The Long Awaited Survey

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:09 PM

Okay, when I sent my beta testers the last beta, I told them that soon I would send them a survey about HoD. I put it off and put it off. I now decided to write the survey, open to not only the testers, but everyone that completed the quest.

So, if you want to help me, make better games, and have a better idea of what everyone thinks of my game, answer some or hopefully all of these questions:

1. Did you complete the game?

*Very important. If you haven't completed the game, then I won't care for it as much as the others. Why? Because, I need an overall idea of my game. If you stopped playing, tell me why you stopped playing.

2. What was your favorite level?

3. What was your least favorite level?

4. What did you think of the storyline? Did you understand it?

*by the way, I am not talking about the grammar, I am talking about the storyline.

5. Do you think it fit in with the actual Zelda Storyline?

6. What was your favorite custom boss?

7. What was your least favorite custom boss?

8. What did you think of the side quests like the Red Suit, the Link Statues, and bomb updates?

9. What was your favorite puzzle?

10. What was your least favorite puzzle?

11. Did you think my game was hard, enemy wise?

12. Do you think my game was hard, puzzle wise?

13. Do you think the side quests, side storylines, mini things (for example having to do things before you go the level) were a good thing or a bad thing?

14. What did you think of the humor in the game?

15. Any suggestions on the easier version of HoD I am going to make?

16. Any suggestions on my future quests?

17. Anything I missed?

Again, this will help with my future quests. HoD was my first game, so I made a lot of mistakes. This survey is so I can create a balance in my futures games. Of course, I am not going to make everyone happy, but this will help me become a better quest designer. Thanks.

--Shoelace

#2 Dethl

Dethl

@

• Members

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:54 PM

QUOTE(Shoelace @ Jun 27 2006, 11:09 PM)
Okay, when I sent my beta testers the last beta, I told them that soon I would send them a survey about HoD.  I put it off and put it off.  I now decided to write the survey, open to not only the testers, but everyone that completed the quest. 

...I completely forgot about this.

1.  Did you complete the game?

Yep.

2.  What was your favorite level?

Hmm... Probably level 7.

3.  What was your least favorite level?

Well, it's either 4 or 8... But since 8 was meant to be the final challange (Sorta), it can be expected. So, 4.

4.  What did you think of the storyline?  Did you understand it? 

No, of course not. I obviously don't know about the storyline, even if I know what will happen in EotM, TDS, and you've talked with me in chat about it, say, 50 times? icon_razz.gif And that was sarcasm.

5.  Do you think it fit in with the actual Zelda Storyline?

Well, it technically has to... You're following your own timeline, where OoT is first, and HoD is after everything else.

6.  What was your favorite custom boss?

Hmm... The level 8A boss.

7.  What was your least favorite custom boss?

Island Sorrow. Definatly.

8.  What did you think of the side quests like the Red Suit, the Link Statues, and bomb updates?

FLAVOURIFIC!!

9.  What was your favorite puzzle?

...Stop making me think. ;_; Uh... The weather puzzles in Season Isle?

10.  What was your least favorite puzzle?

Do I have to say the spike puzzles in 8B?

At first, no. Once you get past level 4, yes. Once you get past level 6, no. Once you get past level 7, you get the point.

12.  Do you think my game was hard, puzzle wise?

After level 4, you killed my brain.

13.  Do you think the side quests, side storylines, mini things (for example having to do things before you go the level) were a good thing or a bad thing?

Hey, if they weren't there, then it would be a pretty dull game. icon_razz.gif

14.  What did you think of the humor in the game?

Eh, it was okay. I loved the bad grammar though. STEP ON THE STOMP.

15.  Any suggestions on the easier version of HoD I am going to make?

Make an escape point in the running spike puzzles in level 8B. Fix the grammar.

16.  Any suggestions on my future quests?

How about instaead of having me suggest them now, in this public survay where ideas can be copied, I tell you about them in private for EotM, which I have already done?

17.  Anything I missed?

Spellcheck.

View Post

Answers are in red bold.

#3 Freedom

Freedom

Warrior

• Members

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:02 AM

Did I finish
No

I got to the point where Link had to run across the falling floor tiles and jog in the middle.
After way too many attempts I decided there must be a speed issue between your computer and mine.

