Metroid

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#16 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:20 AM

I love Metroid Prime 2, however I hate that most of the Key gathering fhat you need to do to unlock the final boss encounter is done right at the very end of the game. It makes for a boring retread through the game worlds with you being a god like creature and it makes the 30~ minutes of key gathering a real bore. Metroid Prime 1 has much better pacing while Metroid Prime 3 is extremely linear (I hate how each level is segregated from each other in MP3).

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 04 November 2015 - 12:26 AM.

• Anarchy_Balsac and Astromeow like this

#17 kurt91

kurt91

Follower of Destiny

• Members

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:03 AM

Quick question, now that I've just thought of it. My computer can run Gamecube games on Dolphin without a hitch, but is too laggy to run Wii games. Is there a way that I can set up the Prime games to play with keyboard and mouse so they play somewhat like a traditional FPS? You know, mouse controls camera/shooting and keyboard for movement. (Although the only Wii game that I tested was Punch Out! I should try more later. It was just so laggy that it was frame-by-frame, and it was rather discouraging. I even bought a bluetooth connector so I could use a Wii controller.)

#18 Timelord

Timelord

The Timelord

• Banned

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:11 AM

I can pass hours with the title screen. Seriously. Probably my favorite title screen ever.

The infinite space... the light of Samus Aran.

Compare:

also...

#19 Eppy

Eppy

Alisa~

• Members

Posted 03 November 2015 - 04:51 AM

Super Metroid is my favorite game OF ALL TIME

Metroid Prime is very close to as good as Super imo, at least as far as Metroid games are concerned.

• Astromeow likes this

#20 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:35 AM

Quick question, now that I've just thought of it. My computer can run Gamecube games on Dolphin without a hitch, but is too laggy to run Wii games. Is there a way that I can set up the Prime games to play with keyboard and mouse so they play somewhat like a traditional FPS? You know, mouse controls camera/shooting and keyboard for movement. (Although the only Wii game that I tested was Punch Out! I should try more later. It was just so laggy that it was frame-by-frame, and it was rather discouraging. I even bought a bluetooth connector so I could use a Wii controller.)

You'll want the latest developer build/s for Dolphin if you want Metroid Prime games to run at a reasonable performance, and to not have broken HLE audio support (Same for F-Zero GX).

Edited by Nicholas Steel, 03 November 2015 - 05:35 AM.

#21 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:05 AM

I can't see your videos, Zoria..

For starters of Metroid 1:
1) Do your own map
2) Don't tank enemies
3) Use your missiles against the enemies
4) Bombs are a nice weapon
5) Find all the upgrades before going into a lair
6) When you have morph ball, missiles and bombs, you can go everywhere
7) Explore and enjoy the freedom and atmosphere.
8 ) The game isn't hard if you use your brain. Don't use savestates or external maps.
9) Check well dead ends and square screens.

Edited by Air Luigi, 03 November 2015 - 08:17 AM.

#22 Anarchy_Balsac

Anarchy_Balsac

Quest Builder

• Members

Posted 03 November 2015 - 08:37 AM

Fusion > Zero Mission. Also, Prime Hunters isn't as bad as people say it is. At least it's not Other M.

Metroid PINBALL was better received than Other M.

#23 Nimono

Nimono

Ultra Miyoa Extraordinaire!

• Members

Posted 03 November 2015 - 09:28 AM

Metroid Fusion was the first Metroid game I ever played, so it holds a very special place in my heart. (I don't care that it's one of the worst for speedrunning!) My favorite has to be Super, though. That open world...all those sequence breaks... THAT is Metroid. <3 Prime 1 and Zero Mission are close seconds, though!

• Logos likes this

#24 Astromeow

Astromeow

RESPECT DA OBOE SOLO

• Members

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:03 AM

I love Metroid beyond other series...

I grew up playing the living hell out of the games, except for Other M and Prime 3.

Metroid games were the only ones I ever got 100%, sped ran as a kid, and made lots of fanart about. My heart feels warm and fuzzy thinking about my childhood experience with Metroid.

FunshineDX is a remake of Metroid 3 with a heavy touch of other Metroids and Zelda 2. 

