Photo

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

• Please log in to reply
1333 replies to this topic

#31 The Satellite

The Satellite

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.

• Members
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:46 PM

QUOTE(Mariolink263 @ Jun 16 2010, 12:33 AM) View Post
I have one thing to say. I hope they don't use the bow and arrows Motion Control from Wii Sports Resort. That would be a huge pain.
I think they are, actually. Not entirely certain on that one. Didn't really get to see much in the way of bow controls yet.

#32 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:49 PM

Well, I would like to say that those trees were fugly. Good god, they look like crap. They are all boxy and polygonal. They look like they are made of paper.

And overall, the game looks nice, but not impressive. A little disappointing so far.

I am all for having a painterly, "impressionistic" art style, but what I have seen so far is just not good enough.

#33 Siguy

Siguy

�

• Members

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:17 AM

I hate that they're restricted having to use an oil paint style just to make it look good on the Wii's ****ty hardware. If Nintendo were to start publishing their games on decent platforms other than their own casual console, we could have a Zelda game with practically photorealistic graphics. I hate to be continuously comparing Zelda to FPS's, but just take one look at CryEngine 3 and well... cry. Seriously, imagine a Zelda game on the Source engine, let alone Crytek. Nintendo is a first party developer. Software on the Wii should be left to third parties, so that Nintendo themselves can start making truly innovative games for today's market, rather than being stuck in 2001 like they are now.

#34 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:31 AM

QUOTE(Daemon @ Jun 15 2010, 11:12 PM) View Post

I feel exactly the opposite about gaming. I'd rather be active while doing it. If it was possible, I'd want to feel everything along the road (of course, only to some extent. I wouldn't want to feel a sword going through my gut.) I'm fine with games either way, but being active while playing a game makes it a little more fun for me.

I see no point in this. If I'm active while gaming, I might as well go do something active.

#35 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:35 AM

Can we please stop ranting about the graphics quality? Nobody wants to hear it, and I'm fairly certain those who disagree also don't really give a damn. In fact, I don't give a damn. I think the graphics look good, and, even though I understand how others won't, I'm sick of all this "OH WTF IS WRONG WITH THOSE GRAPHICS THEY LOOK LIKE PAPER LULZ." You're probably the same guys who slam WW's graphics, so this next statement probably won't matter, but WW's graphics were fairly similar to this, and that was a hell of a great game.

Debate is unavoidable, since there're always the two sides that scream for realism vs. colorful, but debate can be done in a mature manner. So far, I'm not seeing any maturity in your posts, and I'm not singling out anybody. But right now, I'm fairly certain nobody wants to hear about how Nintendo should or shouldn't become a third-party developer like SEGA ended up. Right now, this topic is for one purpose and one purpose only: To discuss the upcoming Legend of Zelda game, subtitled "Skyward Sword." It is alright to express displeasure with the game, but the last thing people want to read is a huge, negative rant about how you feel Nintendo should be run. So please, be a little more mature in the future, okay?

#36 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

apparently the game was pushed back to next year?

QUOTE(Sir Evan @ Jun 16 2010, 09:20 AM) View Post
So I guess the controls do work better than Miyamoto's demonstration showed. Seems reassuring. Also, I'm digging the new map, it looks like it might actually be useful for once.

...Come to think of it, why do we have both the slingshot and the bow? Didn't TP prove the bow to render the slingshot obsolete?
The Slingshot likely doesn't injure as many enemies as a Bow and Arrow, just like in OoT and MM.

Edited by franpa, 16 June 2010 - 12:37 AM.

#37 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

QUOTE(Molten Onyx @ Jun 15 2010, 10:31 PM) View Post

I see no point in this. If I'm active while gaming, I might as well go do something active.

I actually like the idea of moving while I'm playing. Heck, if the game doesn't have motion controls, I normally run on the treadmill while I play it. The more I move, the better. icon_razz.gif

Of course, there is a limit. Imagine if it had you stand on the Wii Balance Board and run in place to move. icon_razz.gif

#38 The Satellite

The Satellite

• Members

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE(franpa @ Jun 16 2010, 01:35 AM) View Post
apparently the game was pushed back to next year?
If there was a release date before, it was just a rumor. They officially revealed it to be released in 2011. Could get pushed back though. Wouldn't be the first time. Or the second.