Up to that point I enjoyed very much, but I didn't believe I'd ever get past that point since I wasn't even getting close, short of cheating, and I just prefer not to go that route.

#4 System Error

System Error

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:07 AM

Yes.

Spirit Shrine. Season Isle is a close second, but the music kind of killed it.

Probably Blazing Inferno.

It was all right. I understood what was going on.

Yes.

The Commander.

Island Sorrow.

8. What did you think of the side quests like the Red Suit, the Link Statues, and bomb updates?
They were an excellent addition, but kind of short at times. In fact, they were always short. Things like the Red Suit were all right, and so were the Link Statues. The bombs upgrades seemed like more of a chore, though.

For sure.

After I got what was up with Fort Wolfbein, it was smooth sailing from there on out.

13. Do you think the side quests, side storylines, mini things (for example having to do things before you go the level) were a good thing or a bad thing?

No comment. I'll admit I chuckled when the Old Man pulled out the paddle, though. The humor was all right, though.

Don't make it. icon_razz.gif Seriously, the difficulty is fine as it is. I don't like those kinds of versions - they're boring compared to the original; especially after having played it once. And the new additions you could possibly add will not be worth it. If anything, make an update to the normal version as well.

Keep this up exactly how you've been doing it before, but learn from your mistakes. I liked the style of the quest well, it was nearly perfect. It's hard to satisfy me that way (many other quests just make me lose attention after a while). Also, the difficulty could be slightly increased, just to make things more interesting. I don't care what others say - a high difficulty makes things more satisfying in the end. icon_smile.gif

17. Anything I missed?
Like I said before, Season Isle's MIDI could be easily changed to Click Clock Woods from Banjo Kazooie, which has the seasons element as well. It also has MIDIs for all four seasons, which actually fit the level pretty well. Also, do a spelling and grammar check. icon_razz.gif

Edited by System Error, 28 June 2006 - 01:08 AM.

#5 NineLives

NineLives

Boom. Zoom. Dakota.

• Members

Posted 28 June 2006 - 01:41 AM

QUOTE(Shoelace @ Jun 27 2006, 09:09 PM)
Okay, when I sent my beta testers the last beta, I told them that soon I would send them a survey about HoD.  I put it off and put it off.  I now decided to write the survey, open to not only the testers, but everyone that completed the quest. 

So, if you want to help me, make better games, and have a better idea of what everyone thinks of my game, answer some or hopefully all of these questions:

yep

one with teh dodongo in it...

the last

yep, great.

sort of, but mostly no.

GANONDORF

dodongo, his rolling pisses me off...

8.  What did you think of the side quests like the Red Suit, the Link Statues, and bomb updates?

GREAT!

don't have one... technicly.

timed puzzles with blocks >_<

half-half... middle... between.

nope

13.  Do you think the side quests, side storylines, mini things (for example having to do things before you go the level) were a good thing or a bad thing?

GOOD THING

14.  What did you think of the humor in the game?

Good XD

15.  Any suggestions on the easier version of HoD I am going to make?

>_> Make smoother motions? Some were a little wierd. (motions in movement in some cutscenes)

16.  Any suggestions on my future quests?

GRAPHICS

17.  Anything I missed?

nope

--Shoelace

View Post

#6 Stray Sheep

Stray Sheep

Zero and Dorami

• Members

Posted 28 June 2006 - 03:30 AM

QUOTE(Shoelace @ Jun 28 2006, 03:09 PM)

Yes.

Level 4.

Level 8,last level.I dislike spike and lava traps. icon_cry.gif 

I'm not good at English,so I couldn't understand some parts of storyline.

No,but I think fan games's storyline don't have to fit in with actual stolyline.

Level 1's boss, I lke his(her) expressions. icon_thumbsup.gif

Level 8's. I dislike spike and... icon_cry.gif

I think Link Statues's side quests are great,but...

I don't like any puzzles...

Timed and spike puzzles. icon_cry.gif

I think  this quest is well-balanced before level8.

Some pauzzles are much harder than boss battles.

Does another Link's house have any secret?

View Post

Edited by Nameless, 28 June 2006 - 03:58 AM.

