NPC Item

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Riflezen

Riflezen

sometimes does stuff

• Members

Posted 23 September 2019 - 04:11 PM

I have two (probably not) quick questions: how do you change the appearances of items when Link uses them, and how do you change the sprites used by multiple-sprite enemies like Moldorm?

#2 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 24 September 2019 - 01:09 AM

Weapon sprites are assigned under Quest->Graphics->Sprites->Weapons/Misc. In the item editor itself you can then assign sprites from that list in the Action Tab. Different weapons will interpret sprite graphics differently. The main types are:

• Animated: Sprites that only have one direction and play a looping animation. This is stuff like enemy fireballs, candle fire, and boomerang particles. Some other sprites can also become this type if you set the animation frames, such as having wand magic that doesn't have directional graphics but animates.
  • Directional: Sprites that rotate based on four directions. These use two tiles: an up facing one, followed by a right facing one. The up facing one gets flipped when it's facing down and the right facing one when it's facing left. As far as I'm aware these can't animate while retaining their direction flipping. These are for stuff like arrows and wand magic, as well as melee weapons when facing the cardinal directions. Sword beams also use this but use a third tile for the beam shards.
  • Slashing: Used for in-between frames in sword and wand weapons that slash. Uses four tiles going up-right, down-left, up-left, up-right. 

Most of the general item editor sprites fall into one of those three types. There's some other specific cases that interpret tiles differently but you can always look at a working example to figure out how it works. Also some of the MISC sprites look at quarter tiles instead of full ones, such as magic meter pieces.

Similarly with boss sprites, it really helps to look at a working example. The tiles are always laid out the same way as long as you're using the same animation. The tile box for the New animations and sometimes the Other one are the only ones that matter, as old ones are only used in very old quests. In the case of Moldorm, it's like three normal 8-way enemies mashed together. The first two rows are used for the head segment. The next two are used for all the middle segments. And the last two are for the tail. The one boss enemy type you need to watch out for when it comes to animations is Gleeok. I believe some of the settings in the Data 2 tab will affect its animations so the usual copying stuff might not work.

• Riflezen likes this

#3 Riflezen

Riflezen

sometimes does stuff

• Members

Posted 24 September 2019 - 09:05 AM

Thanks!

#4 Riflezen

Riflezen

sometimes does stuff

• Members

Posted 24 September 2019 - 12:08 PM

If there's an overworld tile that exists inside the tilesheet but isn't in the combo list, is there a way I can add it to the list? Because I found a really nice set of unused dungeon entrance tiles in the tilesheet

#5 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 24 September 2019 - 08:15 PM

If there's an overworld tile that exists inside the tilesheet but isn't in the combo list, is there a way I can add it to the list? Because I found a really nice set of unused dungeon entrance tiles in the tilesheet

Go to Quest->Graphics->Combos. From there you can select and edit an unused one (the red squares). The top left box is for the tile it uses and the one directly to the right of that is its solidity.

Also if you want to map a large block of tiles into combos real fast, you can go into Quest->Graphics->Tiles and select the whole block of tiles with Shift + Click. Then press the M key to map them all somewhere in the combo table. They'll all have the same solidity and other properties as the first one you assign this way. Be sure you have enough empty space below wherever you're using combo mapping so you don't overwrite other combos by mistake.

Edited by Moosh, 24 September 2019 - 08:16 PM.

• Riflezen likes this

#6 Riflezen

Riflezen

sometimes does stuff

• Members

Posted 25 September 2019 - 09:18 AM

Thanks! That's going to help a lot.

#7 Riflezen

Riflezen

sometimes does stuff

• Members

Posted 25 September 2019 - 03:43 PM

I can't figure out how to edit the sprites Link uses when he's holding a shield. Thought it would be in Quest -> Graphics -> Sprites  -> Weapons/Misc, but it's not.

#8 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 25 September 2019 - 06:13 PM

I can't figure out how to edit the sprites Link uses when he's holding a shield. Thought it would be in Quest -> Graphics -> Sprites  -> Weapons/Misc, but it's not.

Link's shield sprites are a tile offset from Link's base tiles (Quest->Graphics->Sprites->Link). This offset uses the Link Tile Modifier field in the item editor which is added together from the highest item in each itemclass to get the total tile offset. Typically you'll only see shields have a LTM value though, because combined LTMs from multiple itemclasses takes up too much tile space. Something that further complicates the LTM system is that older tilesets don't have the Expanded Link Tile Modifiers rule set, and so only tiles where Link's shield would be visible (walking frames except for up facing) are affected by LTMs. So that generally means smaller LTM values and more compact Link tiles blocks.

#9 Riflezen

Riflezen

sometimes does stuff

• Members

Posted 25 September 2019 - 08:30 PM

Honestly, I still don't understand, so, for the time being, I'm just going to stick to the default sprites.

#10 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 27 September 2019 - 10:22 AM

Honestly, I still don't understand, so, for the time being, I'm just going to stick to the default sprites.

Here, let me walk you through an example then. To make it easier to see, I'm gonna be using a character with a completely separate character, rather than just adding a shield.

cWzMoY4.png

Here's my sprite sheet. Link's sprites are set to the top two rows. I want to be able to give Link an item to change how he appears though. The next character's sprites are laid out the same, but are 4 rows (80 tiles) down in the tile page.

ivW60Ut.png

So here's how I do it. This item ha a Link Tile Modifier of 80. That means, if Link has the item, all of his sprites use the tile 80 tiles further down the tile page than the one that's set in Quest->Sprites->Link. If I gave him an item with an LTM of 160 instead, the sprites would shift down 160 to the next set of sprites on the page instead.

So for shields, you'd do basically this same thing, except the top set of sprites would be Link with no shield, next would be with small shield, next with medium shield. Then, you just set the right number in the Link Tile Modifier section of the shield items. Voila!
  • Riflezen likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: NPC, Item

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users