Two Week Contest!

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#31 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE(Sheik @ Feb 3 2010, 05:34 AM) View Post

The rule was 8x8 and was changed to 8x16 later I believe.

Yep, that's right. I should probably change the first post before I forget.... >_>

QUOTE(Daemon @ Feb 3 2010, 02:39 AM) View Post

You don't suppose you could have a late entrant do you? I'd be willing to participate with no extra day to work on it, leaving me at a slight disadvantage... Although it's cool if I can't.

If I can, in fact, enter a little late. I have a question about the minimum overworld... If it were say... A side scroller, could you have a minimum overworld of 1x16? Or would it still need to follow the rules of 4x4?

No problem. icon_smile.gif You can participate, I'll add you to the list now. :3

As for the overworld thing...As long the number of screens is the same, it's fine with me. icon_smile.gif

#32 Daemon

Daemon

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 03 February 2010 - 05:06 PM

I have a question about the contest. Will caves and/or houses add towards the overworld screen count? Or would that be considered a dungeon? Or will it not be added to any screen count? icon_confused.gif

#33 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE(Daemon @ Feb 3 2010, 11:06 PM) View Post

I have a question about the contest. Will caves and/or houses add towards the overworld screen count? Or would that be considered a dungeon? Or will it not be added to any screen count? icon_confused.gif

No, they don't count. And I believe you are a lot less restricted to the rules Blaman did set, than you might imagine. It's just that he wants us to build quests at the size of about 1overworld and 4?5? dungeons. You can build less, you can build slightly more (as long as you don't have a sixth actual dungeon), but you have to keep in mind that you have merely 2 weeks time and should keep things at a reasonable size. At least that's what my common sense tells me.

#34 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:29 PM

I have my overworld done, except secrets. I think I can finish this quest's non-script elements by the weekend.

#35 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:52 PM

I'm very glad to hear of progress! icon_biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Sheik @ Feb 3 2010, 06:11 PM) View Post

No, they don't count. And I believe you are a lot less restricted to the rules Blaman did set, than you might imagine. It's just that he wants us to build quests at the size of about 1overworld and 4?5? dungeons. You can build less, you can build slightly more (as long as you don't have a sixth actual dungeon), but you have to keep in mind that you have merely 2 weeks time and should keep things at a reasonable size. At least that's what my common sense tells me.

You've got it exactly right. Caves and stuff don't count at all. Even if they did, I never did give a screen requirement on dungeons, so you're covered. icon_wink.gif

#36 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:26 PM

I've got the main chunk of the overworld done, excluding secrets. Now have the smaller, easier chunk of the over-overworld to do, secrets, and I'll be about 1/4 - 1/3 of the way done. Yay for progress!

#37 Daemon

Daemon

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:00 PM

Because of just starting today, I only have little of the overworld done, although a good amount I'd say. I'll get more work done on it tomarrow, or later tonight. I've been a bit distracted by things...

Edited by Daemon, 03 February 2010 - 08:00 PM.

#38 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:04 PM

Work's a little slow on this side thanks to school...but I guarantee I have the best overworld music ever at least. icon_razz.gif

Edit: AND OF COURSE ZQUEST CRASHES.

#39 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:47 PM

I might enter, I have a lot of school work right now though.

#40 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 04 February 2010 - 12:27 AM

QUOTE(Prospekt @ Feb 3 2010, 05:04 PM) View Post

Work's a little slow on this side thanks to school...but I guarantee I have the best overworld music ever at least. icon_razz.gif

Edit: AND OF COURSE ZQUEST CRASHES.

It seems mean to laugh at other's expense, but that's just too funny.

Also, we'll see about that claim. I have a pretty good music for the overworld picked out.

#41 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 04 February 2010 - 03:16 AM

Prospekt, yesterday ZC crashed and all the new item sprites were lost, even the ones I've sprited/edited. But I have that done now again.
Well, progress on the overworld was little yesterday because I was working on sprites.
Also, other than you guys, I have no idea where to find fitting music icon_frown.gif I mean, I know where to find the music, just no fitting MIDIs =/ But we'll sort that out later, for now, the mapping is important (actually more important than fancy item sprites icon_awesome.gif ).

#42 Alestance

Alestance

Saint Alestance - Eliminator of the ZGP format

• Members

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:35 PM

QUOTE(Russ @ Feb 4 2010, 12:27 AM) View Post

It seems mean to laugh at other's expense, but that's just too funny.

Also, we'll see about that claim. I have a pretty good music for the overworld picked out.

I have all my music picked out. I think I'll be releasing AZCEMS by then too. And just because you found Prospekt's problem to be humourous(Yea, now I can't help but spell in UK English.) I think I'm gonna let him try AZCEMS first. icon_razz.gif

Anyone else could ask me about how to set it up and I can send them a copy of the small stuff.

#43 Daemon

Daemon

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 04 February 2010 - 05:46 PM

I still need to pick out most of the MIDIs, and finish the overworld... ;>_>
I'm going to do the overworld and dungeon mapping first, then move on to secrets, enemies, and everything else.

EDIT: By the way, this may be a noobish question but... Once we're done with the quest do we send it in to Blaman in a PM? Also, for the submitting, do we include screenshots, details, and the like? Sorry, it's just that I'm new at this contest business, so I'm not completely sure on the system.

Edited by Daemon, 04 February 2010 - 06:10 PM.

#44 SpacemanDan

SpacemanDan

• Members

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE(Daemon @ Feb 4 2010, 05:46 PM) View Post

I still need to pick out most of the MIDIs, and finish the overworld... ;>_>
I'm going to do the overworld and dungeon mapping first, then move on to secrets, enemies, and everything else.

EDIT: By the way, this may be a noobish question but... Once we're done with the quest do we send it in to Blaman in a PM? Also, for the submitting, do we include screenshots, details, and the like? Sorry, it's just that I'm new at this contest business, so I'm not completely sure on the system.

Yep. :3 Just send it to me, but I think I'm going to ask to refrain from screenshots so people don't decide whether to play a quest on screens alone. (Not that I don't trust people here, but I want to be safe. icon_wink.gif) A description is fine, though. :3

#45 Moonbread

Moonbread

Playing With Psychos

• Members
  • Pronouns:They / Them

Posted 04 February 2010 - 07:09 PM

Russ, I fail to find what's so funny. I'll also fail to find what's funny when you end up with a header error. Because I'm not gonna sink to that level. icon_unsettled.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users