Photo

Sonic Mania

• Please log in to reply
206 replies to this topic

#1 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 22 July 2016 - 09:57 PM

This is no joke. It's gone back to the roots of Sonic, has Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles as playable characters, and is led by Christian "Taxman" Whitehead, who's responsible for the mobile ports of Sonic 1 and 2 and the mobile and Steam ports of Sonic CD. i.e. the guy who made Sonic CD not suck. I have full faith in this game already.

Sonic Mania Adventures full series:

• SpikeReynolds, Anthus, Shane and 5 others like this

#2 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:39 PM

It's not Sonic Adventure 3. 0/10.

Never played the classic sonic games D:

#3 Cukeman

Cukeman

"Tra la la, look for Sahasrahla. ... ... ..."

• Banned

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:42 PM

What did the Steam version of Sonic CD change (besides adding Tails)? I could never get that game to run and Steam gave me a refund on it. I've had the Windows 95 version of it for ages, and it's pure gaming heaven.

Edited by Cukeman, 22 July 2016 - 10:43 PM.

• SpikeReynolds likes this

#4 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:46 PM

Never played the classic sonic games D:

You should.

What did the Steam version of Sonic CD change (besides adding Tails)?

Generally made the game run smoother and added the option to use both soundtracks.

#5 Rambly

Rambly

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:52 PM

Woo. I expected some shamelessly nostalgia-milking game with no heart or inspiration fueling it whatsoever, but instead I got a shamelessly nostalgia-milking game that looks both pretty and genuinely fun.  I dunno if it's just me but it really does feel like the people behind this are genuinely excited to be making it and I hope I'm proven right, and given who's working on it, proooobably will.  A lot of people trying to make retro-inspired games really really need to take cues from this -- don't just take the old game and copy it verbatim, take it and be faithful to it, but build upon it, do new cool shit with it, add to it.  That's how you do old things justice.

and at any rate it's probably gonna be better than sonic 4 and more deserving of the title yeah that's right get DESTROYED sonic 4

• SpikeReynolds, Neppy, The Satellite and 1 other like this

#6 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:54 PM

Well it definitely looks like it could be great. Basically it's Mega Man 9 for Sonic.

The ad is kind of strange though, since going back is what they were trying to do in Sonic 4 and Sonic Generations, but if it's good who cares? I do prefer the original sprite look to things like the NSMB look, but then I started on NES.

The only thing I'm not excited about is the widescreen format. The old 4:3 ratio means you have less time to see what's coming and react, which keeps you on your toes. If they make Sonic move faster, that could account for some of that, but that only applies when Sonic is moving fast- not the areas where he slows down to walk through obstacles, and so forth. I'm glad Mega Man 9 and 10 weren't widescreen.

EDIT: I really like that we're using the Genesis/CD character design.

Edited by Cukeman, 02 December 2017 - 12:51 AM.

#7 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:01 PM

You should.

Generally made the game run smoother and added the option to use both soundtracks.

I think they also let you choose whether to keep the Sonic CD Spin Dash, or swap it for the version Sonic 2 and 3 use. CD's version is a single-speed one that's intentionally made slightly slower to help get people to use the Peel Out as a top-speed move. The normal version is a variable speed move that you can charge with repeated taps for increased speed.

It sounds dumb, but you can really feel the difference in-game between the two.

#8 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:04 PM

Not sure about the drop dash, but I hope the Super Peel-Out from Sonic CD returns. Also, I don't have PS4 or XBOne, so I hope my PC can handle it or it comes out on NX.

The normal version is a variable speed move that you can charge with repeated taps for increased speed.

Really? I never realized tapping did anything more than SFX.

EDIT: LOL, accidentally paused at 1:04 and a sign in the background says EGGNOG

EDIT2: Wonder what the plot will be 2, 3, and Knuckles were all Death Egg central. The original simply introduced Eggman, and CD had Metal Sonic & time travel.

EDIT3: Title screen makes me think of the spinning Yoshi's Island title screen graphics.

EDIT4: Also, music sounds great

Edited by Cukeman, 23 July 2016 - 12:39 AM.

#9 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:33 PM

Someone's gonna have to get their hand on those sprites. The hue-shifting is amazin'! Also, the animation is awesome. There's no excuse not to have smooth animations in 2D games anymore, and I'm glad they realized this. Hit us with all the careful attention to detail!

#10 Cukeman

Cukeman

• Banned

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:40 AM

Re-imagined classics? Does this mean Sonic 1, CD, 2, 3, Knuckles and Chaotix might be included? We really need a release of Chaotix that doesn't require the 32X.

Edited by Cukeman, 23 July 2016 - 12:58 AM.

#11 Haylee

Haylee

~ The Ragin' Cajun ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 23 July 2016 - 03:31 AM

From what I can immediately see from the trailer, what's interesting to me is how even though this is clearly suppose to be a nostalgia based Sonic game, obviously taking from the classic Sonic games, I really love how despite that, this game is just oozing with its own style as well. I've certainly got my hopes up for this game. If my first username when I signed up here didn't make it obvious, I'm a pretty huge sonic fan.

#12 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 23 July 2016 - 05:19 AM

Now this looks like a cool anniversary game! Having played the classics (albeit a long time ago) this should be pretty fun.

#13 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:49 AM

I like how the old games they reference in the trailer operate at 60FPS and their new game likely also operates at 60FPS, yet they record all footage at 30FPS so all the games they portrayed in the video look choppy/stuttery/juddery.

Other than that it looks like it might be a decent Sonic game.

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 23 July 2016 - 07:50 AM.

#14 DashSim

DashSim

ancient being

• Members

Posted 23 July 2016 - 12:27 PM

A genuine attempt to reconnect with Sonic's finest games in a deeper way than just trying to recreate their aesthetic, with Whitehead involved. Sounds good to me.

• The Satellite likes this

#15 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 23 July 2016 - 02:17 PM

It's interesting to see them going back to the classic 2D style. While I do enjoy the 3D games, (a couple of them are guilty pleasures...) the 2D ones are pretty much objectively better games. I will say, the visuals don't really impress me too much. I like the classic style MUCH more than the modern, but the backgrounds for some of the new zones they showed off kinda look generic and blah when compared to the amazing backdrops of, say, Sonic 3 and Knuckles. I'll have to see more to have a concrete opinion though. 

Right now, my thoughts on the game are, "I'm sure it'll be fun.".

• Anthus and coolgamer012345 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users