Photo

[POLL] 24 Hour Quest Contest - Quests

Contest

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

Poll: 24 Hour Quest Contest Poll

Best Overall

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Most Creative

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

Best Mechanics

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:He / Him

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:03 AM

We're allowing it because to me, there's so many exploits with that rule (who's to say the tileset wasn't imported to a default quest file?) that I think removing it would be unfair at this point.

That said, I wish I had thought of the exploits... I would of took advantage of them too. I know, contest host of the year 2017. :P

---

I haven't finished all the entries myself yet but I want to give some thoughts:

Story of 24 Hours:

• I love the minimalist approach here, it adds a unique style.
  • The items are fairly unique.
  • Design is solid and enhanced classic graphics were nice.
  • It's a little too small for my tastes but still solid.
The Tail of the Dragon Slayer
  • The system reminds me of Breath of the Wild in ways, it's a very enjoyable mechanic.
  • Screen design is nice.
  • Exploration seemed pretty flat and boring though.
The Moblin Question
  • It was something. :P

Anemoi

• I really enjoyed this one which I think was a given.
  • The amount of effort put into this is amazing.
  • My only complaint would be the ending, felt anti climatic, but it was to be expected.

Redemption

• I love the examine mechanic here.
  • The atmosphere and music is nice.
  • It felt open despite being short.
  • The shortness was kind of hit or miss though, slightly on the miss side for me.
Eternal Curse
  • A quest inspired by my quest. This is clearly the best entry here.
  • OK no.
  • But seriously, I loved the first item and the puzzles with it were great!
  • Music is interesting too.
  • But it felt more like a demo, but ah well.

I will do the other entries soon.

• Avaro and Gouanaco like this

#17 Architect Abdiel

Architect Abdiel

Kingdom Builder

• Members

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:54 AM

Story of 24 Hours (finished):
Simple is good. I can say I liked it. Even if I can't call it my favorite, it's solid and I can't complain. The item was nice.

Tail of the Dragon Slayer (finished):
I would like to the this idea expanded on in a full quest.

What You Deserve (30 minutes in):
Shame on you! I was going through the quests and your full, polished quest kept me going til the point I was tired of sitting in my chair. I like the names of the areas, and this is probably my favorite right now.

The Moblin Question (finished):
Short, simple. It was as Polaris said, something.

Anemoi (started):
I got through the first area and saved it to try the other quests. This one could take over WYD as my favorite. So far very enjoyable.

Redemption (started):
I started and died by running into a thing in the dark. I'll have to come back when I feel like getting out of bed.

faster (started):
The design initially doesn't appeal to me, but I am going to try it again later.

Eternal Course (started):
I ran into a thing in the waterway while having no weapon. I'll come back to this later too.

So far my favorite is either What You Deserve or Anemoi.
  • Gouanaco likes this

#18 Deedee

Deedee

Bug Frog Dragon Girl

• Moderators
  • Pronouns:She / Her, They / Them

Posted 29 March 2017 - 09:57 PM

Okay, is Anemoi's final boss even possible to beat on Difficult mode? Cause it seems the entire boss was designed around tanking it in normal mode, what with the meteors that spawn on top of you without any way to dodge them, the rand direction ice spikes, and the boss spamming an attack that turns parts of the floor into slow walk while I'm trying to remove the slow walk tiles. 

#19 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:07 AM

From what I've seen, a decent strategy is to play fairly conservatively for the first part of the fight, only to unload like crazy with fire magic when he reaches the 30% mark and goes into his hyper mode. Just keeping part of the stage unfrozen is all that's necessary for the first part, but once the second phase hits you really need to up your rate of fire with ... fire.

#20 Eppy

Eppy

Alisa~

• Members

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:15 AM

yes, I have proven that it's possible on difficult, though hard. I found the double battle harder...

The meteors on Phase 1 are easy to dodge. when you see one rushing in, there's always 2 at the same time right after.

As far as the things spawning projectiles, try to move far away from them to get more reaction time if one shoots an icicle your way.

Edited by Eppy, 30 March 2017 - 05:23 AM.

