Photo

Screenshot of the Week 340

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
87 replies to this topic

Poll: ! (61 member(s) have cast votes)

!

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#1 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:20 PM

Nocturne
IPB Image
Would you like your link.... Burnt to a crisp?

Shane
IPB Image
If your name is not Rover, Fireblast124 or Pokemonmaster64 then chances are you can't Triforce

Fireblast124
IPB Image
The Element of Chocolate Rain is gonna be here forever.

Koh
IPB Image
What's with all the Kuraske Outskirts shots? Is Koh making a quest? The world may never know...

Yoshidude
IPB Image
Link takes his first steps into a new journey.

Pokemonmaster64
IPB Image
As link reaches the peak of Tribble Mountain on his path to reach a greater sense of self worth, he realizes how important this screen is. This screen is not just any run of the mill screen someone enters in a contest hoping to win. This screen doesn't need a terrible cliche caption telling something about Link and how he feels and stuff. No. This screen is awesome and prophetic. This screen validates Link's very existence.

William
IPB Image
These haters need to chill.

Feenicks
IPB Image
I can't think of something to put here.

Twilight_Knight
IPB Image
Hot Nargad is trying to stay cool.

CastChaos
IPB Image
Cool Nargad is trying to stay hot.

Rover
IPB Image
joke shots are old

#2 Moo2wo

Moo2wo

Yes, you're seeing this.

• Members

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:23 PM

Tough call between William and Twilight_Knight. Hmm...I think I'm going with William. It's a very nice winter shot.

#3 Rover

Rover

slam dunk

• Members

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:26 PM

Ebola Zaire, who's Fireflast124? icon_razz.gif

Anyways, Shane's screen is the best. I voted for him.

#4 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:28 PM

I voted for myself because it's not the norm and being not the norm is cool! icon_slycool.gif

#5 Adem

Adem

-

• Members

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:31 PM

Voted for William. The ice with the mountain kind of confuses me perspective-wise, but it was still the most appealing shot by my standards.

#6 Mero

Mero

Touch Fluffy Tail

• Banned

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:33 PM

Voted for yoshi dude for using the BS Tileset, which is one of my favorites. It just doesn't have diagonal walls. icon_unsettled.gif

#7 Feenicks

Feenicks

still the harpy guy

• Members

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:34 PM

Voted for William, even with the aforementioned ice weirdness.
I guess I just like the GB set a lot...

#8 Dawnlight

Dawnlight

My name is NOT Jason!

• Members

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:42 PM

Disqualified from my vote:
* Shane
* Fireblast124
* Rover

Nocturne (3/10) - No, no, no, and no. Just no. Heavy perspective issues and misuse of tiles.

Koh (6/10)
- Solid design above, but funky design with the water below. I smell perspective errors.

Yoshidude (8/10) - It's a very well-designed shot. I'm not a big fan of the shallow water structure on the left. Link starts a new journey huh? Make sure he stops at the Selhera Village first. icon_lol.gif

Pokemonmaster64 (6/10) - Average quality shot.

William (8/10)
- While the mountain perspective is funky, it's still the cleanest out of all of the participants. My vote goes here.

Feenicks (8/10) - An above average quality shot.

Twilight_Knight (7/10) - Excellent use of Pokemon mountains, but the ground could use more variety. I think you overdid the flowers.

CastChaos (7/10) - The elements of the screen work well, but it just doesn't seem comfortable for me.

#9 Mitchfork

Mitchfork

no fun. not ever.

• Members

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE(Rover @ Oct 9 2011, 01:26 PM) View Post
Ebola Zaire, who's Fireflast124? icon_razz.gif
I think he's a PERMANENT BAN. Don't you ever correct me again or I will destroy you. On the internet.

Nocturne
It's a bit hard to see what's going on, and the use of overhead tiles in a sideview perspective doesn't mesh well. I think you should make the background lava just a hair darker so that you can tell the difference between background and foreground more easily.

Shane
  ▲
▲ ▲

Fireblast24
Internet memes: truly the apex of humor.

Koh
Pretty good screen. My only complaint is the water borders, they don't make sense at all and really mess with the perspective.

Yoshidude
Nice design and manages a good amount of walkable space. While I like the BS tileset, this is pretty standard use that has been going on since before I joined the site. Perfectly fine in a quest, just not enough to earn my vote.

Pokemonmaster64
Really bad design. The screen has no flow from one end to the other (entering on the left/bottom side means you have to go all the way around that mountain) and the trees close to the edge are really bad as well.

William
Good design. Can't say I'm too much of a fan of using the mountains in that way, but it doesn't mess with the perspective that much and the games themselves did it. -30 points for using the word "haters."

Feenicks
The palette is nice, but you might want to change the colors on Link; it's getting hard to make him out against the grass. The other sprites are fine. Design-wise, this is a good classic-style shot. Might want to consider relying less on those 1-tile bushes, though.

Twilight-Knight
Nice screen; the palette doesn't really do it justice. I really like how you pulled off the elevation change on the right side of the screen; shame something similar couldn't have been done on the left side.

