Taking sprite requests

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#46 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 07 May 2021 - 06:11 PM

Can't you look in the ROM for these tiles? Unless the sprite is composed of multiple moving parts (i.e. the Darknuts with swords in Link's Awakening), you can rip Game Boy tiles pretty easily, I've found. Of course, you'd need a screenshot to colorize them, but that's easy and doesn't even apply to Rolan's Curse II.

#47 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors
  • Pronouns:She / Her

Posted 07 May 2021 - 06:46 PM

I think you're assuming other people have that skillset. I don't know anything about looking in ROMS, and while I used this tweet to get some of the bosses, I was only able to piece them together because I have a dedicated pixel art program that loves its 16x16-celled grids and bases features around them. (Other tiles...I found a 4K TAS video and the resolution was good enough to get shots in locations the TAS run visited, and some I actually played the game for.) If you have tutorials on the subject or are interested in taking bounties, you might get some interest.

Wtf that big flower's not blue, it's a rafflesia!

Edited by Ether, 07 May 2021 - 07:12 PM.

#48 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 08 May 2021 - 05:18 PM

i have 2 ideas. The first one well how about a young princess of zora or i dunno a black swordwoman ? The swordman would be inspired from Kirito from SAO. As for the second idea i wondering if you can make a mine like dungeon wall or maybe a dungeon wall entierly made of ice or volcanic rocks. Thoses dungeons walls would be a great choice for a mine/fire dungeon and a icy dungeon like for example a Glacial Tomb or the Erupted Forge as a dungeons quests X) 

So it's late, but I did do the ice wall. I have absolutely no idea how well it works and I'd take it as a favor if you (or anyone reading this) made a screen with it.

020_icewalls.png

(The last row is an animation that will make an individual wall tile shine. I'd strongly recommend not tiling entire walls with it, and making the first (shineless) frame last much longer than the rest of the animation. These tiles aren't symmetrical, so if you need it for other sides of the wall, you'll want to rotate instead of just flipping it.)

#49 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 08 May 2021 - 11:35 PM

I think you're assuming other people have that skillset. I don't know anything about looking in ROMS, and while I used this tweet to get some of the bosses, I was only able to piece them together because I have a dedicated pixel art program that loves its 16x16-celled grids and bases features around them. (Other tiles...I found a 4K TAS video and the resolution was good enough to get shots in locations the TAS run visited, and some I actually played the game for.) If you have tutorials on the subject or are interested in taking bounties, you might get some interest.

Wtf that big flower's not blue, it's a rafflesia!

I've found that you can just open game ROMS/.gb files like Link's Awakening DX in yy-chr/yy-chr.net and the application will detect the 2PPB Game Boy tile format. I can't remember which "pattern" you want to select or if you even need to select it at all, but just keep scrolling in the list until you start to recognize the tiles. Then use PgUp/PgDn or the scroll bar to browse through the tiles. If you see some good tiles and some garbage ones, you're good - the garbage is game code being interpreted as images. Here's a good tutorial on it:

http://randomhoohaas...m/ai/spriterip/

This page actually even goes on to point out a problem with Zelda 1's graphics and how to correct it.

#50 Sans

Sans

Hey kid wanna buy hot dogs ?

• Members

Posted 09 May 2021 - 06:32 PM

Actually about for the dungeon walls i've thinking about two things: The first one would be a "mine like" dungeon (like for example it's simply a caves walls tiles but with some stuffs that you finds in the mine such as shiny stones on the walls, the lanterns right in the walls, some lava flows in the wall rocks, and of course the woods on the wall that normally holds the mines walls and stuffs. And also the broken rails and the bomb wagon, and shiny stones wagons would be good for the mine style dungeon as well :) The second dungeon walls tiles would be a ancient ruines dungeons walls with symboles and runes on it to make it more ancient :) I don't know about the style of the floors tiles but let's say that an ruined one would do :) 

#51 TheManHimself

TheManHimself

Real Human Bean

• Members

Posted 14 May 2021 - 10:37 AM

I've been working on a suite of weapons based on classic kung-fu movies, and I'm in need of a Flying Guillotine that would fit in with the classic tileset. I've taken a couple of stabs at it, but they either come out too detailed, or half-baked.

BUcuBSS.jpeg

Edited by TheManHimself, 14 May 2021 - 10:39 AM.

• Matthew likes this

#52 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 14 May 2021 - 11:00 AM

I'm not taking Classic requests here, sorry.

#53 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 20 May 2021 - 07:40 PM

This is a bit of a crude edit but what if the big Darknut's sword looked lighter when it was flat and had more shadow when it's diagonal?

knY8i6m.png

Or perhaps instead of a flat blade, a ridged sword to make it seem heavier

QrqRUD9.png

• Jared likes this

#54 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 20 May 2021 - 08:06 PM

I don't think those specific edits work very well. (I can elaborate on that, if you want. I'm not sure how much pixel art jargon you're already familiar with. My gut instinct is to throw around terms like "pillow-shading" and "banding" and I don't know if those mean anything to you.) That's an execution problem, though; I think you could probably figure out a way to animate the sword shading without falling into those traps.

I'm not sure that that's something I actually want to do myself, though, if that's what you're asking for. There are reasons I might go back to the phantom set eventually, but I'm fairly happy with that sword as it is!

• P-Tux7 likes this

#55 P-Tux7

P-Tux7

💛

• Members

Posted 20 May 2021 - 10:48 PM

I don't think those specific edits work very well. (I can elaborate on that, if you want. I'm not sure how much pixel art jargon you're already familiar with. My gut instinct is to throw around terms like "pillow-shading" and "banding" and I don't know if those mean anything to you.) That's an execution problem, though; I think you could probably figure out a way to animate the sword shading without falling into those traps.

I'm not sure that that's something I actually want to do myself, though, if that's what you're asking for. There are reasons I might go back to the phantom set eventually, but I'm fairly happy with that sword as it is!

No problem

#56 Sans

Sans

• Members

Posted 21 May 2021 - 09:24 AM

heya i was wondering. Can ya make a under lava gear ? like this one for example

210521043413387242.png

Instead of waters it could be with lava or something like that. Don't worry it's a GB style ^^'

#57 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 21 May 2021 - 09:57 AM

Please send me a sheet of the gear when it's not underwater.

#58 Sans

Sans

• Members

Posted 21 May 2021 - 04:35 PM

Oh yes sorry about that. There.

210521114617971744.png
Just ignores the pole and the toothless gears ^^' there's the big one and the small one. 

Edited by Sans, 21 May 2021 - 04:36 PM.

#59 Ether

Ether

Pale Stranger

• Contributors

Posted 21 May 2021 - 06:07 PM

Can you send that again with a transparent background?

#60 Sans

Sans

• Members

Posted 21 May 2021 - 08:05 PM

there. Sorry about that ^^'

21052203170481596.png

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users