#7 Nathaniel

Nathaniel

Deified

• Forum Moderators

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:55 AM

Yes.

Level 7 - Isle of the Seasons

Level 1. I like the level a lot, but I only pick it because it wasn't as great as the other levels.

It was pretty good. I definitely understood it.

I didn't find a reason why it wouldn't, but that is based on my knowledge of only five Zelda games (not anything after OoT).

I believe it is the one in level 8, where you actually travel to different screens during parts of the battle.

King Dodongo

I enjoyed them. Side quests take you away from the routine, and is often something new. New is good.

The ones with the switch rooms in Level 4.

The timed block puzzles. You have to start over even after you succeeded once before.

Yes, but I hope for that.

Yes, but I hope for that.

They are definitely good things. They prevent your quest from being labelled as simply "Another Custom Quest".

You had me laughing, especially the one found in the Winter part of Level 7.

Fewer steps in the procedure to defeating the custom bosses, and damage should be reduced for situations where you would lose 4 or more hearts all at once.

Always try something new. Predictable is your enemy.

17. Anything I missed?
If I could ever think of something, I will let you know.

P.S. Your quest was truly magnificent. Suleyman would think so himself.

#8 Dark Emperor

Dark Emperor

Doyen(ne)

• Members

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:43 AM

Yes

My favorite level in "Hero of Dreams" is certainly level 7, Isle of Seasons. I really liked the fact that you had to change the seasons in order to progress in this dungeon, it was very interesting.

I don't really have a least favorite level.

The storyline of the "Hero of Dreams" was very good and I had no problems with understanding it.

In some way it could fit in the actual storyline, but not completely. However, if you ask me then this is not necessary for a fan-game.

The Commander was my favorite custom boss.

My least favorite custom boss is probably the boss of Island Sorrow, I remember that I've died there quit a lot.

I liked the side quests, the offer you the possibility to do other things while you're busy with the main quest.

My favorite puzzle in the "Hero of Dreams" is actually the season switching puzzle in level 7, the Isle of Seasons.

I don't really have a least favorite puzzle.

I don't think that the game was really hard if you look at the enemies, everything was quit balanced.

In the beginning the puzzles were pretty easy, but as I progressed through the game I saw that the puzzles became harder. You also introduced new puzzles in the newer dungeons.

That were definitely good things.

I think that you've succeeded in creating a game that also offers some humor. You really had me laughing.

I don't really think that you should create an easier version of the "Hero of Dreams". Those who are playing the game should remember this: "Even if you die for the tenth time in the same room, keep going and eventually you'll reach your goal. If you keep this in mind then you'll finish this quest." icon_smile.gif

Just continue with introducing new puzzles and other features to your quests. I already saw some interesting puzzles in your next quests.

17. Anything I missed?
No.

#9 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

ยท

• Members

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:05 AM

Yep. Had to request assistance a few times, but it was worth it. icon_razz.gif

I think that would have to be Level 5 - Spirit Shrine. I really enjoyed exploring three distinct themes within the same dungeon. That was just so cool. icon_wink.gif

I'm almost tempted to say Cerbat shrine because of its relative puzzle difficulty, but I thought it was extremely well crafted. Intricately so, really. I barely remember most of the levels at this point. I'll just say that level eight was the most frustrating because of a few of its nastier spike puzzles.

It was a wonderful storyline with an obvious intent.

Yeah, sure. o.o

Heh. King Dodongo was a crafty one. icon_razz.gif I'm amazed I didn't die at all when I reached that boss.

I would have to say the final boss was my least favorite because I never knew how to execute those moves you showed us how to do. They always failed. They failed more through my own ignorance of how to execute the move than from actually executing it poorly though.

Honestly, side quests like those make the quest up to seven times more interesting than it would have been otherwise. It really keeps your mind busy, and lets you think of other things besides "Where do I have to go now?" It's like, "Hey, I need to go to level six, wherever that is, but if I happen across it, then that's good, but I've got other things to worry about now! I mean this guy lost his dog! icon_eek.gif" ... lol heh.

