Photo

How "incomplete" is the Firebird Tileset?

firebird tileset design incomplete help editor custom quest

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MrPow

MrPow

Initiate

• Members

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:47 AM

I haven't messed with ZQuest in over a year but life has granted me some extra free time lately and I wanted to get back into making quests. Previously, the only tileset I have worked with is the DoR tileset, (Won a couple SSotW using that tile set too.), but I was looking at the other tilesets and found the Firebird tileset and fell in love with it. I even whipped up some mock-up screens that look pretty good for the little amount of time I put into them. (see below)

My issue is, there are only 2 reviews for the tileset in 2017 and both of them say the set is incomplete, and according to the site, it hasn't been updated since 2015. Now, I do not have the experience to identify what is missing from this set right off the bat and I really do not want to put hours of work into something only to discover I cannot finish it.

Could anyone tell me what is missing? Or, better yet, point me in the right direction to completing it myself? I am really enjoying this tileset so far. It is easier to use than DoR and, in my opinion, looks better than EZGBZ.

Thanks.

(screenshot)

4TkauBM.png

• Sheik, Avaro and Naru like this

#2 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:11 PM

If I recall correctly, it's missing NPC and enemy tiles.

#3 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:41 PM

What's incomplete is some of the enemy tiles, most of the boss enemy tiles and pretty much all NPCs beyond basic Zelda 1 stuff. Some say that they would like more dungeon wall sets but I personally think there's quite enough of them to fill a quest of some 4-6 dungeons maybe.

I'd say it's save to use. You will run into a few tight spots probably but you should be able to fill them out with stuff from the other tilesets. I feel like the Pure tilesets should merge in stylistially somewhat okayish.

#4 Demonlink

Demonlink

Lurking in the shadows...

• Members

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:28 PM

Feenicks has made some stuff for Firebird recently. Shoot him a PM to see if he can help you out. :)

#5 MrPow

MrPow

Initiate

• Members

Posted 25 October 2017 - 08:08 PM

If I recall correctly, it's missing NPC and enemy tiles.

Oh sure, the one thing I didn't think to check for...

What's incomplete is some of the enemy tiles, most of the boss enemy tiles and pretty much all NPCs beyond basic Zelda 1 stuff. Some say that they would like more dungeon wall sets but I personally think there's quite enough of them to fill a quest of some 4-6 dungeons maybe.

I'd say it's save to use. You will run into a few tight spots probably but you should be able to fill them out with stuff from the other tilesets. I feel like the Pure tilesets should merge in stylistially somewhat okayish.

Ill try experimenting with Pure. Thanks.

Feenicks has made some stuff for Firebird recently. Shoot him a PM to see if he can help you out. :)

Oh awesome! Ill give it a shot.

#6 Avaro

Avaro

o_o

• Members

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:12 AM

Yes definetly ask Feenicks. I think he was gonna help the firebird makers update the tileset?

A few resources you can find throughout the forum:

Look through the last few pages of the firebird thread: https://www.purezc.n...c=63875&page=12

Effects & enemy: https://www.purezc.n...87&hl=+firebird

#7 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:55 PM

Here is the thread with Feenicks' stuff: https://www.purezc.n...showtopic=71949 These are pretty much the best custom Firebird enemy sprites.

At some point I started to work on some NPCs based on the GB NPCs with Firebird Link's proportions. They're very far from usable but these can serve as a direction for whoever might want to make some Firebird NPCs:

GMjXYM7.png

• Demonlink, Naru and MrPow like this

#8 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 27 October 2017 - 06:05 PM

I think the middle part I did better, but the lower part of your dress is just gorgeous. I think I have to give up on my dresses *cry*

[Edit] just looked it up and after comparing a few of my sprites, a bearable lower part I made long ago showed up. Of course all my detailed versions were not based on the bearable version and just look incredible lacking compared to yours. Did I mention that the hair you made looks awesome?

Edited by Naru, 27 October 2017 - 07:43 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: firebird, tileset, design, incomplete, help, editor, custom, quest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users