Photo

Map of the Year 2020: Lizalfos Bracket

Jared

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

Poll: Map of the Year 2020: Lizalfos Bracket (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Which one of these will defeat the Lizalfos?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 01 January 2021 - 08:06 AM

Map of the Year 2020: Lizalfos Bracket

6. Moosh (MotM 122)

I got a bit nostalgic for some old, short lived quest projects of mine, so I dug this up. I was watching Made in Abyss at the time, and loved this visual of a large town encircling the mouth of a giant chasm. Unfortunately I didn't have any interesting story or gameplay to accompany this idea, only cool setpieces, so the project died quickly. Thaaaaat's ZC.  :P

7. Joelmacool (MotM 123)

Take a walk.

8. Mani Kanina (MotM 124)

Koholint island remade in ZC; Oracle design style, two maps total (no layers), designed around ZC's and current script's limitations.

9. Jared (MotM 125)

The Rolling Hills and Outset Village

• Anthus, Hari, Matthew and 1 other like this

#2 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Contributors

Posted 03 January 2021 - 02:05 AM

Moosh 122 - 
I feel like this map suffers from stretching its tiles too thin.  Particularly the town has way too few detail tiles to be as large as it is, and I feel like this makes the screens very anonymous.  It would be hard to make a mental map for this as a result.

Joelmacool 123 - 
I voted for this one.  It's certainly nontraditional - I understand this is the map from I Will Attend The Funeral, which I have not played, but also seems like a very nontraditional quest.  It's kind of a perfect little aesthetic piece and feels both cozy and cold - it actually kind of just touches me on a pure emotional level, which is not something I've ever felt from a contextless map, and why I think it really won my vote.

Mani Kanina 124 - 
Certainly nice, but it's a very straight putt remake with most screen shapes virtually unchanged except for where they had to account for scale differences.

Jared 125 - 
This was the other strong contender for this bracket, in my opinion.  I love the BS tileset and this is a wonderful expansion of those tiles.  Not really a whole lot to critique here - your palette choices are lovely (I especially love what you chose for the water), screen layouts are simple and strong, and details are very well-placed.  Very strong map.

• Anthus and Avaro like this

#3 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 03 January 2021 - 03:19 PM

I voted for Mani's here. It is a pretty by the books remake, but it's still neat to see Koholint realized like this in ZC.

Joel's is my second pick. I won't say anything about the quest other than you should play it if you haven't. It's seriously best experienced blind, and this map might seem weird out of context but it works so well within the quest.

#4 Eddy

Eddy

ringle

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:47 AM

Like with the Moblin bracket, this was also a very tight competition. The winner of this one is... Jared! Congrats!

6. Moosh (MotM 122) (9 votes [30.00%])

7. Joelmacool (MotM 123) (6 votes [20.00%])

8. Mani Kanina (MotM 124) (5 votes [16.67%])

9. Jared (MotM 125) (10 votes [33.33%])

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Jared

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users