I think Cerbat Shrine was my favorite "puzzle," in that it was ONE GIANT PUZZLE. icon_blah.gif The level was so utterly amazing crafted, I just couldn't believe it. It was BEYOND something that you'd see from a professional. I doubt I've ever seen something so intricately crafted in all my life. Besides, the sandblock puzzles were pretty unique too. (The one on the eastmost side was pure hell though.)

Anything involving water and water levels. ... oh, and shooting those silvery bugs. icon_razz.gif

A little bit yes, particularly at the end of the game. I thought the second to last boss was definitely, absolutely overdone, for a second to last boss. You've gotta give the player a chance.

Yep. MOSTLY in a good way, but there were a few puzzles which really stumped a lot of people. Like I said earlier, that third Cerbat shrine sandblock puzzle on the east side.

If they were a bad thing, may mod strike me dead where I sit.

A few corny jokes, and a few lame ones, ... but also a few great jokes, coupled with a few good ones. It was all over the place, really. I don't think it was trying too hard, but I don't think it was verying very hard at all. It did accomplish a few little bits of humor, but they could have been better.

IMHO, "humor" in a game involves taking a stereotypical role, acting on it as normal, but adding a slight deviation. Have you ever played Sabotage Dragoon by C-Dawg? There's a rather lengthy in-game cinematic involving Niloc raising the gate to the Moblin Keep. At the front gate, the watchmoblin sees the gate raising, and shouts over to his compatriote moblin, "Hey, did you let your pet gerbil escape again?" Note how they're still moblins, and still your enemy, and still have a very negative disposition toward you like any enemy would, and they're not interacting with the player / you on anything but an unfriendly level, ... but there's still room for some humor in there.

Well, make the bosses easier, for one. icon_razz.gif Make ALL Timed puzzles MUCH Easier, as well as block puzzles, ... make it so you only have to solve any given block puzzle once, ... Decrease the cost of shops, ... Decrease boss fireball count, (It wasn't that bad in the first place, actually, but it adds up, you know? icon_wink.gif )

... actually no. I can only see things getting better for you, Shoelace. icon_thumbsup.gif

17. Anything I missed?
The kitchen sink.

#10 CastChaos

CastChaos

Deified

• Members

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:21 AM

Yes, three times.

L5 Spirit Palace! I loved the idea of three different levels, I also like ghosts and magic as well as the mini bosses. I was hesitating to enter in fear of the girl's life... ...this was exciting!

L8 Hyrule Castle... It hasn't got the same feeling like the others... I almost gave it up there when first playing...

I understand it. It was very exciting and variety. Only complaint that NPC's gave few information for Link even when they promised before that they would give much detail. A neautral find: I thought from almost the beginning and it was obvious from L5 that... well... how to tell without spoiler... so you know, the thing about the "old guy".

Yes, it fits in the storyline that is explained in the intro. Most of the dungeons had LttP feeling and some places had WW/MM/OoT feelings.

The Scion Eye! It's so powerful, yet so sweetly gullible...

Spirit Mothula of L5... The moving floor made it a rush and made me want to finish this boss quickly...

They were fun and quite hard. It took me an hour to find Sandy in the Red Suit sidequest. Sometimes when I got through a hard cave and found out that there are only bomb upgrades at the end... I can't explain, lol.

The Glenn's house puzzle. So much people had problem with it, but I solved it quickly.

The L8 "fall down the hole first" west puzzle. How much times I tried and I couldn't solve it quickly even for a fourth walkthrough...

Mostly no, there always were an item, an alcove or something that helped.

Definitely! I was struggling at most puzzles even for the third play!

Definitaly good thing! I really enjoyed them. This lifted the game to an upper dimension: not the usual "go from dungeon to dungeon" thing, rather real life, like in LttP.

It was very funny! The "pregnant dream" and the "video camera" jokes were my favourites!

First of all, this game isn't as hard as most people say!!! Only these things should be corrected:
-L7 bosses are too hard. They are just *censored by spoiler*, not gods!
-L8 spike traps are too hard, Link neccessarily gets hit.
-L8 boss too hard. I know that he has "something", but even that "something" shouldn't make him so powerful.

Don't change style!!!!!! It's a common thing that somebody makes a super thing what everybody like, then another, then another and all are super... but suddenly s/he changes style for some reason ("I always planned this." "Those never were my style." "This will be better." etc) and people don't like that so much like the original style.