#39 Jupiter

Jupiter

Apprentice

• Members

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:38 AM

QUOTE(Siguy @ Jun 16 2010, 12:17 AM) View Post

I hate that they're restricted having to use an oil paint style just to make it look good on the Wii's ****ty hardware. If Nintendo were to start publishing their games on decent platforms other than their own casual console, we could have a Zelda game with practically photorealistic graphics. I hate to be continuously comparing Zelda to FPS's, but just take one look at CryEngine 3 and well... cry. Seriously, imagine a Zelda game on the Source engine, let alone Crytek. Nintendo is a first party developer. Software on the Wii should be left to third parties, so that Nintendo themselves can start making truly innovative games for today's market, rather than being stuck in 2001 like they are now.

Will, I think that the "impressionistic" painting style is a brilliant concept, I don't need or really want "photorealistic" graphics. But! But, but, but, I wish they were doing stylized graphics on a modern console...because from what I have seen they graphics are barely passable. Some stuff just looks like garbage (the trees!).

Nintendo can't stick with this console much longer. Time for a new console.

#40 Geoffrey

Geoffrey

Chosen One

• Members

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:40 AM

QUOTE(Jupiter @ Jun 16 2010, 12:38 AM) View Post

Agreed, we've had almost the same amount of new DS's in the last year then Mario games in the past decade. We need a new console! No more freakin handhelds!

#41 Nicholas Steel

Nicholas Steel

Hero of Time

• Members

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:46 AM

QUOTE(Jupiter @ Jun 16 2010, 03:38 PM) View Post

Will, I think that the "impressionistic" painting style is a brilliant concept, I don't need or really want "photorealistic" graphics. But! But, but, but, I wish they were doing stylized graphics on a modern console...because from what I have seen they graphics are barely passable. Some stuff just looks like garbage (the trees!).

Since trees are a decoration, they are probably low priority and will be updated very late in the development cycle etc., the game is slated for 2011 so there's tons of time for them.

editL just look at the item selection interfaces, the interfaces very likely aren't finished yet as they are butt ugly.

Edited by franpa, 16 June 2010 - 12:57 AM.

#42 Christian

Christian

Summoner

• Members

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE(The Satellite @ Jun 16 2010, 01:35 AM) View Post

Can we please stop ranting about the graphics quality? Nobody wants to hear it, and I'm fairly certain those who disagree also don't really give a damn. In fact, I don't give a damn. I think the graphics look good, and, even though I understand how others won't, I'm sick of all this "OH WTF IS WRONG WITH THOSE GRAPHICS THEY LOOK LIKE PAPER LULZ." You're probably the same guys who slam WW's graphics, so this next statement probably won't matter, but WW's graphics were fairly similar to this, and that was a hell of a great game.

Debate is unavoidable, since there're always the two sides that scream for realism vs. colorful, but debate can be done in a mature manner. So far, I'm not seeing any maturity in your posts, and I'm not singling out anybody. But right now, I'm fairly certain nobody wants to hear about how Nintendo should or shouldn't become a third-party developer like SEGA ended up. Right now, this topic is for one purpose and one purpose only: To discuss the upcoming Legend of Zelda game, subtitled "Skyward Sword." It is alright to express displeasure with the game, but the last thing people want to read is a huge, negative rant about how you feel Nintendo should be run. So please, be a little more mature in the future, okay?

Thank you TS. You summarized my thoughts in one paragraph. I think the graphics looks beautiful and colorful. It's not all about graphics people.

#43 Radien

Radien

Courage

• Members

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:55 AM

QUOTE(Molten Onyx @ Jun 15 2010, 07:52 PM) View Post
Also, I'd say this defeats the purpose of gaming. If I seriously want to swing a sword around, I'll go have a wooden sword fight with one of my friends. I play video games because they allow me to do something active, while being lazy.

The purpose of gaming is to be lazy?...

While I sometimes enjoy games that require no physical effort, I also enjoy games that tire me out like Dance Dance Revolution. I also own a WiiFit.

So I'm sorry, I don't agree. Just because video games were originally not very motion-intensive doesn't mean they were meant to always be that way. They are simply meant to be fun, in whatever way they choose. As long as the control motions aren't uncomfortable, I will enjoy them. And players have proven that the Wii remote and nunchuk do not strictly require any significant amount of motion to use. Wild motions are optional (and sometimes detrimental).

It's been tested before: racing games with steering wheels and targeting games with gun peripherals ARE fun. A game with swordfighting that uses the improved Wii remote motion is a perfectly good idea. In fact, it's been a long time coming.

