hookshot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SparksTheUnicorn

SparksTheUnicorn

Lonk, Hero of Lime

• Members

Posted 12 May 2020 - 10:36 PM

So for my quest, I had some ideas for a puzzle where you have to pull blocks sitting at the end of chasm into pits to form walkways by dragging them towards you with the hook-shot, however I then realized that the hook-shot doesn't actually have the ability to pull things towards Link it seems. I guess my question is if it would be possible to have a script that lets a hook-shot pull certain combos with a specified flag or ffc towards link?

Edited by SparksTheUnicron, 12 May 2020 - 11:03 PM.

#2 Russ

Russ

Caelan, the Encouraging

• Administrators

Posted 12 May 2020 - 11:44 PM

The answer is a "yes", but with a very large "... but-" following it.

It's doable, yes. ... But it would require a lot of work. Basically any object that is pullable with the hookshot would need be scripted. I mean, you could have it interact with non-scripted objects, but that would be somewhat messy, so it'd be easier to script your blocks and combos you want the hookshot to interact with. For your eample of a block being pulled by the hookshot to form a walkaway, the script would do... something long these lines. Every frame, it would scan all the lweapons on screen, looking for the hookshot head. If it find a hookshot head, and it's colliding with it, set its state to grabbed. As long as state is grabbed and the hookshot head is still valid (it hasn't disappeared because Link has retracted it fully), set its x and y position to the hookshot head's. Once the head is no longer valid, time to make a decision. Check the combo it's on. If it's a pit combo, change the pit combo to a walkway combo, then vanish. Otherwise, go back to being an ungrabbed block, ready to be grabbed again. To be solid while it's not moving, assuming you want it staying aligned with the grid, it would just need to place a solid combo underneath it.

All this is to say yes, it's doable. But it's somewhat complicated. Any such object would basically need to be made specifically for the quest, and any scripter who decided to do it would need very precise instructions from you on exactly how it would work and what it would do. If you're thinking about trying it yourself, I might advise trying your hand with some simpler stuff first, to get a handle for the kind of tricks it takes. Not to say you couldn't, just that it'd be a heck of a project to dive into right off the bat.

• ywkls likes this

#3 Emily

Emily

Scripter / Dev

• ZC Developers

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:52 AM

"Once the head is no longer valid, time to make a decision."
Well, presumably you would want to be checking for pits the entire time, not just once the head is no longer valid; otherwise you could pull it ACROSS the pit, instead of pulling it INTO the pit to form a bridge.

#4 ywkls

ywkls

Master

• Members

Posted 13 May 2020 - 10:02 AM

I want to make this very badly, but like Russ said; it's extremely complicated

Most likely it would need a scripted hookshot or target to function.

What I'm thinking of is something like those bridges in one of the GameBoy Zeldas which expand when hit with the hookshot.

I will probably try to make this for my own use and if I get anywhere, I will let you know.

#5 Saffith

Saffith

IPv7 user

• ZC Developers

Posted 13 May 2020 - 11:28 AM

I think you could do it more easily with Hookshot Trigger and Trigger -> Self Only flags. If a block changes to a different combo when it's hit, that's pretty simple for a script to detect. Then it just has to find the hookshot head and move the block to match it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hookshot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users