Edited by Astromeow, 03 November 2015 - 10:04 AM.

• Anarchy_Balsac likes this

#25 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 03 November 2015 - 10:07 AM

Sakamoto games (Super, Fusion, Zero, Other M) are too much focused in fancy moves and speed running, and they don't feel as alien worlds at all, imo. Always pissed me how in their games you can reveal blocks with the bombs, that look like the powerups. "Insert your key here" That doesn't fit a alien world!

People tend to say that Prime is "Super 3d". No. Prime is way closest to the spirit of Metroid 1/2. The atmosphere is way more important than in Sakamoto games and Prime games are way more focused in lore and depth. Other M was just the confirmation of all this. I wasn't surprised at all when Sakamoto made that bad joke... I don't like how the intro of Super ruined the ending of Metroid 2 and I never liked the story of Fusion, Sakamoto always was that way.

You can notice that I love Sakamoto as much as Aonuma 8-D

Edited by Air Luigi, 03 November 2015 - 10:35 AM.

#26 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 03 November 2015 - 12:25 PM

I agree, Prime is a masterpiece. It's actually pretty difficult, and Metroid deserves such a well made 3D transition. Did you know that Miyamoto was the one responsible for Prime, along with Retro? That's probably why the game is so good. Miyamoto > Sakamoto. Other M was a complete joke. It was so bad that I consider The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time to be more of a metroid game than it. And I dislike OoT with a passion. Sakamoto never knew why players liked Metroid so much. WE WANT EXPLORATION. THAT'S WHAT WE WANT SAKAMOTO. We don't want linearity (although Fusion wasn't all that bad in that regard, probably because it was planned by Gunpei before he passed), we don't want fancy moves, and we do not ever want sexualization. Ever. We want exploration and difficulty, and Sakamoto thinks we just want Samus' ass. Why is it that the only good game Sakamoto produced had the original creator, Gunpei, on the team? Why can he not make a good game outside of WarioWare?

#27 TheLegend_njf

TheLegend_njf

Deified

• Members

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:36 PM

I never had trouble with the map because I played Zero Mission first. I seemed to be able to feel the layout of the world by the time I decided to play Metroid.

I'd very much recommend that game too. It's the perfect remake.

#28 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:00 PM

I never had trouble with the map because I played Zero Mission first. I seemed to be able to feel the layout of the world by the time I decided to play Metroid.

I'd very much recommend that game too. It's the perfect remake.

How is that possible? Ok, Zero Mission can be good as a standalone game. But as a remake... it doesn't share nothing in core gameplay mechanics with Metroid 1. Metroid 1 is open world and it's about surviving in a hostile world, while Zero Mission is another Super Metroid clone about fancy moves and linear progression. It's like saying that Metroid Prime is the perfect remake of Super Metroid in 3D.... no... It doesn't have sense. Metroid 1 and Zero Mission only share Zebes, story and part of the layouts (and obviously nostalgic touches like the long beam), but the gameplay, execution and approach of both games are radically different.

Edited by Air Luigi, 03 November 2015 - 06:02 PM.

#29 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:07 PM

AM2R is the best 2D metroid game. It's difficult, and it has very good gameplay. Well, it may be slightly linear, but it's a remake, and it's less linear than what it was based off. I can't wait until it's finished.

#30 Air Luigi

Air Luigi

Tio guachi

• Members

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:14 PM

AM2R is the best 2D metroid game. It's difficult, and it has very good gameplay. Well, it may be slightly linear, but it's a remake, and it's less linear than what it was based off. I can't wait until it's finished.

Exactly the same case that Zero Mission. Another game that don't understand the original source and lost all the things that made the original unique. When I see these speed booster blocks in AM2R, I can only laugh xd

Metroid 2 was linear to compensate the absence of map, creating an spectacular illusion that the game is way more complex in the travel to the depths of a planet. 

A tip to understand the architecture of Metroid 2: Only the sacred chozo rooms with powerups have doors that require missiles to be opened. These are the only doors in the entire game.

Edited by Air Luigi, 03 November 2015 - 06:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users