Eya's Song

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 01:02 AM

Ok. Some of you read a week ago that Realms was being put on hold. I also said I was starting a new project. Well, this is it.

Praethus is proud to present: Eya's Song

This will be my first completed quest, and yes, I will complete it. Right about here, I'm supposed to give some information, I guess.

The quest begins with Link and Zelda washing up on shore of a new land. As Link lies there unconcsious, Zelda is carried away by strange people. When Link wakes he finds out that Zelda has been kidnapped by the Dark Lord Korik. In order to rescue her, though, Link must find a way to enter Korik's tower and defeat him. For this, he must know Eya's Song. Eya lived many years ago, and it is said that her Song holds many different powers. However, over the years, the Song has been forgotten. One girl in the village, a descendant of Eya, happens to know the locations where Link can learn the 8 pieces of Eya's Song to rescue Zelda.

The quest will feature 8 main dungeons, plenty of side stuff, and a couple of neat plot twists.

Eya's Song also has one major feature, that might make some of you very excited. The soundtrack is going to be completely new and custom. Every midi in the game is being composed by Espilan. After hearing some of the work he has already completed for Eya's Song, I can say, I'm very glad I asked him to do this. The guy is a genius. Soon, I may post a sample of his work, so you can listen. For now, all I have is some screenshots of the beach where Link wakes and the village.

user posted image user posted image
user posted image

As always comments/questions/suggestions are always welcome. You can PM me, post here, find me in chat, or on AIM or MSN.

#2 Fluttershy

Fluttershy

Snip snip!

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 01:10 AM

Interesting color choices, hot pink Octoroks, purple chimneys, red and purple trees, what's next? Can't wait to see the dungeons. icon_razz.gif

All in all, looks nice.

#3 Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Legend

• Site Creator

Posted 10 January 2005 - 01:18 AM

I like the palette. I like the screens. I like the music you let me hear. This is going to be a good quest. icon_biggrin.gif

#4 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:23 AM

Hey, nice title. And the story concept sounds good, too. It sounds like you are using a scenario method similar to Link's Awakening... good choice; it works well. icon_smile.gif

I am also a sucker for musically-themed games, which may be obvious by now if you know anything about DoR.

Your screens look good, but I think some of the colors in it are simply way too bright. Those purple and red colors might even be intense enough to cause major color bleeding if captured in a JPEG. All of the colors are just great if you'd only tone them down.

Pink oktoroks? Now that I think about it, that is appropriate. That's how they are in OoT.

#5 Exate

Exate

~

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 02:01 PM

Nice screens, Prae. I'm quite fond of these dark colors, most definitely. The only gripe I have is Link's hat. icon_razz.gif

So.. that's what was with Esp's sig about a "project" for you. You must know though... people CAN take the MIDIs from your quest with the ZC player... so you might want to ask Esp to edit the MIDI info for each song to say "Made especially for Praethus's quest, Eya's Song." or something similar.

Other than that, good lookin' so far. icon_smile.gif

#6 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 02:15 PM

Yes, I know people can take the midis, and Espilan and I are going to release them with the quest anyway. Might as well share something good with the rest of the world.

#7 Neppy

Neppy

Grand Overlord Empress

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 03:15 PM

Hey Praethus, that looks awesome dude. I hope this quest isn't too huge of project. Love the pallette. I can't wait to hear the music. Good luck.

#8 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

!~~ah~~ha~~!

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 05:01 PM

Hm.. The Midis will be excellent, I can tell you that much. The plot has a lot of room to be absolutely outstanding beyond the shadow of a doubt. I hope you can fit in some good ol' literary foreshadowing and symbolization. People LOVE that in a quest. icon_wink.gif

But I really have to be honest with you, man. From the moment I had seem the palletes, I felt a pang of ... something awful in my stomach.

Again, I must be honest. I just don't like the palletes. The colors themselves sicken me. I mean that literally. It's no fault of your own, rest assured. You may like them a lot, and others may like them too, and I very much don't want them to change if that is the case. But It was a bit of a struggle to find the right colors for the project you had asked me for recently. And I'm not sure how far you are in to what you're doing to change them.

If you really like the colors, please stick with them. And if you do decide to let me do spritework for you after my embarrassing confession, I would be glad to, and I will still do my best to find the right combination of whatever colors I can find, and do my best to make them work for you, no matter what it takes.

But really, Praethus, what made you decide to pick this specific variation of color? I .... I guess it just feels different from realms. user posted image It is a very drastic change.

#9 /M/

/M/

6♣7♠8♥9♥10♥

• Members

Posted 10 January 2005 - 07:26 PM

Looks good icon_thumbsup.gif And the palletes are good also

#10 Espilan

Espilan

Peahat.

• Members

Posted 11 January 2005 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE(Praethus @ Jan 10 2005, 03:15 PM)
Yes, I know people can take the midis, and Espilan and I are going to release them with the quest anyway.  Might as well share something good with the rest of the world.

On the topic of music:

My progress recently has been somewhat slow...
I've gotten ideas every so often, and I usually go to hit some notes on my keyboard in trying to determine if I can work with a given idea or not. I'm starting to be rather picky about what I try to do now, as I want this to be my best work in comparison to most of my older work.

By the way, Prae, I have a cave theme ready to go. This one is more suited to quiet and/or water-themed areas, so I may do a second one for others. If I'm still on when you return tonight (1/11), then I can try to send it through AIM.

#11 skateboarder11

skateboarder11

Adept

• Members

Posted 12 January 2005 - 09:53 PM

The screenshots look good, except the palettes. Good colors, but FAR too bright.

#12 ShadowTiger

ShadowTiger

!~~ah~~ha~~!

• Members

Posted 12 January 2005 - 10:10 PM

... Hm ... It's a bit drastic, but I have a few suggestions for your palletes, Praethus. Specifically the non-"Main" colors in your screenshots.

The Pure Set has three Csets in each overworld, each of them with the same "Brown" colors. Would it be possible to make each of those brown colors different? One would be relatively "light-sand"-colored, one of them would be normal-Pure-Cliff colored, (Not like in your screenshots.) And the third would be the color of the rock that the plant is buried in, near the octoroks. That's a great rock color. But the cliffs sort of look ... strange, like they're "too dark to belong." It's strange.

But if you had three choices of brown, you would have much more freedom here.

Also, the regular grass looks a bit too bright, sort of like it's about to start glowing.

#13 Praethus

Praethus

Lord of the Darkness

• Members

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:24 PM

My palettes have 5 colors of brown in every CSet in the main palette. But I'l llook into it. I'm not gonna change any palettes until after people have played the demo.

#14 Exate

Exate

~

• Members

Posted 20 January 2005 - 10:51 PM

When will a demo be ready, Praethus?

#15 link3505

link3505

Ancient

• Members

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:11 AM

I saw those purple and blue flowers, and my eyes started to hurt. that's a sign of a good pallete icon_aggravated.gif

I can't wait to play this game, even with the smashed Link tiles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users