cutscenes

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 21 October 2004 - 06:44 PM

how do you do cutscenes? right now, I'm using several maps and DMaps for them, but I know there's a bettr way, I just don't know what it is. can somone help?

#2 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 21 October 2004 - 06:52 PM

I make cutscenes doing the same way you do it. Sometimes I try to put my scences on the same map to avoid using more Dmaps, but it makes a mess. icon_eek.gif

#3 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 21 October 2004 - 06:59 PM

well, the reason I don't do that is because, when you show the map, item, and health menu at the top, it moves Link's position over by 1, so as you're going through the scenes, Link seems to be walking over the map

#4 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 21 October 2004 - 07:08 PM

Yeah, I am just going to leave it like that. I don't care if Link's position is bouncing everywhere. As long as the cutscene looks good, that is all that matters. If you do that just for the map, you may have to use, I huge amount of Dmaps. That is not good. icon_confused.gif

#5 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 21 October 2004 - 11:48 PM

Easy. Check "No subscreen." If there's nothing that can hurt you in the cutscenes, and no need to access your inventory, then it'll work just fine.

For overworld maps, you can use the same DMap. For everything else, you'll have to set aside one map for all your cutscenes in a certain area (or else it will "draw" the cutscene screens onto your big map). Try to consolidate DMaps that use the same palette and midi. That's the important bit if you need to conserve DMaps.

Now, when I first read your question, I misinterpreted it. But I went ahead and took a few screenshots before I realized the question, so what the hey... I'll tell you about this method, too. icon_razz.gif

Anyway, this is how I manage cutscenes:

user posted image user posted image

* The conveyor is going down.
* Flag #79 is set as a normal, solid block just like the one you see.
* Flag #16 is another down conveyor.
* And as you've probably guessed, the south edge contains a side warp.
* Check the "Invisible Link" and "No secret sounds" and "No subscreen" screen flags.
* Put the cutscenes on layers 3-6. (You can use layers 0-2 as well, but you'll have to work around a few obstacles)

The downsides:
- Possible to run out of layers occasionally
- Player hears the "sword swipe" sound (this actually sounds good with some SFX files)
- Unless your hero starts off with a sword, this method can't be used until the character finds one

The upsides:
- Does away with all confusion over which button to push
- Feels natural and looks more like a real game

That's about it. By the way, I'm going to recommend you use Mr. Z's SFX file -- the one intended for Link's Birthday 2 -- as the SFX file to use for the DoR demo. Hopefully I'll make my own at some point in the future.

Edited by Radien, 21 October 2004 - 11:50 PM.

#6 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 21 October 2004 - 11:59 PM

well, I guess I can take off the subscreen menu, but it wouldn't deliver the effect I'm going for. but, I guess it can't be helped

[edit] oh, and what triggers the secret combo?

Edited by link3505, 22 October 2004 - 12:02 AM.

#7 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 22 October 2004 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE(link3505 @ Oct 21 2004, 09:59 PM)
well, I guess I can take off the subscreen menu, but it wouldn't deliver the effect I'm going for. but, I guess it can't be helped

The effect? Hmm, okay. It fits just fine for me. The narrowed screen looks like widescreen, as in the movies and Ocarina of Time.

In other words, Ninja Vision!!! icon_cool.gif

oh, and what triggers the secret combo?

Gee, that was a silly thing to forget. It's the Sword flag. icon_smile.gif I've used it so much I remember "#79" right off the bat......

Anyway, you can actually use whatever flag you like. But the sword flag, of course, equates to pressing the A button, regardless.

#8 masterlink3000

masterlink3000

Illustrious

• Members

Posted 22 October 2004 - 08:57 AM

Ok Link 3505, cutscenes are my favorite things to make in Zquest.

To begin with:

Step 1.) Make all the screens for your cutscene. (Tiles too. . .)

Step 2.) Create your dmaps. (Depending on the cutscene, you can just make one Dmap. Use levels 100 and high for thats what I use.)

Step 3.) Now this is the tricky part, using Tic-Warps if you don't know how to use them. Do to Data/Screen data/ Time Warps. (Which are done like this. . .60 = 1 Second. Multiply it to get loner cutscenes. . . Also to use time warps, you need to use side warps as well. Just open the side warp propertie and type the information as needed for the cutscene to work.)

If i left anything out, someone else well help you out. . . icon_wink.gif

#9 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 22 October 2004 - 03:14 PM

Using timed warps during dialog scenes means the player can't advance through text quickly. They work perfectly fine for some visuals, though. Involved cut scenes use all three main methods: timed warps, combo cycling, and side warps with flags.

#10 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 22 October 2004 - 05:37 PM

well, I tried a variation of your way, Radien, because it dosen't work in the new Alpha (a new feature disables the slash right after the string finishes), and I didn't want to hear the sword, but I don't think that's my problem. what happens is, since I'm using side-warps, only two of my four screens with text on them actually plays the text. now, either this is a bug in ZC, or I'm doing something wrong

#11 IaN

IaN

Warrior

• Members

Posted 22 October 2004 - 07:45 PM

I dunno about you guys, but I'm gonna try doing mine the simplest way I can. Block in Link, except for, say down, and have a pit warp maybe 2 or 3 tiles down. :/

#12 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 22 October 2004 - 09:12 PM

QUOTE(link3505 @ Oct 22 2004, 03:37 PM)
well, I tried a variation of your way, Radien, because it dosen't work in the new Alpha (a new feature disables the slash right after the string finishes),

Well, the way I dealt with it, that won't be a problem even after the new version is released. I have my "press A button" icon on a layer, and it disappears once the flag is triggered. So if it still says "press A," the cut scene will advance when you press A, regardless.

and I didn't want to hear the sword, but I don't think that's my problem. what happens is, since I'm using side-warps, only two of my four screens with text on them actually plays the text. now, either this is a bug in ZC, or I'm doing something wrong

Hmm... You have a level number for your DMap, right? And you've set the Guy for all of those screens? Does it skip through the scene, or just sit there with no text?

Also make sure you've assigned the strings after you create them... simple as it may be, I forget to do that every now and then... icon_sweat.gif

Ian:

Simple for the designer... maybe not as simple for the player. icon_shrug.gif For me, it's pretty easy once I make the first screen, then Paste All to the other screens and add layers.

#13 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 22 October 2004 - 10:06 PM

everything is set, but the string dosen't show. it dosen't skip the scene, though

#14 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 22 October 2004 - 11:36 PM

Hmm... well, all I can tell you is go through the checklist. icon_shrug.gif
  • Set level number other than 0 for DMap
  • Set Guy
  • Select String
  • Make sure Link does not appear in upper half of screen

You might conceivably have problems if it's an overworld map, but the level number should take care of that. Still, consider trying Dungeon or Cave if you continue to have problems.

#15 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 23 October 2004 - 12:18 AM

I'll try setting the DMap type to dungeon, cave, and if all else fails, BS overworld, though I'm seriously thinking this may be an Alpha 4 bug...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users