17. Anything I missed?
Lots of things, but you missed them at will and will hopefully put in HoD2 which is already my favourite game ever made. Not kidding.

#11 johnjoetombob

johnjoetombob

Initiate

• Members

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:49 PM

Yes.

Final level. I loved revisiting all of the old places once again in a tower-like element (even though it's been done before)

Cerbat. It was fun for a while, but it was too big, and having to revisit the eye rooms and go back through every time you died got annoying really quickly.

I understood it. The twist with the level 8 miniboss was awesome.

It felt so LTTP and LA it was awesome. The storyline and dungeons felt so much like real Zelda games.

Hot Head. It was at that point in the game that the Custom Bosses really began to amaze me. The rush feeling, and the emphasis on timing was great.

Island Sorrow.

They were good. Except that one Link statue with the Light/Dark warping; that was really annoying after a while, especially how you had to keep playing the flute in random places all over until you finally found where to go.

Water/lava puzzles, and spike puzzles in L8.

The flute Light/Dark LTTP statue warping puzzle. See question 8.

Yeah. I died a lot on enemies.

Of course! I had to ask so many times for help on puzzles.

Yes! It helped make it nonlinear and gave it more of a sandbox feel.

I don't remember much of it, considering I beat it a month ago. But I think it was pretty good, from what I can remember.

Make an exit point for the L8 Spike puzzles. Give more ingame hints on the harder puzzles.

What CastChaos said. And don't make them any easier.

17. Anything I missed?
Not that I can think of.

#12 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

The Legendary Sephiroth

• Members

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:12 PM

*Very important. If you haven't completed the game, then I won't care for it as much as the others. Why? Because, I need an overall idea of my game. If you stopped playing, tell me why you stopped playing.

Of course I finished the game. icon_smile.gif

Season Isle. icon_razz.gif I absolutely loved how you pulled it off.

The level in the Desert.. It just stumped me too much. lol

*by the way, I am not talking about the grammar, I am talking about the storyline.

Shoelace, you should've worked for Nintendo.

Yes.

The bosses in Level 5

Island Sorrow

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The moving platform over lava puzzles. icon_smile.gif

The Windmill. o.o

It was just right.

ZOMG! I LOVE THAT SHOELACE ACTION!

Definate plus to the storyline.

As Renkinjutsushi pointed out, the grammar was funny.. STEP ON THE STOMP

Tone the difficulty of the puzzles down.

As CastChaos said, Don't change your style!

17. Anything I missed?

Spell Check your strings next time. icon_smile.gif

Edited by Sephiroth, 06 July 2006 - 07:27 PM.

#13 Red Phazon

Red Phazon

Adept

• Members

Posted 19 July 2006 - 02:13 PM

Late post:

Yes

Cerbat Shrine, Season Isle and even Fort Wolfblin are second and third.

I don't know, I liked them all

Great, and it ends with a cliffhanger.

Yes

The Commander

I liked them all, but I didn't like how when King Dodongo uses his fire you have to die, or at least I did every time he did that, like five times.

I love side quests. I think some should be longer though.

Cerbat Shrine. (see what Shadow Tiger said, that is what I was thinking as I was playing through it.)

If the spike puzzle thing was slower then I would say none. Naru's Love helped there.

No, not too hard. I was just right for me.

No, but they made it fun.

It would be a bad thing if there were none. I don't like just going strait to dungeons.

Good, made it more fun too. I guess.

I also don't think there should be an easier version, but mabe a harder version. Well mabe not. It was the right difficulty for me.

New types of areas.

17. Anything I missed?

I'll just say: Deaths 39, Time: 21:38:30

#14 Shoelace

Shoelace

The Shaman of Sexy!

• Members

Posted 22 July 2006 - 11:47 PM

I want to thank everyone for writing in the survey. It is a going to help more than anyones thinks. Anyways, I noted a lot of things, so thank you guys. Also, I am going to make an easier version. However, it won't be that easy, it just won't be impossible in some parts anymore. But I guess everyone likes the side quests, so side quests will be on my next games, that is a promise.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users