#21 CimFighter

CimFighter

CimFam/Writer

• Members

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:54 AM

Story of 24 Hours (finished):

Very simple and good for something to kill time. I liked it.

Tail of the Dragon Slayer (finished):

I like this concept, we should have more like this. Be very watchful of your items like the fire and float.

What You Deserve (finished)

Going in I was not expecting much but I definitely liked the idea of how this quest was made. It was fun. Not the best, not the worst.

The Moblin Question (finished):

Pretty much on point with Polaris, it's something. Although I can see quests where you have to kill a certain amount of enemies or get a certain amount of items to complete a task.

Anemoi (finished)

Definitely the hardest but most fun quest. It's tricky tho. I played on Relaxed and I still died a bunch. LOL.

Redemption (finished):

TBH my least favorite. It had some moments but it's not something I wanna replay.

faster (finished)

This was OK. I tried to feel enthralled enough with this but I just couldn't get the vibe. My 2nd least fave.

Eternal Course (finished)

This is kinda cool tbh. I think it was pretty solid. I liked the boss fight you had there. Pretty good.

Anemoi is my fave, followed by What You Deserve. I put Eternal Course and Tail Of Dragonslayer 3rd and 4th

Edited by CimFighter, 30 March 2017 - 08:55 AM.

#22 Shane

Shane

💙

• Moderators

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:12 AM

Announcement: Polls have been added. We decided to go with three categories so vote away!

• Gouanaco, Joelmacool and CimFighter like this

#23 Gouanaco

Gouanaco

Death Knight

• Members

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

In addition everyone can now comment with there guesses for the authors of each quest! :)

Edited by Gouanaco, 30 March 2017 - 10:41 AM.

• Shane and CimFighter like this

#24 Anthus

Anthus

Lord of Liquids

• Members

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:48 AM

Has anyone made a video of these yet?

#25 Naru

Naru

Magus

• Members

Posted 30 March 2017 - 01:28 PM

I would guess - Story: Avataro, Moblin: Russ, WYD: Lüt, faster: strike, Eternal Curse: Anthus, Anemoi: not Aevin, haven't finished the other two yet, Flag: Dimentio and Evan20000. It would help to know which 8 submitted btw.

Edited by Naru, 30 March 2017 - 04:33 PM.

• Anthus and Avaro like this

#26 Eppy

Eppy

Alisa~

• Members

Posted 30 March 2017 - 04:24 PM

Flag: Dimentio and Evan 2000.

I think you're missing a digit.

#27 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:02 PM

yes, I have proven that it's possible on difficult, though hard. I found the double battle harder...

I actually agree. The game had a bad case of the Hitodamas. Seine and Loire 2.0, Moosh called it.

Has anyone made a video of these yet?

Eppy streamed all of them, so they're on his twitch channel.

Anyways, here's my thoughts on all the entries.

Story of 24 Hours - So I have to admit, I honestly thought it was just fishing til I saw somebody stream it. I need to go give this one a replay now. But yeah, indication that there's more than just fishing would've been cool.

Dragon Slayer - Really cool concepts here. Just needed a final boss that actually needs all those weapons you've been stockpiling. :P

What You Deserve - It was a solid quest, I guess. I'm amazed at how much you were able to do in the time limit. With that said, I wasn't a huge fan of some of the design. The overworld was a tad empty, and the dungeons were pretty straightforward. Graphically though, I really liked the dungeons and the docks area of the overworld. Also the final level entrance string was great.

The Moblin Question - This quest is beautiful. You are beautiful.

Capture the Flag - And here we have the third entry about racism. Huh, running theme. While some of the jokes were a bit much, it was funny as a whole (ladder sequence especially) and had some really cool mechanics (I loved the random battles).

Anemoi - It's a quest inspired by my favorite quest. Is there any doubt that I'd like it? :P Like I mentioned above, it's got some balance issues (especially on difficult, which seemed like a bit of an afterthought), but overall, don't care more Yuurei.

Redemption - I really liked the ideas here. It just suffers from being too short. But I've never seen this kind of quest done before.

faster - Gotta say I wasn't a fan of this one. I really liked some of the ideas (like the wrapping overworld), but it also had some stuff that I'd frankly just consider really bad design (the darknut at the end leaps to mind). A bit of a mixed bag.

