Photo

What will happen after 2.5 (and currently)

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 lightdestroyer

lightdestroyer

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:29 PM

After 2.5 release ? Seriously, I've been asking myself this question for a long time. What will ZC become after 2.5 ? I don't think you can go farther than that without stirring away from Zelda Classic original use; which is to replicate the Z1 engine. So, to everyone, what do you think will happen when ZC 2.5 will finally be released ?

#2 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

The Doctor Is In

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 05:36 PM

Not much, really.

The difference between what ZC is currently and whatever 2.5 will be is far, far, far smaller than what it is right now and what 2.10 was. The first thing people will do is back up all their stuff, and treat it as if it's even more volatile than the current builds, because that 2.5 will be the next permanent home of their quests to be built in. People will want stability over features, which is (apparently) the opposite of what the latest builds are, from what I'm hearing.

Most of us will still be doing the same things that we're already doing, I think.

#3 Gleeok

Gleeok

It's dangerous to dough alone, bake this.

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:09 PM

The day after 2.5 is released a comet will destroy all life on Earth. icon_eek.gif

..Honestly I don't know. I think stuff like multiple joystick support/ direct access to low-level rendering functions/ 3D scripting functions/ Bitmap Buffer operations/ Transformations /etc. would be cool. but then like you said, we're drifting far far away from LOZ1 at that point.

#4 Daemon

Daemon

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:26 PM

Maybe ZC will become a Z3 replicator after 2.5?

I think there will at least be a lot more Z3 functions/items. Though, who knows?

#5 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE(lightdestroyer @ Apr 14 2010, 06:29 PM) View Post
I don't think you can go farther than that without stirring away from Zelda Classic original use; which is to replicate the Z1 engine.

Aren't we already, though? It's been a more or less perfect copy at least since I started with 1.84. And now, it's possible to turn it into a different game altogether with scripts.

Let's see. Scrolling, obviously, and we can always add more items and enemies. And, of course, proper enemy and weapon scripting. I'd like to see the door system improved, and scripts made easier to use. Oh, a new combo system would be nice, too...
Eh. In general, I'd say we don't add completely new stuff so much as improve on what's already there.

Edited by Saffith, 14 April 2010 - 06:35 PM.

#6 lightdestroyer

lightdestroyer

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:50 PM

Sure, we can make improvements, but I don't think Zelda Classic can go further. I don't think there's a lot of possibilities left for ZC. I'm beginning to think that 2.5 might be the "final" version.

#7 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:56 PM

Not a lot of possibilities left!? Z3 scrolling. A comprehensive enemy editor. Two player support. Mp3 support. There's tons of things that could be added.

#8 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 06:57 PM

Once 2.5 comes out, the international bureau of internet cookies will distribute greatness to the internet and all who inhabit it. We will all be happy with our virtual cookies and...I forget the rest. icon_razz.gif

On a serious note, so long as we can still have fun making quests with whatever tools we have, I honestly don't mind nor really care what'll happen. (I don't mean that as harshly as it may sound. icon_razz.gif) Whether it's new betas or sticking with 2.5. Either way, the core of it is still there, and that's making ourselves some fun Zelda games. :3

#9 lightdestroyer

lightdestroyer

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Apr 14 2010, 07:56 PM) View Post

Not a lot of possibilities left!? Z3 scrolling. A comprehensive enemy editor. Two player support. Mp3 support. There's tons of things that could be added.

Well, that's still not a LOT. Like I said, we can make improvements, but I don't think a 2.12 can exist. There isn't enough to make a new version.

#10 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:14 PM

Um, 2.12? 2.5 is a lot bigger than 2.12. The next version would be 3.0, which DN already said is going to be a recoding of ZC from the ground up to make it less buggy.

#11 lightdestroyer

lightdestroyer

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:16 PM

Oops, my error. Anyway, 2.5 would still be the "final" version. Sure, they can make 3.0, but it will still be 2.5, in a way.

#12 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:42 PM

After 2.5...Zelda Classic will receive the same following that Lunar Magic has, but will then crash and burn when Nintendo sends a C&D the day before 3.0 is released (kinda like what Square Enix did to the Crimson Echoes team). LOL IDK. Then the mayan apocalypse is triggered by all of us raiding Nintendo HQ with boomerangs and hookshots or something... icon_razz.gif

EDIT: And in 3.0, they better create a faster way to make DoR mountains, because those are a PAIN!

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 14 April 2010 - 08:44 PM.

#13 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:17 PM

I think hell will freeze over before there is ever an official 2.5 release

#14 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:19 PM

Shoelace would be hard at work developing Eye of the Moon.

#15 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 14 April 2010 - 10:39 PM

QUOTE(Freedom @ Apr 14 2010, 10:17 PM) View Post

I think hell will freeze over before there is ever an official 2.5 release

Is there a goal? A goal for the completion date...that's the first step in bringing any project to completion...but anyway, I don't want to quibble, I'm appreciative of any efforts toward completing it.

As for what should be next:

-2x2 tile enemies that behave like any of the 1 tile enemies (walkers, keese, etc., etc.)
-Z3 scrolling
-The best of the scripts, built in as options

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users