CastChaos
It's an alright dungeon screen. I don't really know the purpose of that platform, but maybe it would be more apparent in gameplay. The flow is also kind of bad because there's nothing that goes on at the left side of the top entrance, except for that one tile (which could be moved elsewhere in the room).

Rover
Your words, not mine.

----

Overall I think that Feenicks, Twilight_Knight, and William were the best three shots this week. I threw my vote for William.

#10 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:49 PM

Nocturne: Sorry, but I can't even really see what's going on here.

Shane: You can stack triangles. Congrats. Moving on to the real shots now.

Fireblast: If the NPC talking were Spike, you might be excused. But no. All you did was take the default cave and add a pony.

Koh: Finally, a shot I can actually consider voting for. I love it. No complaints whatsoever.

Yoshidude: It's a typical BS screen, not much to say. And no that's not an insult, you just happened to pick an unfortunate tileset name. icon_deformed.gif

Poke: It's decent, but nothing special. C'mon, you can do better than that.

William: What is this!? A joke shot that's actually well thought out, well design, and funny!? If only others could follow your example.

Feenicks: I like it, not much else to say.

Twilight Knight: Refer to my comments on Koh's screen. No complaints, at all.

CastChaos: What's the purpose of the platform suspended in air?

Rover: I'm gonna be a bit harsh here. The screen is s***. Utter s***. There's no thought that went into it, at all. It's not even remotely funny. It's the shining example of everything that is wrong with the joke shot trend. So please kindly stop. Come back when you learn how to actually put effort into a screen.

It's coming down to Koh and Twilight Knight for me. Both are exceptionally well designed and pleasing to look at. But in the end, I think I'm going with Koh. But great job to both of you, and too all of the other entrants who actually tried.

#11 Twilight Knight

Twilight Knight

Tell all with glee, Argon's on PureZC

• Members

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:57 PM

Even though I entered I voted for Feenicks, cause I think that one is just plain awesome.

Nocturne (you play LoL?) I think that the background doesn't fit there, since those tiles are meant for top view and here used in sideview. In this case it's better to leave it solid black than to add this background.

William's caption rocks.

That's all I had to say.

#12 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:07 PM

So many shots this week DX!

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Oct 9 2011, 02:42 PM) View Post

Koh (6/10)
- Solid design above, but funky design with the water below. I smell perspective errors.

Now that I see it again, the water DOES look pretty derp icon_doh.gif! Stupid LTTP water in an enhanced GBC based tileset icon_deformed.gif!

Nocturne (Grade: D-)
What in the world goes on here? I get it's a platform type persective, but jeez, there's stuff everywhere, and it's overall a very distracting screen. Also, snow and lava? The snow would melt before it even reached the lava icon_shrug.gif.

Shane (Grade: F)
I see the joke here. Derpy Triforce icon_deformed.gif! But next time, try doing a concept with an actual screen design. Link is standing in the Void for goodness sake; how the hell did he manage that? The world may never know...

Fireblast24 (Grade: F)
Uninteresting cave, ACTIVATE! Oh look, a pony.

Koh
Oh look, there I am!

Yoshidude (Grade: B-)
I actually like this icon_smile.gif. Feels like something is missing...maybe a few rocks in the water?

Pokemonmaster64 (Grade: D)
First of all, you have stuff too close to the edge of the screen from entry; two tiles minimum distance, please! Second, it looks like someone spilled pickle juice all over the world o-o.

William (Grade: B )
Solid GBC screen design. Not much else I can say.

Feenicks (Grade: D-)
Those mountains and shrubs look way out of place to be using with the Classic tiles. Major clashing here. Also, there's like no variation between the cliffs and shrubs -vs- the ground, so they kinda just meld into it.

Twilight-Knight (Grade: B+)
Lovin' this screen icon_smile.gif. Sprites look a bit bright for that pallete, but I don't think there's much you can do about that.

CastChaos (Grade: B+)
Awesome, I love how you handled the perspective here, but for some reason, that platform looks out of place; almost as if someone just pasted it there over the rest of the screen.

Rover (Grade: F)
I see the picture; it's a monster of sorts. But the screen itself is blegh and derp.

Nulled, of course, since I'm a participant, but the number of decent shots outweigh the ones that need work icon_smile.gif.

#13 Moosh

Moosh

Tiny Little Questmaker

• ZC Developers

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:10 PM

So it looks like not enough people picked up on the phallic shape of the mountains in my shot.

Take a look at it using the dirty half of your brains. icon_biggrin.gif I'm so mature!

Edited by Pokemonmaster64, 09 October 2011 - 02:11 PM.

#14 Koh

Koh

Tamer Koh

• Members

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE(Pokemonmaster64 @ Oct 9 2011, 03:10 PM) View Post

So it looks like not enough people picked up on the phallic shape of the mountains in my shot.

Take a look at it using the dirty half of your brains. icon_biggrin.gif I'm so mature!

I see what you did there, ROFL. I wonder if that'll get taken down xD.

#15 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:13 PM

Did we say we didn't notice it? We just didn't comment on it. Because we're more mature than you. I don't have a dirty part of my brain. That part's made of solid gold. It's a little dusty, but...

I was supposed to slip a joke in there somewhere. Oh well. Point is, just cuz people don't point out something doesn't mean they don't see it. icon_razz.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users