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Jun 15 2010, 08:02 PM) View Post
I think Skyward Sword looks amazing. It looks like Red Steel 2 Zelda style and you know how great the controls were in that game.

Unless Red Steel 2 was 10x better than Red Steel 1 in that regard, I'm not very impressed, having tried Red Steel 1... but regardless, I hope SS improves on it even more.

QUOTE(Dawnlight @ Jun 15 2010, 08:02 PM) View Post
There's one thing Nintendo should implement. The ability to have an optional classic controls system if one is not satisfied with the Motion Plus controls.

Not gonna happen. Control compatibility limits gameplay design. What would OoT be like if it had a digital gameplay option?

I am happy putting my trust in their ability to make it work, just like when Zelda originally went to 3D with OoT.

QUOTE(Eppy @ Jun 15 2010, 08:10 PM) View Post
I would hope they supply a Wii Motion Plus. We rarely get any of those in at work anymore(Like 0-1 a week)

They wouldn't include it for free, but if you mean you hope they have a package deal, I'd have to agree.

QUOTE(Sir Evan @ Jun 16 2010, 09:20 AM) View Post
...Come to think of it, why do we have both the slingshot and the bow? Didn't TP prove the bow to render the slingshot obsolete?

You didn't use the slingshot after you got the bow? Then you were wasting arrows. It was nice of them to let you keep the slingshot after getting the bow. Bonus ammo for hitting switches and killing minor enemies like bats.

QUOTE(Christian @ Jun 15 2010, 10:56 PM) View Post
Thank you TS. You summarized my thoughts in one paragraph. I think the graphics looks beautiful and colorful. It's not all about graphics people.

I agree. Hence why I haven't voiced a reply to any of the latest graphics opinions. It is what it is -- anyone can look at the screenshots and videos and decide whether they like it or not. Debate is unhelpful.

#44 Sheik

Sheik

Deified

• Members

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:33 AM

Oh my, it seems to be such a great title. The whole "living in the sky"-deal and than further this wonderful, impressionistic landscapes... THAT is one amazing graphical style (okay, Link's tunic's colour sucks, but besides it's sheer awesomeness). Everything looks so magical. That's how I like my Zeldas. :O

#45 Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

Eddard McHorn Van-Schnuder

smash the bye button

• Members

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:05 AM

QUOTE(Radien @ Jun 16 2010, 08:55 AM) View Post

The purpose of gaming is to be lazy?...

While I sometimes enjoy games that require no physical effort, I also enjoy games that tire me out like Dance Dance Revolution. I also own a WiiFit.

So I'm sorry, I don't agree. Just because video games were originally not very motion-intensive doesn't mean they were meant to always be that way. They are simply meant to be fun, in whatever way they choose. As long as the control motions aren't uncomfortable, I will enjoy them. And players have proven that the Wii remote and nunchuk do not strictly require any significant amount of motion to use. Wild motions are optional (and sometimes detrimental).

It's been tested before: racing games with steering wheels and targeting games with gun peripherals ARE fun. A game with swordfighting that uses the improved Wii remote motion is a perfectly good idea. In fact, it's been a long time coming.

Unless Red Steel 2 was 10x better than Red Steel 1 in that regard, I'm not very impressed, having tried Red Steel 1... but regardless, I hope SS improves on it even more.

Not gonna happen. Control compatibility limits gameplay design. What would OoT be like if it had a digital gameplay option?

I am happy putting my trust in their ability to make it work, just like when Zelda originally went to 3D with OoT.

They wouldn't include it for free, but if you mean you hope they have a package deal, I'd have to agree.

You didn't use the slingshot after you got the bow? Then you were wasting arrows. It was nice of them to let you keep the slingshot after getting the bow. Bonus ammo for hitting switches and killing minor enemies like bats.

I agree. Hence why I haven't voiced a reply to any of the latest graphics opinions. It is what it is -- anyone can look at the screenshots and videos and decide whether they like it or not. Debate is unhelpful.
It was icon_wink.gif

I don't think Nintendo is mimicking Red Steal though. According to several people who have played the game, the controls works great. I saw a video of the Kotaku editor playing it, and he had no problems at all, which really made me happy. It looked just as good, if not even better than the TP Wii controls. And for anyone of you who wants to bash the TP Wii controls, think it over once more... they weren't bad. You would never die because of poor control... they were spot-on in my opinion, even though I felt more comfortable using the GC controller... that's just a matter of getting used to it though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users