Photo

Screenshot of the Week 454

Demonlink Avataro NewJourneysFire

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

Poll: Screenshot of the Week 454 (68 member(s) have cast votes)

~

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#31 DarkFlameWolf

DarkFlameWolf

Murana Wolford

• Members

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:37 AM

Then I totally misunderstood what SOTW was all about if it was originally intended to showcase stuff in development, I thought SOTW was meant to showcase the BEST designed screen for each week. Period. Not to showcase development stuff, that was reserved for other venues/threads. So I've been getting it wrong all these years when voting. For this week, I voted for Demonlink because his 'shot' was simply the best shot of this current week, bar none. Not because I was most interested in what he was developing.

#32 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:44 AM

/me raises hand

Question. Just one. What's the point of this debate here?

Anyway, I personally enjoyed Demonlink's shot as well. He's got good screen charisma, that's all. :P

#33 Tree

Tree

Everything must go away

• Members

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:45 AM

/me raises hand

Question. Just one. What's the point of this debate here? 

Freedom of speech is a thing.

I null'd, because I honestly didn't find any of the shots very... wow-ish.

Edited by Tree, 08 May 2014 - 05:46 AM.

#34 Haylee

Haylee

~ Hope of Energy Nede ~

• Members
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:44 AM

Well then, things seem to have escalated quite a bit.

SotW is about having a fun, friendly contest seeing who has made the screen that people enjoy the most that week, it's not about sharing really nice looking shots, but if you do, more power to you, in fact, I encourage it. Thing is, don't discourage people for making a shot that wasn't meant for being a nice screenshot, such as NJFs. It is all fair game to make a shot for SotW that was intended as a joke. Now, I'm not saying, post intentionally really bad SotWs. But look at NJF's shot, it's very clear he took the effort to make all of those tiles manually, and he made an entire screen out of them. To call it a waste of space after all that effort is an insult, not a criticism. SotW is more about which shot you enjoy the most, and that's what makes NJF's shot fair game.

Getting myself back on track after that little tangent, I voted for NJF because I enjoyed his shot the most.

• Avaro and Demonlink like this

#35 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:46 AM

Well then, things seem to have escalated quite a bit.

SotW is about having a fun, friendly contest seeing who has made the screen that people enjoy the most that week, it's not about sharing really nice looking shots, but if you do, more power to you, in fact, I encourage it. Thing is, don't discourage people for making a shot that wasn't meant for being a nice screenshot, such as NJFs. It is all fair game to make a shot for SotW that was intended as a joke. Now, I'm not saying, post intentionally really bad SotWs. But look at NJF's shot, it's very clear he took the effort to make all of those tiles manually, and he made an entire screen out of them. To call it a waste of space after all that effort is an insult, not a criticism. SotW is more about which shot you enjoy the most, and that's what makes NJF's shot fair game.

Getting myself back on track after that little tangent, I voted for NJF because I enjoyed his shot the most.

[10:14:25 PM] Sean (Goriya, Eevee, Nexas, etc.): Feel free to call me a butt

a butt

You hold a very good point. No one ever agreed that there should even be requirements on what to submit anyway. I'm not a fan of NJF's shot at all, but I won't go far as to say it is a waste of space. I really do think the other contestants did manage to capture better screens and atmosphere regardless of comparing the amount of effort took in each shot.

Edited by Charizard, 08 May 2014 - 07:48 AM.

• Haylee and Lightwulf like this

#36 Maleboocado

Maleboocado

Gotta go fast!!!!!11

• Members

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:04 AM

Well, this is my first SotW, so hi everybody.

Avataro's screenshot is lacking in something. Maybe it's supposed to be a quiet place (an early dungeon?) but I don't feel anything. The stalagmites are a nice addition though, I like it. Maybe it's just the TMC style what bugs me...

Demonlink's screenshot is okay, it has some details here and there and it simply works visually speaking. But my vote goes to NJF. I would like to play a Zelda game like that even if I'm not really convinced of the ASCIII-like effect.

Edited by Maleboocado, 08 May 2014 - 08:07 AM.

#37 Master Maniac

Master Maniac

Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.

• Members

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:38 AM

Avataro's screenshot is lacking in something.

I agree. Not that it isn't a well-built screen, it just feels really empty. Maybe a bit of floor level variation, or a chest or item or something would help it a bit, but as it sits right now, it seems to want something more.

#38 Lightwulf

Lightwulf

Master

• Members

Posted 09 May 2014 - 11:10 AM

Well, I voted for NJF for no other reason than it's very artistic.  It actually was a challenge for me to see Link in the picture.  Granted, I've seen ASCII art in my days, so that may affect my viewpoint, but I'm also an artist.  I think he did a swell job at going against the norm and submitting something a little on the abstract side! :D (Some people have trouble understanding abstract art, and I admit it isn't easy, so I don't blame anybody for not understanding.)

I was impressed by Demonlink's enemy sprites; maybe because I haven't seen that tileset used before; I don't know.  Personally, I think there's a good amount of detail.  I can't think of anything that needs improvement. :)

Avataro's shot is so dark that I couldn't see the pit that people were talking about.  After I clicked on the shot, I could see it. ... Big pit.  :slycool:

Seriously, though, the room looks pretty rectangular for being what I'm assuming is a cave.  Other than that, it's pretty nice. :)

Edited by Lightwulf, 09 May 2014 - 11:11 AM.

#39 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:59 PM

With 41.38% of the vote, the winner of Screenshot of the Week 454 is Demonlink!

Demonlink.png

Congratulations!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Demonlink, Avataro, NewJourneysFire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users