think it's possible in any official version.

Anyhow, if it's simple enough to make into a quest rule, we might as well I guess. I personally won't use the shop trick for my quest, however.

#24 Jared

Jared

Deified

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 05 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

When I run in full screen mode, I can't press enter. I had to do Control+Alt+Delete, exit, and click it again to continue. There was a similar bug with both ZC and ZQ in RC4.

#25 DarkDragon

DarkDragon

Junior

• Members

Posted 05 November 2012 - 05:16 PM

Does the shop trick work on 2.10? If so, I agree there should be a quest rule. Otherwise, it's totally up to Saffith.

The only quests 2.50 officially supports are the original NES 1st/2nd.qst and those custom quests created in full release versions of Zquest (1.84, 1.90, 2.10, and of course 2.50). While the developers have always tried to preserve backwards compatibility when reasonable, the safest way to play a quest from any beta (including 2.50 release candidates) is with that beta's player.

#26 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 05 November 2012 - 09:57 PM

I gave it a whirl in 2.10 and the bug was still present. Though I couldn't recreate it in the original game. icon_shrug.gif (Admittedly, I'm not sure if it can actually be done proper in the original game. I used cheats to try to get it to work so I'm not 100% sure.)

#27 Arek1985

Arek1985

Initiate

• Members

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

Really hoping 2.5 is final soon. Hopefully stability stays as I've found RC4 to be really stable for playing older quests even so no need for digging up dos box for the older versions of ZC anymore.

So keep up the excellent work.

#28 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:09 AM

I can see offering it as a quest rule for people who demand cheating or mechanics abuse in their quests, but I also believe that mechanic-abuse as a mandatory game action is merely poor quest design. The real question is: How difficult is it to keep it as a quest rule that you can enable, rather than merely fixing it?

I do not recall ever being able to do that trick on original hardware. In ZC, with some versions, perhaps in 1st.qst, but not the actual game. if it did work in the original game, then the time it took to activate the armos sentinel, revel the staircase, hear the 'secret' jingle, and enter would have kept it from being used in this way.

Honestly, the fact that a quest done in a beta may not work on 2.50 final is what is keeping me from completing anything very detailed, as i don't want to re-work everything. There is always a balance between compatibility and bug-prevention h, so you can expect other flaws to vanish.

Many quest-makers use lanmolas for 'recharge stations' in their quests, and this is due to a bug in the ZC engine. Once that bug is gone, then their recharge rooms will function as pain rooms. That one does need to be a quest rule, for that very reason; mandatory cheating probably does not.

#29 HylianGlaceon

HylianGlaceon

Magus

• Members

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

I wouldn't worry too much on the versions not being compatible with the final version. I've had my quest since RC1 and I've never had to redo it because of the changes in a newer version. Plus, I doubt there are going to be too many changes between RC5 and the official ZC 2.5 anyhow.

With the Lanmolas, I'm not too familiar with the bug, but if you're worried about it, you could always create a new Item Drop for them and give them a reasonably high chance for dropping a fairy or a heart.

#30 Darkmatt

Darkmatt

Pastel Heart

• Members

Posted 06 November 2012 - 01:30 PM

>* It's no longer possible to buy items with rupees that are already being drained away.
I didn't even know that was actually possible.

Was this NES behaviour? Because that sounds useful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users