Youth/Eternal Curse - Ho man. This one would've been my absolute favorite if it weren't so short. I loved the atmosphere and I loved the item. The mechanics on it were fantastic; I didn't quite figure out where the ice would appear if I shot it in certain places, but it always showed up where I wanted it. The boss fight had a little too much HP, but it intrigued me. Please finish this. Please.

Anyways, now for my guesses. Putting them in spoilers because I'm decently certain I've got most of them correct (half of them I'm absolutely certain I'm right, the other ones I'm fairly confident):

Spoiler

• Anthus, Shane, Avaro and 3 others like this

#28 Aevin

Aevin

• Members

Posted 30 March 2017 - 05:18 PM

I already commented on a few, but I haven't given any guesses. So here we go ...

Whodunnit

• Avaro and Deedee like this

#29 Lüt

Lüt

Germanize

• Members

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:00 PM

OK, finally getting started...

Story of 24 hours:

Interesting ideas here. I've seen NPCs fishing before, but I don't think I've ever been the fisherman myself. It took a while to realize the exclamation point meant I should press the button again to pull something up. I'm presuming the fishing function is random rather than combo based, given I could occasionally get different results in the same spot.

Then getting taken on a ride by a Zora was definitely not what I expected. The dungeon was fair enough by Classic standards. I liked the Ice Hammer idea. I don't think I've ever seen water tiles used as pound combos that change to ice. Clever thinking when the default go-to for a thing like that would be some kind of script.

It's worth noting the player can get semi-stuck in the doorway because the outsides of the doorframe tiles by the edges of the screen are fully walkable rather than partially walkable. (Screen / Screen.) Also, use Flag 96 to keep Keese out of blocked areas so players don't have to wait a minute for them to fly within stabbing range.

It would have been amusing if, after dying, there was a dialog box saying "death."

Overall: fun, if not very memorable.

The Tail of the Dragon Slayer:

For a proof-of-concept, I'd say there's a strong concept to work with.

Story's straight and to the point... actually, most everything is straight and to the point at the moment heh. If you're going to expand the story, I'd say spread it out through the game rather than lengthen the intro text. Some people just like to get going, and what you've got now is enough to give the context without driving them away.

Layout seems standard for a Classic/GB hybrid, but I like that you're giving different areas different distinctions. Exterior house graphics are questionable at best, but I get it, proof of concept.

Item changes are... intriguing. Not too hard to figure out despite no documentation. I've actually been wanting to figure out how to turn certain continual-use items to counter-based items, like you did with the candle, for a while now (just never got around to asking). I think the change can be a good idea if implemented correctly, which you seem to be doing. Limiting the Roc's Feather-based item is probably the prime scenario where you want to force the player to use it thoughtfully, while at the same time making sure they don't get stranded in the middle of a complicated jumping puzzle, especially one where failing lands them back at the start.

Also, I'm sure this was because of the time constraints, but be sure to organize dialogue box text by full words, or at least syllables with proper line-break hypenations, not... this.

Overall: looking forward to seeing this expanded into a full quest.

The Moblin Question:

Uh oh... I just became the bad guy, didn't I?

And I swore that Generic NPCs was going to be the last time I let that happen :(

Anyway, amusing little deviation. I knew we had some coders entering, so those new Moblin attacks shouldn't have taken me as by-surprise as they did, but that first one that jumped right up off the screen almost made me jump a bit too.

Now that I think about it, I don't recall playing any quests with level-based kill counters. It's a good idea, as long as enemy respawning can be disabled entirely.

Overall: it was something.

More coming soon...

...though, it just occurred to me, wouldn't it be a giveaway that the only entry contestants didn't comment on was their own? Maybe I should review mine too, just to throw everybody off :P

Edited by Lüt, 30 March 2017 - 10:02 PM.

• CimFighter likes this

#30 CimFighter

CimFighter

CimFam/Writer

• Members

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:18 AM

In addition everyone can now comment with there guesses for the authors of each quest! :)

Im gonna not guess because I feel these could be made by anyone. I'll wait to see who made what.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Contest

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users